Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally have to very careful about the consumption of fresh fruit. I normally limit myself to one piece of fruit on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, or else in mid-morning away from other food. Otherwise pain and bloating. However I'm just back from a holiday in New England - much warmer climate for me. I had a huge desire to eat fresh fruit in the hot climate and my system was able to tolerate much much more fruit - bananas, watermelon, berries, nectrines, apples, and oh those wonderful mangoes. I had a ball. But the morning after I came back to Ireland I ate two pears on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and had an almost instant reaction leaving me bloated all day. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Funny. Pears were the very first thing I couldn't eat! Never worked out why.Of course, I can't eat lots of things now, but it started with pears, of all things.I find I can't eat too much fruit at one time. So I limit myself to small portions and sizes. And never drink a big hit of fruit juice.Even gatorade did me in once! Too much sugar.I have also found that I my stomach is strongerwhen I am on holiday! And I am less bowel-obsessed!!!Hope you can work it out. Or you might have to move here.O

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another "newbie" here.I've tried doing a search for this, but I'm not finding the answer that I'm looking for.Are bananas a "trigger food" for a lot of people? I used to be able to eat bananas with no problems. Then, about a year ago, I started having excruciating pain in my abdomen when I'd eat one. It took me a while to equate the eating of a banana with the pain, but then I realized that this was a food that I just cannot tolerate anymore. (Strangely enough, though, it's just pain and nothing else. No other "wonderful" symptoms develop with it.)Lettuce is one of my other ones. I'll eat it at home, when I'm assured of being stress-free (and near a bathroom!), but I tell restaurants that "I'm very, very allergic to lettuce - even using it as a garnish will harm me." That seems to help. With lettuce, I get pain AND d.As a quick sidenote, may I say that I am so, so happy to find you people?! Finally, there are others who understand what I'm going through. This isn't just me anymore - all of you are here, and I can't tell you how excited I am to meet you all! I'm looking forward to getting to know this group better. And, also looking forward to finding out what all of you have discovered helps you! THANK YOU for being here for me!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I eat a banana my stomach will swell up and I'll feel like I have lead in my stomach. I can't touch any lettuce, raw apples, oranges ,grapefruits. I can eat peaches and nectarines with no problem.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Since there are some newbies on this thread, I find I am better off eating small portions of everything, like half a steak, half a portion of pasta (if out) and never having tomato concentrates, which means cheese pizzas not any others with tomato... I eat early, if I can, and do not lie down for at leat 2/3 hours after eating.Bananas used to weigh heavy on me - I gave them up but, later, when I had my stomach in balance I started feeding them back to my life, 1/4 then 1/2, now I can eat a whole one.I find, in general, I can't eat too much of anything with sugar in it (any kind of sugar)...or drinks, either.I cut out whole milk, half and half, and now have fat-free skim milk (used to drink lactaid milk but found I didn't need that eventually)...I don't eat anything with too much fat in it either. Like not the skin of the chicken.There's fat in ice creams, also sugars, so I cutout ice cream and can eat frozen bars, for somereason. I was left with heartburn after I got rid of mydiarrhea, my gas, my bloating and when I took coffee (decaf too) out of my life, my heartburnwent away almost overnight! I now drink weak tea as well, and never any drinks with caffeine.I don't drink fruit juices (to big a hit of sugar at one time) nor vegetable juices (too big a hit of fiber at one time) and therein lies the problem.One must experiment because we all seem to need different amounts of fiber. I eat prunes when constipated, just a few. But I do try not to get constipated in the first place by being regular, patient, and trying to eat a balanced diet, with just enough fruit and fiber for me, which may be different to what you need.I do not like to take drugs and only take digestive enzymes with my meals, sometimes oneafter and sometimes acidophilus later at night,especially if I am on antibiotics, which I try toavoid if I can. The acidophilus is kept fresh in the fridge (important)I don't believe in Immodium unless desperate because then you get constipated and a merry-goround starts. Constipated/diarrhea/constiped, etc.But I may have different problems to you. My last diagnosis (after 4 years) was Crohn's - not typical, mild. Have an appointment on August 1 which may result in some changes but I will be v.cautious before doing anything (I have anotherproblem, so may have to re-think)Meanwhile, as I said, be pro-active.I feel well, can live a pretty normal life, only get d. every so often (when I cheat) and have lotsof energy.It can happen...maybe I am lucky, but I also make my luck too_O

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since there are some newbies on this thread, I find I am better off eating small portions of everything, like half a steak, half a portion of pasta (if out) and never having tomato concentrates, which means cheese pizzas not any others with tomato... I eat early, if I can, and do not lie down for at leat 2/3 hours after eating.Bananas used to weigh heavy on me - I gave them up but, later, when I had my stomach in balance I started feeding them back to my life, 1/4 then 1/2, now I can eat a whole one.I find, in general, I can't eat too much of anything with sugar in it (any kind of sugar)...or drinks, either.I cut out whole milk, half and half, and now have fat-free skim milk (used to drink lactaid milk but found I didn't need that eventually)...I don't eat anything with too much fat in it either. Like not the skin of the chicken.There's fat in ice creams, also sugars, so I cutout ice cream and can eat frozen bars, for somereason. I was left with heartburn after I got rid of mydiarrhea, my gas, my bloating and when I took coffee (decaf too) out of my life, my heartburnwent away almost overnight! I now drink weak tea as well, and never any drinks with caffeine.I don't drink fruit juices (to big a hit of sugar at one time) nor vegetable juices (too big a hit of fiber at one time) and therein lies the problem.One must experiment because we all seem to need different amounts of fiber. I eat prunes when constipated, just a few. But I do try not to get constipated in the first place by being regular, patient, and trying to eat a balanced diet, with just enough fruit and fiber for me, which may be different to what you need.I do not like to take drugs and only take digestive enzymes with my meals, sometimes oneafter and sometimes acidophilus later at night,especially if I am on antibiotics, which I try toavoid if I can. The acidophilus is kept fresh in the fridge (important)I don't believe in Immodium unless desperate because then you get constipated and a merry-goround starts. Constipated/diarrhea/constiped, etc.But I may have different problems to you. My last diagnosis (after 4 years) was Crohn's - not typical, mild. Have an appointment on August 1 which may result in some changes but I will be v.cautious before doing anything (I have anotherproblem, so may have to re-think)Meanwhile, as I said, be pro-active.I feel well, can live a pretty normal life, only get d. every so often (when I cheat) and have lotsof energy.It can happen...maybe I am lucky, but I also make my luck too_O
Caffeine free peppermint taste great as I have given up all Caffeine. Real bad reflux and stomach issues. I will give up anything to not be somewhere and the anxiety to get to a bathroom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Before IBS I ate 2 pieces of fruit every morning with nuts, seeds, and bran flakes for my hearty breakfast!
In about mid 2020 I had to eat MUCH less fruit (IBS-D) but could still manage some. I even ate a pear with no consequences (high Fodmap too.) and could eat peeled apple.
But since August this year I decided to stop forcing myself to eat it.
I was anxious about not eating it because of the "healthy diet" thing going about nowadays, and maybe not getting enough vitamin C.
But I gave up eating it and somehow felt a little better during Autumn this year.
Then recently started a guilt trip about having a narrow range of foods in my diet, when I'd always been able to eat a wide range of healthy foods.
I decided to reintroduce very small amounts of fruit. I started with 10 blueberries. That seemed to go okay for 2 days, so I increased to 20 blueberries. I have breakfast usually about 2 hours after I wake up. I eat the fruit first, and then a little later eat my "safe" ciabatta toast and butter which never causes a problem.
I also tried on alternate days 12 peeled black grapes. I daren't eat the skins (that kind of fibre upsets me) but I squeeze them and drink the couple of teaspoonfuls of red juice from them.
I am not doing so badly, though had an uneasy gut a bit last night like some sensation of movement on the left lower abdomen, and pass a lot of gas on waking. But no diarrhea. Slightly looser than the ideal stool, but pretty normal. Between a 4 and 5 on the Bristol scale.
Usually if something is a no-no, then it will come in with symptoms if I keep it up for 4 or 5 days, but so far the small amount of fruit seems to be okay fingers crossed. That could change at any moment of course.
But against normal standards, I always feel calmer gut and better when I don't eat too much healthy food!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts