Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone ever experienced somewhat of a change in their symptoms of IBS? When I was first diagnosed with IBS, my symptoms seemed to be the "classic" ones. Every once in a while shortly after eating, I would develop cramping and have one to five episodes of severe diarrhea. I always assumed that it was attributed to certain foods, but sometimes I could eat these foods with no problems and other times I could not.Most recently, my IBS symptoms seem to have changed somewhat. I wake in the morning with the urgency to get to the bathroom. I usually have one "normal for me" BM. About 1 to 2 hours later, I will feel the urgency and have another more watery BM. I don't seem to get the cramping so much anymore; just the urgency to go to the bathroom. I have recently had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and barium enema and my Dr. said everything was perfectly normal. No sign of polyps or anything else out of the ordinary. I had read something at one time that said that IBS symptoms usually don't change for an individual. This is why I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced a change in their symptoms over time. I was diagnosed originally with IBS over 10 years ago.Thank you so much for any info.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have had IBS for about 18 years and it seems like every couple of years my symptom complex changes. When first diagnosed I had a lot of early morning D. Now I have predominantly G, P and occasional D and feel more symptoms later in the day. I do have the urgency first thing in the morning too though and it is often a "normal for me" - maybe two. Now I'm more likely to have bad symptoms after a meal. I can't definitely relate it to what I eat either because when I'm doing good, I can eat almost anything, except dairy. When IBS is bad, it doesn't matter what I eat, I'm still bad.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have had IBS for about 18 years and it seems like every couple of years my symptom complex changes. When first diagnosed I had a lot of early morning D. Now I have predominantly G, P and occasional D and feel more symptoms later in the day. I do have the urgency first thing in the morning too though and it is often a "normal for me" - maybe two. Now I'm more likely to have bad symptoms after a meal. I can't definitely relate it to what I eat either because when I'm doing good, I can eat almost anything, except dairy. When IBS is bad, it doesn't matter what I eat, I'm still bad.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I started about 20, getting a pain attack of spasms only about once everyone 5 years. It then got more frequent with C. I now have D and pain. Have had that for about 3 years. It has somewhat improved with taking calcium the past few months.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I started about 20, getting a pain attack of spasms only about once everyone 5 years. It then got more frequent with C. I now have D and pain. Have had that for about 3 years. It has somewhat improved with taking calcium the past few months.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, I am 41 and have had IBS symptoms since I was 19...and coincidentally started birth control pills. Anyway my symptoms have changed throughout the years and throughout 3 pregnancies. I use to get more cramping than I do now and I use to usually have an episode after lunch (within an hour) if I was going to have one at all. It wasn't as bad as some people on this board, but enough to bother me. Anyway, now I'm better but I think my anxiety has gotten worse than before. I worry more about it and I shouldn't because I think it's more controlled w/ the remedies I take. The most noticeable change lately is if I get an episode of a "D" or loose stool, it's usually during the night or after I've been asleep for only an hour or two. I'll just go once but then I'm awake for a while because I want to make sure I'm done so I can sleep again. I also don't get pain anymore, just gas and grumbling. I use to have a yucky stomach the next day after cramping and diarrhea but now I don't, I'm fine after the one loose stool episode. Anyone else get this...It is more convenient since you're most likely to always be near you own bathroom during the night but it interrupts my sleep. It happens maybe 2-3 times a month I would say...anyone else know what I am talking about??

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, I am 41 and have had IBS symptoms since I was 19...and coincidentally started birth control pills. Anyway my symptoms have changed throughout the years and throughout 3 pregnancies. I use to get more cramping than I do now and I use to usually have an episode after lunch (within an hour) if I was going to have one at all. It wasn't as bad as some people on this board, but enough to bother me. Anyway, now I'm better but I think my anxiety has gotten worse than before. I worry more about it and I shouldn't because I think it's more controlled w/ the remedies I take. The most noticeable change lately is if I get an episode of a "D" or loose stool, it's usually during the night or after I've been asleep for only an hour or two. I'll just go once but then I'm awake for a while because I want to make sure I'm done so I can sleep again. I also don't get pain anymore, just gas and grumbling. I use to have a yucky stomach the next day after cramping and diarrhea but now I don't, I'm fine after the one loose stool episode. Anyone else get this...It is more convenient since you're most likely to always be near you own bathroom during the night but it interrupts my sleep. It happens maybe 2-3 times a month I would say...anyone else know what I am talking about??

·
Registered
423 Posts
My symptoms have definitely changed over the years. I was always C. I would have occasional attacks that were extremely painful. I would have a bowel movement around once a week typically. I always had trouble with gas. Then the attacks became very frequent (multiple painful attacks per week). I went to the doctor and was tested and I tried all the medications on the market and had bad side effects from them all. I have since started avoiding my trigger foods and I have been taking Probiotics, peppermint & slippery elm bark and various vitamins. I also drink lots of water. My attacks are much fewer and I have moved from completely C to C/D. Even my C is not very bad. I now get some urgency in the morning right after I eat & I can usually have a small bowel movement or two. Sometimes I have D but not too often. I will sometimes have bouts of C with gas for a few days especially if I've eaten my trigger foods.My IBS has changed radically. I would much rather deal with the urgency & mild to medium discomfort daily after I eat instead of the C for weeks then major attacks. The most recent change has been the nausea when I have C. That is horrible but I am not sure how to deal with it. Luckily I can stay fairly regular and I don't have to deal with C as often.P.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My symptoms have definitely changed over the years. I was always C. I would have occasional attacks that were extremely painful. I would have a bowel movement around once a week typically. I always had trouble with gas. Then the attacks became very frequent (multiple painful attacks per week). I went to the doctor and was tested and I tried all the medications on the market and had bad side effects from them all. I have since started avoiding my trigger foods and I have been taking Probiotics, peppermint & slippery elm bark and various vitamins. I also drink lots of water. My attacks are much fewer and I have moved from completely C to C/D. Even my C is not very bad. I now get some urgency in the morning right after I eat & I can usually have a small bowel movement or two. Sometimes I have D but not too often. I will sometimes have bouts of C with gas for a few days especially if I've eaten my trigger foods.My IBS has changed radically. I would much rather deal with the urgency & mild to medium discomfort daily after I eat instead of the C for weeks then major attacks. The most recent change has been the nausea when I have C. That is horrible but I am not sure how to deal with it. Luckily I can stay fairly regular and I don't have to deal with C as often.P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts