Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who participated in the clinical trials for Cilansetron experienced the same problems many of us encountered with Lotronex?In my case, Lotronex was only minimally effective, and the 'positive' effects lasted just four or five months. Although I didn't develop IC, I began to experience severe back, leg and abdominal pain - all of which subsided within weeks of discontinuing Lotronx. I have posted this question elsewhere on this b/b - and the answer I usually get is that 'while both drugs are in the same 'class' - they may not necessarily work in the same way. THAT'S what I'm trying to ascertain; Has anyone who had problems with Lotronex NOT had similar problems with Cilansetron??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nancy- I was just the opposite. Lotronex was a miracle drug for me, and still is. The cilansetron I was on did nothing to release Diaahrea, but no side effects. Lotronex has no side effects for me. My GI doctor at Mayo says that we are all differnet. Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with Lotronex. I know so many people who did 'great' on Lotronex for years - and suddenly began experiencing problems like I did (and in some cases, much worse). I think they're on the right track with Lotronex, but they need to do a lot more work to get it right. Can I ask you.....If Lotronex has been a "miracle drug" for you, why were you taking Cilansetron?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nancy- basically there was a level 3 cilansetron study in columbus, where I live, and I thought, "why not? " to compare. Plus, after the study we were guaranteed a year's free supply of the meds. My GI doctor at Mayo told me that lotronex, cilansetron, or any other IBS med. will help reduce the production of seratonin but "selectively" based on, I think, the length of the mast cells? or something like that. Mayo also did blood work, and were able to identify the gene responsible for IBS, so they have done alot of study. Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to try Cilansetron. I have basically had what amounts to IBS since I was born. I sort of "grew" out of it and then it returned in my 30s. My doctor gave me some samples of Lotronex to try when it first came out and it worked PERFECTLY for me even though it was said no effect was seen in men. I have IBS-D and it was a godsend. I am hoping Cilansetron will do the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.