Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS symptoms started about one month after I stopped taking Cipro for a UTI (3) years ago. After taking Culturelle for a few weeks, my bowels are MUCH better. The problem now is in my stomach area. I have a constant nagging stabbing type ache/pain. Not sure if it is gas or something else. Milk seems to help, and so does drinking beer - but it always seems to come back. Mainly gets worse after eating a meal. I have been thinking about taking Cipro for 4-5 days to see if it is bacteria related. If so, should I take the Culturelle at the same time? I was going to suggest this to my doctor to see what they think. I need to do something about this ache.. It is really bothering me - and now that my IBS seems to be under control, this seems to have come out of nowhere recently. I just can't help but to think I have some type of bad bacteria that needs to get killed. What do you think? Thanks!- Mark

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:It may be the Cipro that caused your problem in the first place. You may have felt fine while on it, but it probably wiped out your beneficial flora and caused your problems with your bowel. The probiotic probably helped your body restore the beneficial flora.I would definitely not take the Cipro unless your doctor confirms some type of infection. Antibiotics can be very, very dangerous to your gut, and can actually cause an overgrowth of very harmful bacteria in your intestine.~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:It may be the Cipro that caused your problem in the first place. You may have felt fine while on it, but it probably wiped out your beneficial flora and caused your problems with your bowel. The probiotic probably helped your body restore the beneficial flora.I would definitely not take the Cipro unless your doctor confirms some type of infection. Antibiotics can be very, very dangerous to your gut, and can actually cause an overgrowth of very harmful bacteria in your intestine.~JR~

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I agree, that my bowels have been doing MUCH MUCH better since using Culturelle - and is just about completely normal. My only problem is my stomach now (which just started about 2-3 months ago). I get this burning, ache, pressure feeling right below my breast-bone. It is almost all the time now, and especially acts up after I eat. Could this be an infection like H. Pylori? This is something new to me - and if I could get rid of it, I think I would be for the most part totally normal once again!!Thanks!- Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. I agree, that my bowels have been doing MUCH MUCH better since using Culturelle - and is just about completely normal. My only problem is my stomach now (which just started about 2-3 months ago). I get this burning, ache, pressure feeling right below my breast-bone. It is almost all the time now, and especially acts up after I eat. Could this be an infection like H. Pylori? This is something new to me - and if I could get rid of it, I think I would be for the most part totally normal once again!!Thanks!- Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never tried any antacids. Tums doesn't seem to help at all, though. Milk so far is the only thing that I noticed can give me relief. I never had stomach problems before, and this just started around 2-3 months ago off and on. It seems to be more ON than OFF these days.I have been trying to eat slower and things like that, to see what happens. That seems to help a bit too. I just can't help but think that there is something attacking my mucus walls in my bowels and stomach now. I want to kill it with something, and that is why I was talking about the antibiotics. - Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never tried any antacids. Tums doesn't seem to help at all, though. Milk so far is the only thing that I noticed can give me relief. I never had stomach problems before, and this just started around 2-3 months ago off and on. It seems to be more ON than OFF these days.I have been trying to eat slower and things like that, to see what happens. That seems to help a bit too. I just can't help but think that there is something attacking my mucus walls in my bowels and stomach now. I want to kill it with something, and that is why I was talking about the antibiotics. - Mark

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Okay, I've been through something like this. I had stomach problems to begin with and then I had way too many antibiotics for other issues. I had pains, perhaps stabbing, with the antibiotics and afterwards too. I kept waiting for the pains to subside, and they did to some extent, but then they were replaced with gnawing and burning pain that wouldn't go away. (Of course, the nurse just blew me off.) So, I started taking Zantac again, and I finally called my gastro. doc, who agreed I should be taking acid reducers, to let the area heal. The Zantac has helped me greatly. Finally, I am having another upper endoscopy next week.You need to see your gastro. You could have gastritis, or if the pain is bad enough, possibly an ulcer; H.P. symptoms are quite the same, so it's hard to tell you for sure. Time to go get checked out again! No, I wouldn't encourage you to take yet more Cipro at this time, as it could possibly be the culprit in the first place.Yes, good move to take the probiotics, I'd say. I recommend taking them during and after antibiotic use. (Actually, I always take 1/day regardless.) However, please note that if you are taking antibiotics, don't take them and probiotics at the same time (space them out during the day), as they could possibly counteract each other.P.S. Avoid the milk. It may temporarily feel good, but remember if you have an ulcer or such, dairy problems can further aggravate the problem in the long run.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Okay, I've been through something like this. I had stomach problems to begin with and then I had way too many antibiotics for other issues. I had pains, perhaps stabbing, with the antibiotics and afterwards too. I kept waiting for the pains to subside, and they did to some extent, but then they were replaced with gnawing and burning pain that wouldn't go away. (Of course, the nurse just blew me off.) So, I started taking Zantac again, and I finally called my gastro. doc, who agreed I should be taking acid reducers, to let the area heal. The Zantac has helped me greatly. Finally, I am having another upper endoscopy next week.You need to see your gastro. You could have gastritis, or if the pain is bad enough, possibly an ulcer; H.P. symptoms are quite the same, so it's hard to tell you for sure. Time to go get checked out again! No, I wouldn't encourage you to take yet more Cipro at this time, as it could possibly be the culprit in the first place.Yes, good move to take the probiotics, I'd say. I recommend taking them during and after antibiotic use. (Actually, I always take 1/day regardless.) However, please note that if you are taking antibiotics, don't take them and probiotics at the same time (space them out during the day), as they could possibly counteract each other.P.S. Avoid the milk. It may temporarily feel good, but remember if you have an ulcer or such, dairy problems can further aggravate the problem in the long run.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never heard of aloe vera juice or watered-down gel before. To tell you the truth, you know what makes the burn/pressure feeling or whatever (can't really describe it) go away?No eating or drinking anything for awhile. Like if I skip breakfast, and don't eat until later in the afternoon. I eat lunch today slowly and drank water instead of Mountain Dew, and feel much better than I did yesterday. Still burns a bit, but it seems to be getting alittle better. Drinking beer also helps (imagine that). At least that has been my experience so far. I seem to finally have my bowels under control, and now have this *#*&$# burning under my breastbone. Will keep you updates as things progress. I have a doctor appointment with my GI doctor on Tuesday - he wants to give me a proton pump inhibitor. What do you think about that?- Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never heard of aloe vera juice or watered-down gel before. To tell you the truth, you know what makes the burn/pressure feeling or whatever (can't really describe it) go away?No eating or drinking anything for awhile. Like if I skip breakfast, and don't eat until later in the afternoon. I eat lunch today slowly and drank water instead of Mountain Dew, and feel much better than I did yesterday. Still burns a bit, but it seems to be getting alittle better. Drinking beer also helps (imagine that). At least that has been my experience so far. I seem to finally have my bowels under control, and now have this *#*&$# burning under my breastbone. Will keep you updates as things progress. I have a doctor appointment with my GI doctor on Tuesday - he wants to give me a proton pump inhibitor. What do you think about that?- Mark

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, beer's a new one on me! (Oooh, please stop drinking it.) Yes, aloe vera gel/juice is known for its soothing/healing qualities. Docs like to give their patients PPIs, as you've mentioned, because they're the latest and greatest. For a few of us, though, the PPIs have too many side-effects. Last month, for example, I was taken off Nexium, because it bothered my nervous system. Worth a try, though, esp. if your doc can give you some samples to try.Good luck!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well, beer's a new one on me! (Oooh, please stop drinking it.) Yes, aloe vera gel/juice is known for its soothing/healing qualities. Docs like to give their patients PPIs, as you've mentioned, because they're the latest and greatest. For a few of us, though, the PPIs have too many side-effects. Last month, for example, I was taken off Nexium, because it bothered my nervous system. Worth a try, though, esp. if your doc can give you some samples to try.Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Doctors are really too generous with the proton pump inhibitors. I would rather try an H2 blocker first. There are less side effects involved. I was given Prilosec and am miserable at the moment due to side effects so I am switching back to Pepcid.Did your doctor order any tests to determine the cause of the pain?~JR~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.