Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone on these boards who is taking Questran (Prevalite) for high cholesterol and ibs.d.?Am just about to start on the Questran tonight instead of the Atorvastatin and am hoping it will lower the cholesterol and lessen my loose bowel movements.Any comments would be much appreciated.thank youJudith

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just started the Questran last week. I went off the atorvastatin last year, and my cholesterol was through the roof. The first 2 days, I had some constipation, but that is working out better now. I don't feel as bloated as I did. I'm supposed to give it a couple of months on 4 grams daily. Don't know if it can really significantly lower my cholesterol from 332, but I'm really more interested in the benefits for the ibs.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
slm--If you ever want to talk about your cholesterol problem, drop me a line. I have been using a grape based supplement for cholesterol control that has also stopped my d and GERD. It has recently been given US patent protection because of its ability to stop the oxidation of cholesterol onto the artery walls. With a cholesterol count as high as you have, that should be of interest. (Since it works in the bloodstream, it would have no effect on the Questran.) I also use a second plant phytosterol based supplement that has dropped my cholesterol from elevated to low over a couple of month period and kept it there for almost 2 years in spite of my meat and dairy infused diet. Markmsprague2002###yahoo.ca

·
Registered
359 Posts
overitnow--Thank you for your kind offer. I would be interested in hearing about your cholesterol success. Does your product need frequent LFTs(liver function tests?) Even niacin, which I've had success with in the past requires monitoring of the liver while using it. It works in the liver to lower the output of cholesterol like the prescription cholesterol meds. I quit the atorvastatin due to muscle and joint aches and problems with memory and concentration. After quitting, I didn't seem to have those problems any longer.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
No, the plant sterols work in the gut to block the cholesterol absorption process so that it just passes through. The flavonoids work in the blood stream to control platelet speed, strengthen the vascular walls, increase circulation, and--most important to arteriosclorosis--stop the oxidation. The father of a friend had his bypass surgery cancelled after using the flavonoids: his caratoid blockage went down from 90% to 30% over a 6 month period. That got me interested in trying it. The improvement to my bowels--which was completely unexpected--leads me to believe that this may be a cardiovascular problem for some of us. (There are a class of IBS/Fibro/CFS sufferers who all have impaired perfusion in various parts of the brain. Assuming that is from plaque deposits, I read that as arteriosclorosis.) The grape seed and ginko in the blend both operate on blood circulation and are able to pass through the blood-brain barrier. It also worked wonderfully in clearing up a case of brain fog. Again, I think that is from the ginko.If you e-mail me I will send you the US Patent reference. It makes interesting reading.Cheers.Mark

·
Registered
359 Posts
Judith--I just got back from a 9 hour car trip and felt terrific the whole time. I took a 10 mg nortriptyline last night in the evening and 4grams of Questran at bedtime. This morning I ate some chicken meat in a tortilla and had some ice tea. Then my husband dropped a bombshell on me, and said he wanted to take the car trip. At first I was worried, but I figure I might as well see how the Questran worked. I made two trips to the bathroom but none of them were for diarrhea. I didn't want to worry myself into a case of diarrhea so I took 1/2 tab of 0.25mg xanax at 11:00. We left at 11:30 and I didn't get that nervous feeling and tightening in my gut. I felt relaxed. We drove all day only stopping for bathroom breaks (no BMs)and a couple of other short stops. I didn't dare try any of the cheese samples at the cheese factory we stopped at, but I did eat some crackers and some salt water taffy. Anyway I have felt terrific all day and attribute it to the Questran. I didn't even have to take imodium or levsin prophylactically like I usually do. Today feels like a real success
I only hope it can always be this good!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slmWell done surviving a 9 hour car trip - I definitely could not. (at present anyway).My GP has started me on 1 sachet (4g) Questran and has told me to work up to 4 per day over the next 4 weeks - I am a bit concerned that that amount will block me up (mind you, over the past 30 years nothing else ever has!!)Today is my second morning (taking it at night) and so far I do seem improved despite having a chinese (!!) with family last nightAND cream cakes!!When are you next being checked for your cholesterol levels? I've got about 8 weeks so am hoping the Questran will control that for me. Of course the other thing is that I have come off Atorvastatin at the same time as going on to Questran (my choice) so it may be the fact that I have stopped the Atorvastatin.Do you have a gallbladder? Mine is long since gone - 1983.It would be good to keep in touch if you would like to to see how we are getting on.I appreciate you getting back to me.Many thanksJudith

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slmPS Have just looked at your profile and see that we are virtually the same age and have both worked in the Health Service - I am 53 next month and am an ill-health retired medical secretary (psychiatry).ByeJudith

·
Registered
359 Posts
Judith,I don't believe that the health field caused the IBS, although some of the symptoms may have been exacerbated by some of the employers (
. Perhaps it's just that having this problem has made us want to be in a profession that helps others. I do still have my gall bladder, but know people who have had the dumping problem since having theirs removed. I read about Questran on this board and since it was time for my yearly Dr. appt, I asked about it when my Dr. was at a loss for what to do about my high cholesterol reading. (I've had the same Dr. for 27 years and I believe that once you get one trained it is best to stay with her
.) I'm supposed to give it a couple of months before checking the cholesterol level. Nothing is scheduled yet. I know that the cholesterol is the thing that could kill me, but frankly, I'm more concerned with getting my life back from the ibs.I hope you and all of us can have the success I felt yesterday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
before I met this site, I was miserable, almost all symptoms I had....big time D, 5 plus times a day, digestive pain, you name it. I tried at least 5 meds before I discussed Questran with my GI doc. Why did I have to ask my doc about this I dunno, I read about Questran here many times. I literally had to ask the doc for Questran, as he only wanted to try another basic ibs med..........he gave in. Questran has changed my life. I can once again eat what I want without major problems. Questran is not a cure all, but it may be a clue into the right direction.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Blueghost--How long have you been on Questran? How long did you have IBS? I'm glad you're doing so well. I hope that I can feel that my life has been changed as well. I still avoid eating before leaving the house. Tomorrow I have to travel 90 minutes to another town and then back. The scary part is that they have closed the rest area between here and there. I just hope I don't need it. I hope I can travel as well as I did Saturday.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm not sure that Questran is as life changing as I had hoped. I made my 90 minute car trip today, and I got myself worked up and made about 5 bathroom trips before leaving. No d just urgency. About 15 minutes from the destination we had to pull off and find a rest room. I really only had to urinate, but the pressure in my bladder stimulated my gut. Again, no d just urgency and formed stools. I was so discouraged that I shed a few tears.
I ended up taking 2 imodium and 5 levsin in all--just to stop my gut from letting me down. My husband was really sweet and felt like I should see it as a victory because there was no d and I was able to make it to a rest room with no accident. I was just hoping that my life would change dramatically and I would be able to live as normally as I fantasize about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.