Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usually suffer from constipation with my ibs. there have been three times in the past year that i have had diarrhea. two of them, i attributed to changes in medications i was on. last night i had a terribly painful, large, and hard bm. It would not exit my body. it was stuck at the exit point, where i was unable to get off the toilet because it was partially out. i ended up sitting there for an hour and i had to end up using toilet paper and my hands to help it out. today i experienced a much runnier bm. it was not watery, but definitely diarrhea compared to normal for me. can this diarrhea be caused by my experience from last night and is it normal for a primarily constipation sufferer to get sudden loose stool from ibs. my main worry is that this may be a virus that is going around my area, but as this happened once last fall and once in april, i was wondering if this is ibs. the painful, large, hard stool as it was last night is not something that has happened ever. should i go to the doctor for this?

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Sometimes the body does respond to constipation by sending looser stools to "flush" things out. It is called "paradoxical diarrhea". This is also why some people alternate between C and D (often starting the day C but becoming D after awhile).If you have not had your constipation evaluated by the doctor, or you are not able to really control it on your own even if you saw the doctor before, you should probably go and see what may be needed.K.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my biggest concern now is not the diarrhea, but the terrible bowel movement. i have had lower abdominal pain since then that is not quite normal for me. i worry that it may have torn or done something to the lining of my intestines. should i wait a few days or see my doctor now?

· Registered
33,934 Posts
You know your body better than anyone else, so if you feel something is very wrong it is usually worth going to the doctor (but I would call and probably talk this over with the nurse to see if they thought I needed to be seen right away, or if they have suggestions as to what to do).Sometimes after a bad IBS episode people are achier than usual for awhile afterward.Usually if you tore/damaged anything in there you would have bleeding that you would notice.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.