Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying out a new "cocktail" for my IBS-C of 1 glass of Citrucel daily, 3 -250mg tablets of Magnesium and 2 Amitiza each day. Hoping this combination will work for me. Interested in anyone else's experiences with Citrucel and/or magnesium for their IBS-C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know about Citrucel, but watch out for Metamucil. I finally figured out the fake sugar in that stuff, especially the aspartame in the pink lemonade flavor, was doing me much more harm than good. Boy did I contact that company and chew them out! Imagine a company that promotes colon health using aspartame in their products. I now use plain psyllium whole husks from the health food store. Much better for my digestion. I don't use it all the time. I also like Chia Seed(really good because it is incredibly nutritous as well), and the Aqua Full from the Full Bar weight-loss system. The Aqua Full has splenda in it, so be careful. Many people are like me and can tolerate Splenda. I have found the key for me is if something works well, don't overdo it. Use it several times a week, but not every day. I am only talking about myself, not trying to say everyone should do this. I also have good luck with occasional use of magnesium.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know about Citrucel, but watch out for Metamucil. I finally figured out the fake sugar in that stuff, especially the aspartame in the pink lemonade flavor, was doing me much more harm than good. Boy did I contact that company and chew them out! Imagine a company that promotes colon health using aspartame in their products. I now use plain psyllium whole husks from the health food store. Much better for my digestion. I don't use it all the time. I also like Chia Seed(really good because it is incredibly nutritous as well), and the Aqua Full from the Full Bar weight-loss system. The Aqua Full has splenda in it, so be careful. Many people are like me and can tolerate Splenda. I have found the key for me is if something works well, don't overdo it. Use it several times a week, but not every day. I am only talking about myself, not trying to say everyone should do this. I also have good luck with occasional use of magnesium.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to be dumb but does Splenda make constipation worse? I thought that since it is a "natural" sweetener or at least it is promoted as such that it is safer to use than, say, Nutrasweet or another type of product. Are there any "artificial" sweeteners that don't cause problems? Maybe it's best to stick to plain old sugar when it's necessary.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How much magnesium are you taking?
I used to take 800mg. but noticed that in 1 week of taking it my colon became irritated. So we should take it occasionally. Actually I think that keeping our stool very soft, I mean very soft is half the battle because the "pebbles" press on the colon walls and irritate them. Never mind you have BM evry day it's still important to soften the stool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.