Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know for sure where to begin to ask what I am trying to find out. I watch our grandaughter who is 4 almost 5 years old. Yesterday she started complaining of a tummy ache. I thought maybe she had to go to the bathroom but she didn't. She often complains of tummy aches but they ususally resolve themselves within 30 minutes or so. She got to the point that she could not even walk it hurt so bad. Her mom took her to the ER, and they also were very concerned. They took blood, urine and did an ultrasound. I am sure they were checking several things among others, appendix and to make sure she had no twisted bowel etc. She did end up throwing up once at the hospital about 4 hours after this whole episode happened. Everything checked out ok and they sent her home 4 1/2 hours later with a script for something for gas. Now my grandaughter had some trouble with milk products as a baby but has done fine with them now for years.My daughter also has had stomach and intestinal problems for years. When my daughter was around my grandaughters age we had to take her once to the Dr. for the same type symptoms and we were given a script for something for spasms. Now my questions- Are these type of conditions sometimes hereditary?Can these problems start this early and have to be dealt with for the rest of ones life?Just what is the likelihood of my grandaughter having all of the gas and spasm problems already?I am sorry if I rambled, I am just trying to figure this all out.Thanks, mom and grandma

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi MomtoL...your story sounds like a repeat of my childhood years. It sure sounds like your grandchild has the symptoms of IBS, and yes you can inherit it from family genes. I was five when my first attack can be remembered. I'm now 51, and I have dealt with this all my life until I was diagnosed with depression in 1996 (life circumstances)and found the med to help with the pain. It will not cure IBS, but will surely help one to be able to function with life better. Good luck with your little one..I know how she feels.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hi MomtoL, here is a website from the International Foundation for Functional Disorders on kids gi problems.Hope that helps. http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.