Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I take it for D? It says it's good for constipation, but I have d. I thought I read somewhere that is will bulk up the stool? But the last thing I would think I'd want is a laxitave??? Please help. Need to find some kind of cure before school starts again!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey:Citrucel is a soluble fiber supplement composed mainly of methylcellulose. Soluble fiber can absorb huge quantities of water. Since people with diarrhea have too much water in their stool soluble fiber can be beneficial. When the fiber absorbs water it takes on a gel-like consistency that can be easily evacuated. That's why it's also good for people with constipation. I take metamucil which is also a soluble fiber supplement. It differs from citrucel in that the main ingredient is psyllium husk but it has the same effect. I was also a bit sceptical when I first started taking it since these products are marketed as laxatives. But it worked for me; plain and simple. I only drink one glass a day, which I'll have right before dinner. I also eat lots of oat bran which is another great source of soluble fiber. Check out: www.eatingforibs.comGood Luck: gastron

·
Registered
235 Posts
Finding out if fiber works for you is something that has to be done. Its hard to say because fiber works amazing for some IBS-D, while not good for others. I would give it atleast a week or more before you decide to continue or stop
Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought I'd report back. Have been taking Citrucel 2 a day for 3 days and it's worked perfect. I know I need to give it much longer until I know I can trust it, but I'm feeling hopeful! My stool is back to the way it used to be, only with mucus. But that I can live with!!!Thanks for the support everyone. I hope this continues to work for me. It'd be nice to be able to live in a dorm again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.