Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I had a laproscopy and my surgeon found extensive adhesions. One was so large it was actually pulling up a section of my bowels towards my abdominal wall. Successful lysis of adhesions was achieved and my red inflamed appendix was removed which showed 3 appendicholith with fecal material and reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. I am happy to say that since my surgery all the pain in my right side has completely disappeared. I had a few days of D once the general anesthsia wore off and my bowels woke up. I was off the Lotronex for 7 days as my GI was all uptight about me taking it with post op pain management. So I started the Lotronex again and have had to take a couple of Lomotil once I told my GI dr I was not gonna just sit around and let the D start all over again and I am no longer on pain meds. I do take one tylnelol with codiene at bedtime with my gi dr's blessing! I know that the surgery will not cure my IDS but having all that pain relieved helps me cope with the D alittle better. Hopes are now that my bowels get used to not being all adhered to one another and can function more normally and the toxins from appendix will soon be out of my system....perhaps the Lotronex will work better. You do not have to have a high fever or rebound pain or acute bloodwork to have a chronic situation with your appendix. After 8 months of daily struggle and weight loss of 54 pounds I am trying to be hopeful that this will help me regain some control over my IBS. The first 4 days after surgery I did not poop or cramp at all and it was the best 4 days I have had in 8 months! When the D came back I paniced and felt my self get very depressed for a few days until it got controled again. My dr's assure me that patience and time to heal now...over the next 10 tens they anticipate I will see improvement in pain and overall bowel function......heres hoping!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Vickie, sorry to hear you had to go through the laproscopy but it sounds like it will help you to improve! I hope your recovery continues and thanks for the update

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Adhesions can cause a lot of pain and if the appendix was chronically inflamed from the stones that could lead to the adhesions.Hopefully nothing new will stick together. If you have IBS on top of this it probably won't cure the IBS so you'll likely have to continue working to control that, but sounds like you have a good plan in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts