Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dr again this morning. She wants to leave me on Bentyl and now try Celexa. Has anyone tried Celexa? If so what side effects did you have? Are you having success with it? I am confused on the difference of anti-depressant and anxiety meds?I am new to forums so please if I am not doing something right - such as do I start a new topic or do I continue the meds on a topic I have started before?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Sick I would not take that and ask for an SNRI or a tricyclic anti-depressant for a few reasons.Reason 1:There was just a posting recently about a study that showed Celexa to be ineffective as a treatment for IBS.Here check this out and let your Dr know (Perhaps print out the article for him or her)http://ibs.about.com/b/2010/01/18/celexa-n...ful-for-ibs.htmAnd here's the journal article that was the source of the above from Clinical Gastroenterology & Hepatology"Citalopram Provides Little or No Benefit in Nondepressed Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome":http://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-35...0891-X/abstractReason 2And with Diarrhea I think the SNRI's or a Tricyclic Anti-depressant are better anyway for IBS D'ers as they tend to have constipation as a side effect. SSRI's tend to have diarrhea as a side effect and... Celexa is an SSRI.Just my 2 cents I wish you all the best

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BQ I did read the info you sent. My question would be wouldn't this help with the anxiety which causes my IBS to flare up? I know it won't help with what happens during the IBS episode. My IBS is effected by certain foods (which I have learn to cut out) but also by anxiety. I appreciate your two-cents. It is very helpful. thank you

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been on Celexa for 2 years, for anxiety and panic attacks. Anxiety gives me IBS flare up. And I feel better with Celexa.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It is an anti -depressant not an anti anxiety med as far as I know. (See my sig... I am no expert) I do not know if it treats anxiety... You really should be talking to your Dr about this.I wouldn't want to take it because of the D side effect .... especially when there are many other SNRI's and tricyclics to choose from. But that's me I would just tell the Dr no on that one especially since there are other SNRI's and Tri's that MAY indeed help with IBS as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I discussed exactly this issue with my GP fairly recently. I said I wasn't depressed but she wanted to treat the anxiety with an SSRi as I didn't tolerate a TCA. Just because diarrhoea is a possible side effect doesn't mean you will get it-just some people do. Why not try it and see. If it doesn't suit then move on and try something else. It the UK SSRis are definitely second line for prescribing in IBS (first line are TCAs)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BQ I did talk to the dr and then I called back and talked to the nurse. Yes, it is an anti-depressant but she said this had the lowest side effects and put me on a low dose. I am going to try it. I really appreciate the info you are offering. That is why I like this forum I feel that everyone can give their opinion and what they have been through. thank you
Petra that is what I discussed with the nurse. Told her I was not depressed or suicidal - she said yes it is anti-depressant but used a lot for anxiety.Yukie - wow that is great. That gives me peace of mind that maybe I am going in the right direction. I am at the point where I am willing to try any avenue. I have been finding out that anxiety really flares me up also.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
SickGlad you were able to contact the Dr's office. Great that it has a low amount of side effects. Hope you don't experience any. Also just so you know there are other ways to get a grip on anxiety too.. like using Relaxation Techniques, CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) meditation, yoga .. etc.. you might want to look into those as well to help you manage the anxiety.All the best

1 - 8 of 8 Posts