Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to see a Chinese Herb Doctor in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have read much about the success of herbal teas in the treatment of ibs/D. Specifically the Bowel Soothe advetised on this website. I would be interested in whether or not anyone else has tried this route. I'm willing to try just about anything, the medications talked about here I don't believe are available in Canada.Thanks, Kimba

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually I ran across a website talking about traditional chinese medicine and IBS, and had meant to ask if anyone on here had tried any of it, but i guess i forgot... I did bookmark the site because i found it interesting, but didn't go through it all that in depth... but maybe you would be interested in reading some of the info since you're going to see a chinese herb doctor, and it might give you some background info and help you understand more what he/she tells you... anyway the website is... http://www.beyondwellbeing.com/ibs/ i'd also be interested in hearing what you find out tomorrow too =) and if anyone else has more info regarding the subject... I, for one, don't like taking medications if i don't have to, but wouldn't have as much of a problem taking something natural that doesn't have a mile long list of side effects =P I wonder sometimes how many of the problems people have are derived from the medications that they take or have taken previously... ah well... keep me posted =)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually I ran across a website talking about traditional chinese medicine and IBS, and had meant to ask if anyone on here had tried any of it, but i guess i forgot... I did bookmark the site because i found it interesting, but didn't go through it all that in depth... but maybe you would be interested in reading some of the info since you're going to see a chinese herb doctor, and it might give you some background info and help you understand more what he/she tells you... anyway the website is... http://www.beyondwellbeing.com/ibs/ i'd also be interested in hearing what you find out tomorrow too =) and if anyone else has more info regarding the subject... I, for one, don't like taking medications if i don't have to, but wouldn't have as much of a problem taking something natural that doesn't have a mile long list of side effects =P I wonder sometimes how many of the problems people have are derived from the medications that they take or have taken previously... ah well... keep me posted =)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They have been doing some clinical trials with some formulas and like most everything else with IBS some people get some relief from them.The concern is that you find a good practioner and you stop taking them and see a Western doctor if you have any side effects from these medications (they typically aren't very well regulated at least in the US). Some of the herbs can be powerful and toxic and if you are having side effects you may need to have that checked out to make sure they go away (and some TCM formulations have some overtly toxic things like mercury in them so it is better to be overly cautious about side effects....alot of toxicities can be reversed if they are caught early on).AuthorsBensoussan A. Talley NJ. Hing M. Menzies R. Guo A. Ngu M.InstitutionResearch Unit for Complementary Medicine, University of Western Sydney Macarthur, Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia. a.bensoussan###uws.edu.auTitleTreatment of irritable bowel syndrome with Chinese herbal medicine: a randomized controlled trial. [see comments].CommentsComment in: ACP J Club. 1999 May-Jun;130(3):74, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1035-6; discussion 1036-7, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1035; discussion 1036-7, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1036-7SourceJAMA. 280(18):1585-9, 1998 Nov 11.Local MessagesHSL has complete holdings.AbstractCONTEXT: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common functional bowel disorder for which there is no reliable medical treatment. OBJECTIVE: To determine whether Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) is of any benefit in the treatment of IBS. DESIGN: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial conducted during 1996 through 1997. SETTING: Patients were recruited through 2 teaching hospitals and 5 private practices of gastroenterologists, and received CHM in 3 Chinese herbal clinics. PATIENTS: A total of 116 patients who fulfilled the Rome criteria, an established standard for diagnosis of IBS. INTERVENTION: Patients were randomly allocated to 1 of 3 treatment groups: individualized Chinese herbal formulations (n = 38), a standard Chinese herbal formulation (n = 43), or placebo (n = 35). Patients received 5 capsules 3 times daily for 16 weeks and were evaluated regularly by a traditional Chinese herbalist and by a gastroenterologist. Patients, gastroenterologists, and herbalists were all blinded to treatment group. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Change in total bowel symptom scale scores and global improvement assessed by patients and gastroenterologists and change in the degree of interference in life caused by IBS symptoms assessed by patients. RESULTS: Compared with patients in the placebo group, patients in the active treatment groups (standard and individualized CHM) had significant improvement in bowel symptom scores as rated by patients (P=.03) and by gastroenterologists (P=.001), and significant global improvement as rated by patients (P=.007) and by gastroenterologists (P=.002). Patients reported that treatment significantly reduced the degree of interference with life caused by IBS symptoms (P=.03). Chinese herbal formulations individually tailored to the patient proved no more effective than standard CHM treatment. On follow-up 14 weeks after completion of treatment, only the individualized CHM treatment group maintained improvement. CONCLUSION: Chinese herbal formulations appear to offer improvement in symptoms for some patients with IBS. [Note the standardize formula has been used to make a product called calm colon]K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They have been doing some clinical trials with some formulas and like most everything else with IBS some people get some relief from them.The concern is that you find a good practioner and you stop taking them and see a Western doctor if you have any side effects from these medications (they typically aren't very well regulated at least in the US). Some of the herbs can be powerful and toxic and if you are having side effects you may need to have that checked out to make sure they go away (and some TCM formulations have some overtly toxic things like mercury in them so it is better to be overly cautious about side effects....alot of toxicities can be reversed if they are caught early on).AuthorsBensoussan A. Talley NJ. Hing M. Menzies R. Guo A. Ngu M.InstitutionResearch Unit for Complementary Medicine, University of Western Sydney Macarthur, Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia. a.bensoussan###uws.edu.auTitleTreatment of irritable bowel syndrome with Chinese herbal medicine: a randomized controlled trial. [see comments].CommentsComment in: ACP J Club. 1999 May-Jun;130(3):74, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1035-6; discussion 1036-7, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1035; discussion 1036-7, Comment in: JAMA. 1999 Sep 15;282(11):1036-7SourceJAMA. 280(18):1585-9, 1998 Nov 11.Local MessagesHSL has complete holdings.AbstractCONTEXT: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common functional bowel disorder for which there is no reliable medical treatment. OBJECTIVE: To determine whether Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) is of any benefit in the treatment of IBS. DESIGN: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial conducted during 1996 through 1997. SETTING: Patients were recruited through 2 teaching hospitals and 5 private practices of gastroenterologists, and received CHM in 3 Chinese herbal clinics. PATIENTS: A total of 116 patients who fulfilled the Rome criteria, an established standard for diagnosis of IBS. INTERVENTION: Patients were randomly allocated to 1 of 3 treatment groups: individualized Chinese herbal formulations (n = 38), a standard Chinese herbal formulation (n = 43), or placebo (n = 35). Patients received 5 capsules 3 times daily for 16 weeks and were evaluated regularly by a traditional Chinese herbalist and by a gastroenterologist. Patients, gastroenterologists, and herbalists were all blinded to treatment group. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Change in total bowel symptom scale scores and global improvement assessed by patients and gastroenterologists and change in the degree of interference in life caused by IBS symptoms assessed by patients. RESULTS: Compared with patients in the placebo group, patients in the active treatment groups (standard and individualized CHM) had significant improvement in bowel symptom scores as rated by patients (P=.03) and by gastroenterologists (P=.001), and significant global improvement as rated by patients (P=.007) and by gastroenterologists (P=.002). Patients reported that treatment significantly reduced the degree of interference with life caused by IBS symptoms (P=.03). Chinese herbal formulations individually tailored to the patient proved no more effective than standard CHM treatment. On follow-up 14 weeks after completion of treatment, only the individualized CHM treatment group maintained improvement. CONCLUSION: Chinese herbal formulations appear to offer improvement in symptoms for some patients with IBS. [Note the standardize formula has been used to make a product called calm colon]K.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of taking into account what KM has posted vis a vis the use of "Chinese herbal medicine" in IBS. Approach this with caution.There are specific herbal extracts that have been used in oriental medicine which are known to possess immunomodulating effects. These effects are beneficial in certain IBS symptom sets, especially in d-type and cyclics, as there is an aberrant immune rsponse occurring in the small bowel which leads to the symptoms and which can be attenuated...AFTER one has ruled out active infection with a pathogen. This is your GI docs job.ONE MUST restrict oneself to the use of a specific "Chinese herbal" formulation which has been objectively tested and is prepared as a standardized formulation under contolled conditions, as in the abstract posted.So many people with IBS are on other medications which can interract with certain herbs which may be part of the countless formulations associated with "chinese herbal medicine" (which is about as specific a word as saying "nutriceuticals")that even a preparation which was compounded properly so as to avoid the inclusion of potential toxins (the other big problem with compounding) can have pronounced side effects which you will not like, and which may be dangerous. This is an area, unless approached cautiously, can be akin to experimenting with alchemy.There are specific chinese herbs which are effective, and some very well known and widely published immunologists have evaluated them. But you have to access the specific standard preparatuions that have ben investigated as KM states, very diplomatically. I am less diplomatic as this must carry a warning sign.......Don't be an "Ah, So..." when it comes to Chinese herbs.Where is Fluxies' Robbie The Robot ["Warning Will robinson!"] when we need it?MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of taking into account what KM has posted vis a vis the use of "Chinese herbal medicine" in IBS. Approach this with caution.There are specific herbal extracts that have been used in oriental medicine which are known to possess immunomodulating effects. These effects are beneficial in certain IBS symptom sets, especially in d-type and cyclics, as there is an aberrant immune rsponse occurring in the small bowel which leads to the symptoms and which can be attenuated...AFTER one has ruled out active infection with a pathogen. This is your GI docs job.ONE MUST restrict oneself to the use of a specific "Chinese herbal" formulation which has been objectively tested and is prepared as a standardized formulation under contolled conditions, as in the abstract posted.So many people with IBS are on other medications which can interract with certain herbs which may be part of the countless formulations associated with "chinese herbal medicine" (which is about as specific a word as saying "nutriceuticals")that even a preparation which was compounded properly so as to avoid the inclusion of potential toxins (the other big problem with compounding) can have pronounced side effects which you will not like, and which may be dangerous. This is an area, unless approached cautiously, can be akin to experimenting with alchemy.There are specific chinese herbs which are effective, and some very well known and widely published immunologists have evaluated them. But you have to access the specific standard preparatuions that have ben investigated as KM states, very diplomatically. I am less diplomatic as this must carry a warning sign.......Don't be an "Ah, So..." when it comes to Chinese herbs.Where is Fluxies' Robbie The Robot ["Warning Will robinson!"] when we need it?MNL

·
Registered
5 Posts
chinese herbs with accupuncture. that is what I am doing. For the first time in almost a year, I feel good. I had one bad spell this week, as opposed to having 6 bad spells per week. I suggest the combination. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
chinese herbs with accupuncture. that is what I am doing. For the first time in almost a year, I feel good. I had one bad spell this week, as opposed to having 6 bad spells per week. I suggest the combination. Good luck

·
Registered
450 Posts
I went down this path too for 7 months - it never stopped the pain but minimized the D. But I was afraid to take anything else while I used them as no one could tell me the itneraction. The anxiety around that was too much to bear so it ended up defeating the purpose. Jst for information sake here is the webiste that started me down the path. Caveat emptor. www.sensiblehealth.com

·
Registered
450 Posts
I went down this path too for 7 months - it never stopped the pain but minimized the D. But I was afraid to take anything else while I used them as no one could tell me the itneraction. The anxiety around that was too much to bear so it ended up defeating the purpose. Jst for information sake here is the webiste that started me down the path. Caveat emptor. www.sensiblehealth.com

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went to the doctor and it seemed to go well. She indicated that I suffered from a damp heat in my lower intestines. Which would explain alot of my symptons and problems. She prescribed a blend of chinese herbs and also acupuncture. I'm not ready for the acupuncture yet, but I may. I'm having trouble drinking the tea. It really tastes horrible. Any unfortunately, there is nothing I can add to it to help. I have contacted her and hopefully I can up the amount of water I use, that seems to calm the taste down. But, it will probably take me the whole day to drink the two doses a day. The cost is something I hate to have to consider, but we'll see how it goes. I'm doing this for two weeks and then I contact her and if all is going well, I get two more weeks and then I have to go see her again for a re-evaluation. Hopefully, I can find a way to get the tea down.Kimba

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I went to the doctor and it seemed to go well. She indicated that I suffered from a damp heat in my lower intestines. Which would explain alot of my symptons and problems. She prescribed a blend of chinese herbs and also acupuncture. I'm not ready for the acupuncture yet, but I may. I'm having trouble drinking the tea. It really tastes horrible. Any unfortunately, there is nothing I can add to it to help. I have contacted her and hopefully I can up the amount of water I use, that seems to calm the taste down. But, it will probably take me the whole day to drink the two doses a day. The cost is something I hate to have to consider, but we'll see how it goes. I'm doing this for two weeks and then I contact her and if all is going well, I get two more weeks and then I have to go see her again for a re-evaluation. Hopefully, I can find a way to get the tea down.Kimba

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.