Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone get else get alot of charlie horses and/or joint pains??? what the heck are they all about? also do people go on disability for ibs? I have been out of work for about three weeks now. I hope to return however things seem to be getting worse instead of better. I have ibs-d with tons of nausea off and on through the whole day and now the joint pain and charlie horses....doc put me on zoloft but I stopped it after two weeks because I was losing a ton of weight from being sick and I think that is causing me to put it back on plus getting acne from it i think....anyway can anybody help please?thank-you......Sicky

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are getting a lot of charlie horses and not doing a lot of exercise that would pull your muscles...There is something you could try that might help this AND the IBS-D..Some people find that calcium carbonate supplements help the IBS-D 300-600 mgs with each meal.Chronic muscle spasm/pain is also sometimes resolved by upping Calcium...so this could be a two for one shot
Look on the Over The Counter section (see it in the hop to below) and look for LNAPE's posts. She has had good luck with this and has helped many people get this to work for them.K.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are getting a lot of charlie horses and not doing a lot of exercise that would pull your muscles...There is something you could try that might help this AND the IBS-D..Some people find that calcium carbonate supplements help the IBS-D 300-600 mgs with each meal.Chronic muscle spasm/pain is also sometimes resolved by upping Calcium...so this could be a two for one shot
Look on the Over The Counter section (see it in the hop to below) and look for LNAPE's posts. She has had good luck with this and has helped many people get this to work for them.K.K.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I take calcium 3x day and excercise 7 days/week. But I still have occasional cramp in the legs or feet (usually at night). I have found that quinine caps prevent cramp. You may need a prescription for it. Used to be OTC in the US but no longer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I take calcium 3x day and excercise 7 days/week. But I still have occasional cramp in the legs or feet (usually at night). I have found that quinine caps prevent cramp. You may need a prescription for it. Used to be OTC in the US but no longer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
hi sicky, i get pains in my leg and wrists and sometimes like today it was so bad i had trouble getting my balance and walking, the pain is hellish
i applied for disability about 4 months ago and was turned down (apparantly theres nothing wrong with me) i was basically made to feel like a criminal and that ibs is just like having a dose of the green apple splatters (erm if you know what i mean
)i am applying for disability again i may get it or i may not, anyway ill let you know on here

·
Registered
686 Posts
hi sicky, i get pains in my leg and wrists and sometimes like today it was so bad i had trouble getting my balance and walking, the pain is hellish
i applied for disability about 4 months ago and was turned down (apparantly theres nothing wrong with me) i was basically made to feel like a criminal and that ibs is just like having a dose of the green apple splatters (erm if you know what i mean
)i am applying for disability again i may get it or i may not, anyway ill let you know on here

·
Registered
336 Posts
Has your doctor checked your potassium levels recently? If not, ask to have them checked, it's a simple blood test. Your doctor can prescribe supplements to increase your levels if you need it. If you do a search for "low potassium and leg cramps" on google, you'll get lots of links about it. Can't hurt!-kac

·
Registered
336 Posts
Has your doctor checked your potassium levels recently? If not, ask to have them checked, it's a simple blood test. Your doctor can prescribe supplements to increase your levels if you need it. If you do a search for "low potassium and leg cramps" on google, you'll get lots of links about it. Can't hurt!-kac

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sicky,Not sure where you live. I live in Ca. and was able to get temporary disability when my IBS was real severe. Permanent disability is another story. That is harder to get. If you think you just need some time off to work on getting a little more in control, your doctor should be able to help with that. I was on disability for 6 and a half months. Turns out H. Pylori bacteria was a big culprit in my severe IBS.Hope it works out for you.Take Care,Joyce

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sicky,Not sure where you live. I live in Ca. and was able to get temporary disability when my IBS was real severe. Permanent disability is another story. That is harder to get. If you think you just need some time off to work on getting a little more in control, your doctor should be able to help with that. I was on disability for 6 and a half months. Turns out H. Pylori bacteria was a big culprit in my severe IBS.Hope it works out for you.Take Care,Joyce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.