Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can gas cause your chest to hurt? I have pain right under my left breast, it feels like right over my heart. It doesn't feel like heartburn, it's more of a dull ache. I notice it when I've had a really bad bout of gas and bloating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi JennyI have been having pain under my right rib for months now. I suffer with IBS, so I don't know if it is connected with that. Doctors can't help me, but like you it is a dull ache, more annoying than anything and worse the more active I am.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have they tried putting you on medication for heartburn. If it's severe tums and over the counter meds won't help it. If they haven't i would check it out. I have severe heart burn and what your explaining sounds like heart burn symptoms. I'm on prevacid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try to establish a regular eating pattern, i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. Think small portions. Cut down on fat. Leave alcohol alone altogether until you are better. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SNACK BETWEEN MEALS. This only exacerbates the problems.Good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ulcers, too, cause pain in the same area(s) described in this thread. I would guess that IBS sufferers may be prone to NSAID-caused peptic ulcers because they pop NSAID pain relievers (aspirin, ibuprofin, aleve) more often than may be recommended. Package warning labels under-report the ulcer risks (just like Tylenol used to under-report the risk of liver damage form an OD).

·
Registered
140 Posts
sharp pain in just below left nipple. Kind of sharp and can have it for hours. Does not go away if I burp or BM. is gone next day if when I wake up. It becomes painful when I take a full breathHave not had this before I get it like once a week. Noticed it the first time I took my anti-deppressants (Nortriptyline 10mg). What do you think board?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I also have a pain in the middle at bottom of rib cage. Burping helps releave pain. I use lots of OTC meds for migraines. Could aspirin and caffine causing an ulcer. ??What would the sympthons of liver problems be; since I am now using that. Dr cut back my Imitrex.
As much as I hate to take Earthgarden's advice there is a lot of truth in it. Constant snacking can cause problems. You wind up eating much more than you think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also will get that pain, usually under my right rib cage area, sometimes even hurts to press on it. In one of the IBS books I have, the Dr. discusses excess gas, and ways to try and prevent it. He wrote that there are 2 areas in the uppermost areas of the colon where when air rises it will have a tendency to accumulate. The upper right area is called hepatic flexure and the upper left area is called splenic flexure. The book says the more common of the 2 areas to trap air and produce bloating and pain is the left side known as "splenic flexure syndrome". The book also suggests and I agree to check with your Dr. on your symptoms if you have not already done so. Hope everyone is doing ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JD, I have the same exact pain you're feeling, so I'm glad I'm not alone. Something that feels like pain in my heart is very scary. Don't know if it's heartburn or not, dull ache is a good way to describe it. Keep us filled in if you get some answers about this! I'd definitely appreciate it!Anyone experience a burning pain below the breast bone? I believe it is concentrated in the stomach, and sometimes it's very painful. Could be a sign of ulcers? Or maybe caused by GERD?

·
Registered
766 Posts
LifelongibsI am interested in the Hepatic Flexure ? I have done a little research on this subject and have found some causes but as yet no solutions.I would be very interested if you have any insights or comments.Thank youEm

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too get a sharp burning pain in my right breast sometimes. I remember it hurt so much one night that i was convinced i had breast cancer or something. I don't get it that often, but when i do its really awful and worries me - its usually an hour or so after eating it happens. If u find out what it is please let me know. Also what is GERD?

·
Registered
61 Posts
em., In the book I mentioned the Dr. mainly gives suggestions for decreasing intestinal gas including that gas which is "trapped" and causing the "flexure". I am not sure if I can post the name of the book and the author? If I can I will be happy to do so, as I have found it to have some helpful information. If anyone knows if we can post such info, please let me know. Otherwise, if you want a list of some of the book's suggestions let me know and I will post them. I still haven't found anything that works wonders for me with my gas, pain, and bloating; but I have managed to learn to "get along" with my stomach for the most part... I take gas-x pretty much everyday and tums-ex daily, hot baths, laying on my stomach (if I can tolerate it), etc. Carla_777, GERD is Gastroesphogeal Reflux Disease, or Acid Reflux, sometimes treated with prescriptions like Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium, etc. Hope everyone is doing ok. Kandy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carla_777, The active ingredient in gas-x is simethicone 80mg in one regular strenth chewable tablet. I'm not sure if it is available in the UK; I am a fairly new poster here, maybe someone else knows? The directions on the package for adults are to chew 1 or 2 tablets as needed after meals and at bedtime, do not exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours except under the advice and supervision of a Physician. I usually chew 1-2 daily, in the afternoon about 2 p.m. and if needed again at night around 9 or 10 p.m. I still have problems with pain, bloating, and gas, but the gas-x does help alleviate some of my symptoms. Good Luck to you. Kandy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thankx LifelongibsI would appreciate, if you wouldnt mind maybe, emailing me the name of the book etc.I would be very interested also if you have to stear clear of any food groups or anything in particular that you do. I suffer from this pain most nights so any help would be much appreciated.Thank you very muchEm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you everyone!I was beginning to think that I was the only one with these symptoms. The pain under my left ribcage and left breast have been so anoying. I did see my doctor about it. I have had a scope done but my stomach is fine. I am on Nexium but it doesn't help, also on Zelnorm. I recently had an ultrasound to check out other organs. All is well. I was honestly beginning to think that I was going crazy. After reading your posts it feels so good to know that I am not alone. This site has really helped me to cope much better knowing I am not alone.Thank you everyone.LoveMelanie :love:

·
Registered
61 Posts
em.I will be happy to e-mail you the name of the book and the author, but I don't know your e-mail or how to get it. I really have no "method to the madness" of the foods I avoid, sometimes one food will really get me, and the next time it won't.
The one food I never eat is corn
. I try to take time the same time of the day to go to the restroom, even if it is "for nothing", this seems to help. I guess I am just used to the gas, bloating, and pain, if the pain gets too bad I will take a lorcet. I also will lay on a warm heating pad, and my husband is very good to rub my back, which helps relax me, and eases the pain. Right now I am on a medical leave from work to have surgery, in the morning as a matter of fact, so my ibs has been better, probably in part due to less stress. Take care, and hope you do ok. Kandy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear LifelongibsI hope you surgery went ok and your recovery is quick. xMy email address is emma.moran###ntlworld.comMy pain is most night no matter what I do and dont eat. I have had every test under the sun which has come up with nothing for the pain. I take morphene as the pain is so bad but I dont want to take it for long. So any help to atleast ease it alittle would be appreciated.Take Care and Thank you.Em

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.