Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm 18, F, and although I've never seen a doctor about it I am 95% sure I have IBS, severe abdominal pain especially when I eat fibre or have large meals at night etc.

I'm trying to manage this myself by cutting things out and it seems to be working and I'm learning what foods are okay for me to eat. I am not considering seeing a doctor as I heard there's really not much they can do and I hate the idea of having all these horrible tests done just to be told to change my diet (I'm already doing that!)

HOWEVER my dad has Chron's disease (nobody else in the family does) and recently had surgery for a perforated bowel which nearly killed him, caused by the Chrons. How important is it that I go to the doctor - can they test me for Chrons? How likely is it to be passed on genetically? Is there a way for me to tell if I could have Chrons instead of just IBS, symtoms-wise? I've tried googling but I'm getting quite mixed results - if anyone could help me that would be great :)

Thanks

· Registered
153 Posts
I'm very sorry for your dad. Chron's disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease and is very nasty. These are some symptoms of Chron's disease -

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/symptoms/con-20032061

Some people with Chron's disease have a low grade fever perhaps due to inflammation. Check to see if you are running a low grade fever. Severe abdominal pain which is chronic should always be checked out by a doctor. Research suggests a genetic component to Chron's disease. The doctors have to check your colon for scarring or inflammation to rule out an IBD. The tests of course are far from pleasant - abdominal CT scan and colonoscopy. Only a doctor who specializes in gastroenterology can confirm whether or not you have Chron's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.