Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across another IBS sufferer who has come up with a hypothesis on why certain foods can cause IBS symptoms, and by removing them from your diet can potentially reduce symptoms.I wanted to see what other's here think of her hypothesis: http://sites.google.com/site/annerwright/c...rase-inhibitorsWhat I found fascinating is that she has identified pretty much the exact same foods I've learned to avoid using more conventional methods: http://sites.google.com/site/annerwright/a...rase-inhibitorsIf her hypothesis is correct it would explain why these foods can cause symptoms, as well as lead to discovering a possible cause for IBS.Anyhow, wanted to see what other's think.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wow THAT would be an extremely restrictive diet. It would be nice if she had some (any) study details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's currently a student, not credentialed. Just a life long IBS sufferer trying to figure out whats going on.I've done some research of my own and also ran the theory by someone I know who's a bio physicist. Him and I both couldn't find research studies to prove her abstract, but couldn't find anything to disprove it either. It's something that would have to be studied and tested to confirm.Cholinesterase is a family of enzymes that catalyze the hydrolysis of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine into choline and acetic acid. Many of the drugs used to treat IBS such as anti-spasmodics and antidepressants are anticholinergics that inhibit the action of acetylcholine (Marijuana is also an anticholinergic which is why some IBS patients get relief from it among other reasons).Too much acetylcholine and your muscles to tighten and spasm, causing diarrhea, etc. In the brain too much can cause anxiety, paranoia and potentially mania.Too little can produce dry mouth, blurred vision and constipation. Too little in the brain can produce confusion, drowsiness, poor memory (especially visual), slowness at learning, and is thought to be behind ADHD, bipolar disorder, and alzheimer's.We know that if cholinesterase is inhibited via neurotoxins it can cause excessive salivation (which can kick start the digestive system) and eye-watering in low doses, followed by muscle spasms, and ultimately death. Without enough cholinesterase there will be too much acetylcholine. Many neurotoxins including some snake venoms, sarin gas, and VX inhibit cholinesterase.Her theory is that some people are genetically so sensitive to cholinesterase inhibitors that when they eat something that has pesticides or that naturally has cholinesterase inhibitors in it, even in trace levels, it inhibits cholinesterase enough to increase acetylcholine causing spasms (diarrhea). The body then responds by breaking down as much acetylcholine as it can causing constipation. Creating the never ending cycle that is IBS.If her abstract is true, it means pesticides, preservatives, and other processed foods could likely be a causing IBS in those who are sensitive to them. These neurotransmitters are also found in the brain and help regulate memory, mood, etc. in conjunction with other neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine. It is theorized 80-90% of serotonin is actually in the digestive system which is why antidepressants are used as a treatment for IBS as well. So this is why emotional state has an effect on the functioning of your digestive system as it can cause levels of these neurotransmitters to fluctuate.In other words, IBS is freakin complicated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Sounds just like a variation on the well known Fight or Flight response..... but ok. I wish her well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had IBS for a few years, started out with all D, but well controlled now. However, also have excess salivation, major sinus trouble, GERD, a constant cough from the combo of salivation and sinus drainage. Recently told my mom I think it is all related, like a hypersensitivity not only in the GI tract, but to some irritant in general. Have tried several elimination diets, allergy meds, and am usually able to control one thing but not the others. Kinda like my body is going to be spasming somewhere all the time. I think the student you referred to may be on to something, because I believe IBS won't be cured until someone takes a "whole person" approach to finding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.