Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a 21 yr old male and been dealing with stomach issues for awhile, awhile back i was having chest pains so i went to the doc and they did blood work, echocardiogram, holter monitor, and a stress test and they said that all the tests came back completely normal. here lately ive been having some chest pains again kinda like a dull constant pain that comes and goes right by my left titty where my heart is, and sometimes i can feel like a hard pulse like twitch kinda in my neck and it makes me feel weird. and when the pain starts ill sit there and feel my pulse with my fingers on my neck to see if its beating right and ill scare myself and my heart starts racing and i start feeling worse. any ideas? could there be something wrong with my heart that any of those tests wouldn't have detected or would that be pretty much impossible?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I have had sharp little pains there since I was in my 20s. (Now in my 60s.) I suspect it is the source of the word "heartburn."Do you suffer from chronic indigestion? Sometimes GERD will feel like a heart attack.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Those are all the right tests for the heart.Panic and fear will make your heart pound and race, and it sounds like you have enough anxiety from some of your posts for that to cause problems.You can also have pain from the joints in the ribs that allow you to breath. For me that is more the dull constant pain that just comes and goes when I'm not doing anything.I tend to have migraines and they think my exercise-induced heart pain is just the blood flow in the heart having the same issues that cause the pains in my head. It is common for people with migranes to have completely non-signifcant heart pain with exercise.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, it just scares me because of where the pain is, for the past 4 days it has been like that, but it hasn't been like that in awhile from the previous time which was about a year or more ago. it happens just anytime, usually when im just sitting around not doing anything, and then i start worrying about it and i feel like im getting shortness of breath and i just start to feel really bad like im about to die and i calm down and that goes away but i still have the chest pains, my doc gave me some lexapro to take for anxiety but im to scared to take the dang things. im just stupid i know for not taking them but i dont know what to do!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have digestive distress associated with the pains? Do you have nausea and D too? Does the pain seem to come on about an hour or so after eating? I had gallstones and had major digestive symptoms along with chest pains when I had gallbladder "attacks." You may have gallstones or a faulty gallbladder. One possibility to investigate. One way or the other I'd try the meds your doctor gave you, they'll keep panic at bay, and panic will worsen any condition.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Your Dr. can't help you if you don't follow his advice cookie; my advice is to take the medication your Dr. prescribed to help your anxiety. If you're too scared to take a medication for anxiety, I would say you really need the medicine. Hope you end up following your Dr's advice. Take care.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont have d very often at all. i dont know what digestive distress is?? and the pain doesn't really come at any given time, just worse when i dont have anything in my stomach, like after an hour after i wake up if i dont eat then im in serious pain and i have to go and find something to eat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've been having the chest pain still, this has been going on for about a week now, i dont know what it is, it comes and goes and just feels like pressure, discomfort kinda, and sometimes i feel a flutering sensation in my chest and neck, and sometimes i get kinda like a fleeting chocking sensation in my throat, thats the best that i can really explain it. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You've had the tests for heart problems already...You said yourself that your anxiety was very bad; you went to the ER for an anxiety attack... So that leads me to my question: Have you started taking your medicine yet?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I agree. Sounds exactly like anxiety/panic attack since all your heart tests are normal.I get rapid heart beat for non-anxiety reasons. Feels just like what a panic attack feels like. I have to keep really calm to get it to stop. Lay down, slow deep breaths. As soon as I feel I have to make it stop, I can't.It is not a heart attack or any other life threatening thing, but it can feel like what I would think dying would feel like. Oh, and the monitor your work, that rules that physical issue out, so that doesn't sound like your problem, but panic attacks and my heart rate issue have all the same symptoms, just a different cause.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I feel a flutter but it is like the heart is beating double time more than what I would think of as a skipped beat.What you describe sounds like a panic/anxiety attack. My heart issues feel exactly like that except I'm not emotionally anxious when they hit.K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.