Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My question is has anyone ever heard of a cesarean birth linked to the condition of IBS?In short my problems with IBS started after the birth of my daughter June 2000. I didn't know I was pregnant until about 5 mos. along. I had surgery a month before I was pregnant.A very unexpected pregnancy but a true blessing.Over the last year I have had severe episodes that have caused me to be out of work weeks at time.I have had conseling,treated with several anti-depressants, acupunture,diet and excersise.This last episode started during Christmas and I am still having problems.thankyou for your website.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Celexa, welcome to the BB and the man to really thank for all this is Jeff Roberts. Any birth can cause your hormones and chemicals to get outta sorts and cause problems and it looks like you've been thru a lot trying to get well. I can relate to that part because I've also tried everything. In the upper left box there is usually an advertisement for Mike's hypnotape program that has helped many of us and I don't personally suffer IBS/D anymore. Go down to the "hop to" box and select the Cognitive...HypnotherapyBB and click on "go to" you can find Eric,Marilyn, and Mike Mahoney the hypnotherapist, and many more of us discussing how the tape program really helps and you can ask and get answers there. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
916 Posts
Celexa, welcome to the BB and the man to really thank for all this is Jeff Roberts. Any birth can cause your hormones and chemicals to get outta sorts and cause problems and it looks like you've been thru a lot trying to get well. I can relate to that part because I've also tried everything. In the upper left box there is usually an advertisement for Mike's hypnotape program that has helped many of us and I don't personally suffer IBS/D anymore. Go down to the "hop to" box and select the Cognitive...HypnotherapyBB and click on "go to" you can find Eric,Marilyn, and Mike Mahoney the hypnotherapist, and many more of us discussing how the tape program really helps and you can ask and get answers there. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Not that surgery specifically, but there are some people that think that abdominal surgery can trigger IBS.IBS is considered to be a disorder of the Enteric Nervous System. If the nerves controlling the gut are disrupted during the surgery this could trigger IBS.K.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Not that surgery specifically, but there are some people that think that abdominal surgery can trigger IBS.IBS is considered to be a disorder of the Enteric Nervous System. If the nerves controlling the gut are disrupted during the surgery this could trigger IBS.K.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Celexa,Welcome to the board! You will find lots of helpful information here.I had a C-Section in 1989, and I've had IBS problems ever since. I asked the gynecologist, and he doesn't seem to think it is related to the Cesarean birth. However, that is when all of my problems started.
What are your main symptoms?Hope you find the answer. I know it's not fun trying to raise kids and dealing with this crazy IBS.Darlene

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Celexa,Welcome to the board! You will find lots of helpful information here.I had a C-Section in 1989, and I've had IBS problems ever since. I asked the gynecologist, and he doesn't seem to think it is related to the Cesarean birth. However, that is when all of my problems started.
What are your main symptoms?Hope you find the answer. I know it's not fun trying to raise kids and dealing with this crazy IBS.Darlene

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I had IBS before my c-section but after my c-section I had a massive internal infection which triggered my Crohn's Disease. Adhesions can form in anyone who has had surgery. If you are more suceptible to getting adhesions then you could have developed them after your c-section. Your bowel might be stuck from adhesions and this might be the cause of your bowel problems. Unfortunately there is not much you can do for adhesions. If you try to remove them then they may just redevelop, especially if you are suceptible to them, and they could become worse than before. I had my adhesions removed during my second c-section but I still have them around my bladder and my bowel.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I had IBS before my c-section but after my c-section I had a massive internal infection which triggered my Crohn's Disease. Adhesions can form in anyone who has had surgery. If you are more suceptible to getting adhesions then you could have developed them after your c-section. Your bowel might be stuck from adhesions and this might be the cause of your bowel problems. Unfortunately there is not much you can do for adhesions. If you try to remove them then they may just redevelop, especially if you are suceptible to them, and they could become worse than before. I had my adhesions removed during my second c-section but I still have them around my bladder and my bowel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi - I had the same questions for a long time. It seemed like I went down hil lafter having my son emergency c-section. I have been on Remeron for 1 year now and it has saved my life. I was diagnosed iwth Post Partum Depression - and the Remeron is an anitdepressant for that and has anticholenergic (sp?) qualities which work on the ibs d

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi - I had the same questions for a long time. It seemed like I went down hil lafter having my son emergency c-section. I have been on Remeron for 1 year now and it has saved my life. I was diagnosed iwth Post Partum Depression - and the Remeron is an anitdepressant for that and has anticholenergic (sp?) qualities which work on the ibs d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.