Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have many people found these capsules useful? And what dosage do you take?Thanks so much. i am desperate and Mindy (a member) mentioned that these have been helpful for her. Just wondering what others think. I have bought some capsules and wanted some feedback on how to take them.Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally they don't seem to be very effective.I think charcoal only aborbs gasses when it is dry. It will absorb vitamins and stuff when wet, so can do more harm than good.You might try probiotics to reduce gas volume produced from your food or digestive enzymes with pancreatin in them for bloating (the prescription ones might according to some clinical studies, and OTC ones worked for me).K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Charcoal and Pepto Bismol were toxic for me. Charcoal increased constipation and there is actually a warning label on Pepto Bismol that you shouldn't take if for a long period of time. It could cause a variety of other problems for you. I was taking it when I was desperate too but it wasn't helpful. I am using peppermint oil capsules after each meal and drink lots of chamomile and peppermint tea now.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What do you mean by toxic?That you had side effects? What kind?Bismuth poisoning takes really high doses for a long time and causes neurological problems, which reverse if you stop it.For flatus odor control people in the clinical studies took 8 doses (1/2 the max) ever day for 6 weeks without getting bismuth poisoning, so it isn't that easy to do.K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.