Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

cholesterol medication

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  annie7 
#1 ·
Hi everyoneI am new on this site and have found it very helpful. It also also helped to know that I am not alone. Other people dont seem to understand. I reade a thread where someone stopped their cholesterol medication and there symptoms seemed to go away. Anyone know anything about this? My symptoms lately have changed . I now wake up in the morning with pain across the middle of my tummy. I don't understand why this would happen since I haven't eaten in hours. anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
The colon is more active around waking up time. This is not dependent on what you eat or when. When the colon is more active, that can set off pain for IBSers.A lot of medications for any health problem have GI side effects. It isn't easy to tell side effects from medications vs symptoms from something going on in your body.

#5 ·
I have had abdominal pain like you describe only recently when I ate a handful of almonds at breakfast of the day before. They are supposed to be good for heart health. I also take Digestive Advantage for irritable bowel syndrome and eat the Mediterranean diet. I had the pain 24 hours later.

#6 ·
The main side effectof statins (cholesterol medications) is pain the major muscle groups. It doesn't happen that often but should never be ignored and a Dr always consulted.Virtually all medications have a comprehensive list of side effects. Phrmaceutical companies do this to legally cover themselves. In reality many of the side effects mentioned will never happen.As far as statins causing GI disturbance it is very, very rare.I've been involved in healthcare for over 10 years and never come across a patient with a GI reaction to statins.

#7 ·
thanks for your response. I was really worried after what I read and was even thinking about stopping the meds. Hopefully one day I will be able to. I watch what I eat but with me its more hereditary. I guess I am always hoping to find the one thing that causes me such grieve and pain but I must say that joining yhis Grop has been very helpful. I don't feel so alone anymore or that I'm just losing my mind. Thanks again!

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had been taking a cholesterol lowering drug (simvastatin) for 3 years without any problems whatsoever.But during that period I had suffered some stressful events.Without warning this pill suddenly became toxic and it took me 3 months to wake up to it. It had severely restricted my body's ability to digest food and I lost 20 kilos (33 pounds) in that period. I had dizziness, bloating, nausea etc and my diet was restricted to the basics.I had the sense to stop the medication, but it took 4 weeks for the medication to completely wash out of my system, and normality to return.JackmatPS. There are many natural alternatives for lowereing cholesterol.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jack I am sorry that happened to you but I would venture that it is a rather severe & rare reaction to Zocor.And yes.. there are natural alternatives to lowering one's cholesterol and one would hope those things were attempted and found to be ineffective before one resorts to medicines. Info:http://www.drugs.com/sfx/simvastatin-side-effects.htmlIf anyone is experiencing the side effects listed... please discuss this with your Dr.

#10 ·
Don't be sorry BQ, its probably one of the best things that could have happened to me. I look at it as a challenge that was overcome and am grateful for the enlightenment that followed. Yes I suppose its rare, but it did happen, and people must be wary that it is a possiblity. Cheers

#11 ·
Do be careful with some of the natural methods of cholesterol control. Some of them can have some of the same side effects as prescription cholesterol medications.If you take red yeast rice you should take Co-enzyme Q with it just like you do with stain medications as it is a natural form of a statin just made by a fungi rather than a lab.Also if you are taking that or high dose niacin you should also get regular liver function tests as either one can cause liver problems.Diet alone can work well for some people, but often people need to be very strict with the diet to maintain the effect and that can be difficult for some on the long term.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
And also I think one should be going to see their Dr and have their blood levels (our Dr does the liver checks as well as other bloodwork) checked at least every 6 months if one is on any cholesterol meds.

#13 ·
I have been taking a flavonoid blend along with another that combines plant phytosterols with omega 3's from fish oil. These have not only drastically reduced my chances of a heart attack, the flavonoid's side effects include a much better circulation, an end to my male smoker's impotence, an end to my D, an end to my wife's and my GERD, and end to her vertigo attacks (circulation based). I don't know if it will have an effect on my mental alertness or not; but at (almost) 65, I see no signs of dementia as yet. Mark

#14 ·
I dieci ded to do some research regarding crestor to see if anyone else was having probems. I want on"ask a patient.com and entered crestor and I was blown away by the side effects people have experienced which also included digestive problems nausea stomach pain and on and on. really worth a read for anyone concerned that the crestor could be adding to IBS problem. I just don't know what elso to take. I am going to try to go off it to see what will happen and maybe speak to my naturopath about what I could take for high cholesterol. Anyone have any advicel

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well ANY medication will have some side effects. The ones for statins are about as average as any other med... I still think severe GI symptoms from chloesterol meds are rare.You could ask your Dr to try Questran....

#16 ·
Although statins lower cholesterol, they also have an antiinflammatory effect and keep plaque stable. I have adopted the view that the anti-inlfammatory effect is more important.I have breakfast cereal with freshly ground flaxseed, psyllium husks and cinammon. I abandoned egg yolks for quite some time but resumed eating them when I realised they were packed with nutirtion.There was a time when I could barely eat anything, Harley. My food options were getting less and less as the weeks passed, and most of it came from self fulfilling prophesies. Each time I feared I would lose a food item, sure enough it happened.Eventually I turned the whole thing around when I began re-introducing lost foods (one at a time) and laughing each time I felt a stomach "reaction". The laughter knocked the reaction on the head.Recovery was swift once I had the right tools.Jackmat

#17 ·
if i were you i would get off cholestoral medication as soon as possible but also carefully incase your body has some how become addicted to ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awA2fsa94MI...player_embeddedhere is how cholestoral works so you no longer get scamed by drug copaniesyou know how they say LDL = BAD and HDL = GOOD well it does not work like that. you see you need LDL you would die with out it and your HDL recycles your LDL so if LDL was bad why would your body recycle it?now heres how it works there are different types of LDL and one type is a large healthy fluffy type which has no health risk and this is the type of LDL you want in your body but you see heres the problem when you get the useless total cholestoral test done it will combo all your bad types of LDL with your good large healthy fluffy type of LDL and if your LDL is too high the doctor will say your have bad cholestoral and change your diet and put you on medsthe common total cholestoral test is horrible. it tricks people all the time your cholestoral could be geting great while this test could say its got much worse you see why this common total cholestoal test is horrible?here is an example of how its commonly abused on people lets say someone starts the atkins diet and instead of waiting the 6 months before geting a cholestoral test like they are supposed too they only wait 2-3 months well this is what happens they get a total cholestoral test done the test shows there LDL has spiked - gone through the roof then the doctor says there diet is bad and puts them on cholestoral lowering medsthe problem though is that SPIKE in LDL was all from the GOOD large healthy fluffly LDL that has no health risk so at that time they had large amounts of both good and bad LDL but because your HDL recycles all LDL it takes atleast 6 months for the body to naturally filter out the bad small dense LDL so mostly only good large healthy fluffly LDL is leftif the people had got a proper full panel cholestoral test done it would have clearly showed the spike in LDL was the good LDL and that there cholestoral is geting WAY better. but sadly people fall for this horrible total cholestoral test scamand heres another thing the cholestoral meds make your cholestoral worse they remove good and bad LDL so your body cannot even get healthy and the drugs have nasty side effectsif you ate healthy you would naturally remove the bad LDL no drugs neededalso saturated fat creates the large healthy fluffly LDL yes thats right saturated fat is good for you. the whole saturated fat being bad for you has been a 100% LIE.i hope this info helps some of you and it will explain why after eating all them eggs, butter and fatty meats and cod liver oil why your LDL spikes but if you got the good full pannel cholestoral test that shows all types of LDL you would see the spike is the good large healthy fluffy LDL that has no health risk God bless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.