Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My GI doc put me on Citrucel tablets to "bulk" up my stool. He stated to take 2 tabs daily. I took two tablets as the package instructed and drank plenty of water. The next day from the time I got up till I went to bed....I experienced HORRIBLE cramps. The worse cramping was in the middle of my CPR class...I had cramping so bad that I ended up in tears for at least 5 minutes. Of course I took my hyoscyamine. In fact I took 3 hyoscymaine during the course of the day. My question to you all since I have been calling my GI doc since TUESDAY (when this occured) and he still hasn't returned my call is....would taking one tablet or just a half tablet to continue with bulking up my stools still cause the intense cramping...or maybe I should try something else?!? Any info is greatly apprecitated.Lizzie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't use the tablets, i use the powder. I used to take a full scoop each night, but that was several years ago and I stopped taking it at all for a long time. Now I'm trying to be more aggressive about controlling my IBS and I've started taking it again, but I am taking 1/2 scoop with my first meal of the day and 1/2 scoop with my last meal of the day. I use the clear stuff and blend it in with fruit, juice, ice, etc. to make a slushy- it's very easy to take this way. It actually improves the slushies by making it smoother!My point I guess is that I think it's better to spread it out over the full day rather than taking it all at once. Why don't you try taking half a tablet in the morning, a full tablet at lunch, and another half at dinner or something along those lines. I plan to ramp up or down from half a scoop as needed, right now I'm just starting out with a smaller dose to get my system used to it. Maybe you can start with 1 tablet a day for a few days and then add the other tablet once you've adjusted? Eventually you could probably work up to several tablets each day with no problem if needed. I know any changes can cause havock to my system, so even helpful things must be ramped up slowly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a lot to me. My doctor started me on 1/2 tps of the powder once a day and then I progressed weekly to 1tsp twice a day. I never knew some people take such high doses for IBS. Although it may have something to do with whether you have C or D. I have both. But if you have C, you may need to take a lot more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually, 1 scoop is about a tsp or so, so really I'm not taking that much. The can says to take 3 scoops a day (or up to 6 maximum) so I thought that half a scoop twice a day would be a good easy start. One scoop is equivalent to 2 grams insoluble fiber (Methylcellulose).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for replying. My doctor wanted me to bulk up my stools since I am usually ISB-D, but have fluxuating to "almost" normal stools..well not all the time...but sometimes.Realist...I am 100% positive my long day of horrific cramps were caused by taking those 2 tabs of Citrucel. The cramps were so different as opposed to the cramping that I get when something (food) doesn't agree with me. I called a pharmacist & he said...Citrucel will cause cramping and maybe the two tabs were just two much for my body to handle. Realist... he suggested what you said, start slow since I have never taken any of these products before...half tab in am/pm and see how that goes...then later try 1 tab if body able to tolerate. Do you all drink lots of H2O when you take this stuff? After taking those two tabs...I did drink as suggested...however, it made me terrible thirsty all day long.Maybe I drank too much water?? Thanks everyone!Lizzie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do drink a full glass of water with 1/2 scoop of powder, which is about the same as 1/2 tablet. It leaves me feeling very full for about a half-hour afterwards, and then I usually get thirsty again about a half-hour later and drink another glass of water (actually I usually mix it with juice or some other liquid, but it's the same amount of water).I think splitting it up in the day makes it much easier on your system and increases its helpful effects.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi catfish. Do you perfer the powder versus the tablets, just curious? My GI doc prescribed the Citrucel tabs as I stated to "bulk" up my stools...and also as a preventative measure to ward off diverticlosis...he seems to think I could be headed that way if I don't get bulk in my stools. I love fruit & veggies, whole grains etc... He said to continue to eat the way I do unless it really bothers me and to take the Citrucel...but, for some reason (don't know...he hasn't returned my calls since last Monday)he wanted me to only take the tablets, not the powder. I didn't think there was a difference. I really don't like swallowing pills, but he said it would be more effective in my case.I like your idea of taking half tab earlier in the day & the other half later...maybe towards bedtime. I took half after reading your post, so maybe this will help me with less cramping and make it easier on my system. Thanks for replying. Take care. Lizzie

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi Lizzie,I'm IBS-D & I followed this advise from ...com:*For the soluble fiber powders (Acacia Tummy Fiber, Citrucel, Benefiber) Start at 1 level teaspoon twice a day and over the next week or two (or three or four) work up to 2 tablespoons twice a day, or the equivalent of 12-15 grams of soluble fiber supplement per day. It really works. This is a great article on soluble fiber: ../supplements/sol_fiber1.asp I take metamucil, because it's the only fiber powder available where I live. If I take just a tsp of fiber however, it makes things worse. I jumped right to 4 T, divided, a day, and started having formed ones right away. It took probably 2 days for my body to adjust--very mild discomfort in the abdominals. Everyone is different.I should say, it works unless I eat HFCS, or ctn raw fruits & veg's. They're formed, but still not normal. It does help you live a normal life though! I hope the DA-IBS also helps you, let us know on the other thread. T-

·
Registered
110 Posts
I take the powder because I like to drink fruit smoothies anyway (fruit doesn't bother me at all, it actually helps) and the powder actually makes the smoothies smoother so I really like it! That and I don't like swallowing capsules. I don't see what possible benefit the capsules could have over the powder except perhaps for the absence of sugar or the convenience of taking them on the road, but you still need to take them with a glass of water so that isn't a huge plus in my opinion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talissa & Catfish...a big hello! Talissa, thanks for info & web-site! Catfish...I hate to swallow pills too and I absolutely love smoothies too! I love fruit, period!Well, this morning...nooooooooooo horrible cramping...yea!! Just pray the rest of the day is the same! So, maybe the two Citrucel tabs were too much for my system and the half tab regiment taken twice (a.m. and p.m.) will work for me. So far so good in the loo and more formed! Thanks everyone!Lizzie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.