Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering from pretty much constant constipation since I was pregnant with my son, who is now 10 months old. I manage to get out small amounts of hard stool occasionally, but for the most part, I can honeslty say that I haven't felt "relief" or 'empty" in over year. Basically I don't have a bowel movement for days, or weeks, and then when I do have a small bowel movement, I feel pain or soreness as gas and stools move through my stomach. Is this normal? I mean, obvioiusly constipation causes cramping, but is it normal to be constipated and then feel actual pain whent the stool actually does begin to move? If this is common for ibs, how can it be treated? I am very anxious and am an extreme hypochondriac, so stomach pain tends to freak me out. Any advice will be appreciated. P.S. I also have slight indigestion type symptoms when the pain is happening. It's almost as if my intestines get sore and I panic. What can I do to fix all of this? Please help me. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you know for sure that you have IBS? I know that constipation is fairly common during pregnancy. The worst gas pains and constipation I ever had were when I was pregnant. I was literally paralyzed with pain. I took some Ibuprofen right away and went out and got some Milk of Magnesia, which got things moving again. Are you taking anything for the pain and constipation? I'd recommend talking to your doctor. It might be a good idea to do the sort of preparation that people do before a colonoscopy, just to clean everything out. But I'd definitely ask a doctor. There might be some reason not to do that, since you were so recently pregnant and maybe you're breastfeeding (?). It might be that your system will go back to normal, once your hormones go back to normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts