Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have had very sharp pains that start at my rectum and shoot clear to my sternum. When this happens the least amount of strain like squatting to pick something up or sometimes even sittimg will cause a small amount of incontinence. Is this something to be concerned with? Also, what type of protection do any of you wear if you have a risk of incontinence? jI've also had muscle pain and soreness all over my upper body lately. Plus a lot of pain starting in my thoracic spine about where my bra comes across and it radiates around my ribcage on both sides clear to my sternum. I am concerned over this. My muscles are also weaker than they should be. Picking up a textbook and carrying it seems to be unusually taxing. It is heavy but not THAT heavy. This probably has nothing to do with my IBS but I don't have any place to express my concern but here. I might mention my stools have been clay colored lately also. I watch my fat intake and sugar intake as I am diabetic now also. I also don't have a gall bladder. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sunny - I think you should get yourself to a doctor. I have sharp pains a little bit like you described and my doc has always attributed it to a pinched nerve or muscle strain, but I don't have the other symptoms you have. From what I've read, the clay colored stools could be indicating a liver problem, such as hepatitis or a bile blockage (I googled "clay colored stool" and found some info that way). Please go and have this checked out!! There is really no way to tell what is causing this unless you do.I read your post about the lack of support here. I have noticed that, too, and that's why I don't come here much any more, to any of the forums. I just check in every so often but don't stay long. :love: Lauralee

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Incontinence "can be" corrected by surgery.Do a search on Interstim.BTW Medtronic is the company who sell it.The first link above is their web site.Some people use Tampax just in case of an accident.SEE there is support. :love:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Clay colored stools indicate that your body is not breaking down dietary fat. This is serious. The fact that you do not have a gallbladder would indicate the reason for the lack of bile. Your case is not a simple one. To start, you should be in regular contact with a GI doctor. I also recommend seeking the help of a certified nutritionist who specializes in digestive disorders and diabetes. As for what to do about incontinence protection� http://www.homecaredelivered.com/catalog/i...b.php?type_id=7 Do Kegel exercises daily to improve bladder control. Make an appointment with your doctor to make sure this is not a sign of something more serious. I am concerned with the proliferation of your symptoms.FOOD INTOLERANCES & INFLAMMATIONThe pain that you describe is systemic inflammation and may be attributed to the malabsorption problems you are having in your gut, as well as the development of multiple food sensitivities. Take an ELISA or ALCAT test with the aid of a nutritionist who can come up with a �safe food� plan individualized for you.ELISA http://www.meridianvalleylab.com/allergy_dept.html ALCAT http://www.alcat.com/ NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTSAs for what to do about the fat malabsorption, I recommend the following supplements:1) High-potency Digestive Enzymes. Purpose: Assist your body in breaking down fat, carbs, and protein so that it can be absorbed properly. Dosage: 1 with each meal and/or snack. http://www.enzymedica.com/digestive_enzyme_supplements.php 2) Ox Bile. Purpose: Support the body in emulsifying (breaking down) dietary fat. Dosage: 1 with each meal. http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/pro...=PN&bt=products DIETI cannot recommend an individualized diet for you because I have not done a full intake and assessment of your symptoms; however, I can make general recommendations that apply to what you have described.I assume you are a Type II diabetic, but regardless of which type, you need to cut your carb intake dramatically if you want to eliminate the impending consequences of this disease. Cutting carb intake to 60g/day is essential. This breaks down as follows:Breakfast 15g carbSnack 7.5gLunch 15gSnack 7.5gDinner 15gTOTAL 60g carbohydratesYour plate should look like 50% non-starchy vegetables with 2-3oz lean protein for every meal. The carbs should be in the quantities described above. Fat intake should be minimal, because you cannot break it down. Get this book and read it: �The Schwarzbein Principle� by Diana Schwarzbein, M.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/155...2407115-3046528 What I have said here is just the beginning of a long journey to wellness. If you are serious about seeking help for your body, find yourself a certified nutrition consultant. This person will be able to work in collaboration with your doctor and yourself to help you make the necessary diet and lifestyle changes. Plan on signing up for the long haul. You will likely need to see the nutritionist once a week to once every 3 weeks for a couple of years (or more) in order to get yourself on track. You have had a lifetime of habits that have lead to your body�s current state and it is not an overnight fix.Finally, I recommend attending a local OA meeting. You sound like you very much need support right now and I think it might help you to join a community of people who have issues with food, regardless of whether they are exactly the same as your own issues. http://www.oa.org/about_oa.html ~L

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laylo,Thank you for your answer and information. I assumed the clay colored stools which have now changed color to a more normal brown was due to lack of bile. I can't think what I ate that would have set it off. I eat a LOT of veggies at each meal plus some protein usually in the form of beef or chicken and not an excessive amount. I didn't have any idea the amount of carbs or the distribution. My doc did send me to diabetic class but Medicare will only pay for so much and I am on a fixed income so paying the extra was out of the question. I am type II. When I see my doc at the end of this month I am going to ask for a referral to an indo for starts. I always get concerned with cancer as it is very prevalent in my family in different forms. The back and rib pain also concerns me. I don't know if it is from an injury or something else is going on. Spas, Laralee and Laylo, I appreciate your answers. I will investigate the websites you have posted and do my best to seek better medical help than I now have. Thank you so much for answering me.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
One other note re Diabetes. There are a couple of multi-vitamin mineral supplement brands that may help bring your numbers down. I use one of them and I have an e-mail of someone who has found a great difference with the other. Drop me a line and I will provide you with relevant info.Good luck in finding the source of your other pains.Mark

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark, I was afraid to check my BGL this morning. I strayed terribly from my diet yesterday and ate a piece of my granson's birthday cake. He just turned 21. I felt I needed to help celebrate. My numbers usually run under 110. That isn't bad considering I was diagnosed in July last year with the levels being 180. Thanks for the good wishes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
sunny i get these pains too exactly like you described them. I have been in and out of hospital for years as i have a very weak bladder, i got it streched last year but to no avail as im still running to the loo constantly (ive mentioned that on here before) im literally at the end of my tether as (im not being disgusting here) if its not coming out of one end its the other. Its bad enough having ibs-d without having an over active bladder, once before i thought right ill drink less and it did stop me going to the loo as much but i was silly enough to hardly drink a thing and i ended up being dehydrated, you just cant win.Yo spas i have did the pelvic floor exercises and they didnt improve my water works at all
god i hope when i go to "the other side" im as fit as a fiddle
sorry if ive went on in this post too much

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sunny I'd also have this looked at. I wonder if you got a fissure or something on the bottom end that is causing the pain.With diabetes there is always going to be some nerve pain issues. I think most of this is non-IBS related. Standard disclaimer (do not assume new symptoms are just your IBS).K.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Spas.I emailed Medtronic a few days ago to ask a question about whether their implant could help with gas or incomplete evacuation. I have had no response yet....the story of my life. It might help with my nocturia, if nothing else, as I get a very disturbed night's sleep. Maybe it only helps urinary and faecal incontinence and nothing else.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Arnie,the trial are "under investigation".Medtronic aren't even aware of the use of some of their products by some researchers.Arnie,contact the representative in your area.They probably knows more than the girl who answer the e-mail.
Feel free to send me an e-mail. :love: BTW,it should take around one week for them to answer your e-mail.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kath, I had the nerve pain before the diabetes diagnosis. It is caused due to scaring on the nerves in my lumbar/sacral area. Multiple back injuries. the incontinence is bowel not bladder. Sorry I didn't make that clear. I think it is a good point that something else could be wrong. I certainly hope not. I don't need that. I'm going to have to support us as soon as I can finish college.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I thought you meant bowel incontenance.I'm not sure if any of the rectal pain problems are more associated with incontenance. (I was thinking maybe a fissure because that might mess with things keeping closed).There is Levator ani syndrome and proctalgia fugax
quote:Levator Ani Syndrome is caused by chronic tension of the levator muscle. Proctalgia fugax is caused by rectal muscle spasm. Proctalgia fugax and levator ani syndrome have not been found to be of psychosomatic origin, although stressful events may trigger attacks.
I don't know if either is associated with incontenance or the pain coming back up the body.I do know when the spot in my lower back goes out that seems to trigger rectal spasms and I feel like I have to go a lot.Here is an artical on PF http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles...algiafugax.html And on on the LA http://ezinearticles.com/?Levator-Ani-Synd...e-Butt!&id=8594 K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.