Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mild chemical colitis about 6 months ago diagnosed from a colonoscopy, from the time I got it I was always in pain and had reasonably loose stools. The pain was not going away so after 3 weeks I had another colonoscopy and the colitis had cleared completely up and my doctor said that the pain is probably due to my bowels being sensitive. It has been six months and I still have not had much improvement on my condition, but after taking some herb supplyments for bowel complaints I have had some relief. Everyone of my symptoms points to IBS.My question is ,has anyone else had IBS come on them suddenly? Or Did I already have the condition ,but the colitis made it worse? I have been concerned about ulcerative colitis too, as reading on the internet , chemical colitis can be a trigger for UC, anyone have any good info on that?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS has been found to be triggered by things that inflame the colon (the -itis means inflammation).Food poisoning or the "stomach flu" is a common trigger. Coming on suddenly is really pretty common for IBS.Some people with autoimmune colitis end up with functional symptoms (IBS) that continue even when the inflammation is in remission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen. I read your story and I think it will help a lot. These supplyments are starting to have effect I think, as I am having one regular bowel movement everyday, although I still have some pain at times during the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not exactly sure what it is, but I believe it is a probiotic with a few other vitamins and minerals for the bowel. The pain I feel is sort of like a burning sensation at times, but this comes and goes. Anybody eles have that complaint?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts