Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I'm just curious about something.I've been taking Citrucel for the past 3 weeks now. My doctor told me to try a fiber sup. and see if that helped to make me feel better. It definitely did and I'm feeling awesome. I've had a couple of relapses, but nothing like before. I was thinking about weening (sp) myself off of them and seeing how I feel. Has anyone else felt better from the fiber and tried to stop taking it or would you think this isn't a good idea?Thanks Aubs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Citrucel is a soluable (sp) fiber supplement that (someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong)has Methycellulose. My understanding is that helps to "soak up" extra water in the body to make more solid B.M.sAubs

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Aubs, I have taken citrucel religiously for the last two years to help with my IBS - my doctor told me that it wouldn't hurt to keep taking it because its not like a stimulative laxative. If you really want to go off of it, then i would suggest that you should increase the amount of soluble fiber in your diet to take its place. I plan on taking mine forever if i have to though - i'd rather take a couple pills a day then deal with the IBS!
Kac

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes I did that, but it was before I was diagnosed with IBS. At the time it worked for me to be on Citrucel for a few months at a time as needed, then go off it. That went on for several years, then I was on it all the time for about a year before being diagnosed, 3x/day during flare ups and 1x/day otherwise. After a few months I was taking it 3x/day every day. I tried getting off it during that period but each time the result was a flare up that took several weeks to recover from. Wasn't worth it to me. One day, like turning off a light switch, the Citrucel just stopped working. That's when I finally submitted to all the tests I'd been avoiding. If it works for you now, I'd go with it. It's one of the safest things you can do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies. Currently I take 2 tablets once a day during lunch. I started taking 1 day on Monday and then didn't know if that's really what I wanted to do. My doctor also told me it won't hurt to take it daily so I think I'm going to continue to do just that. It works so I think I'll just stick with it until it doesn't. It's also forcing me to get in my daily water! Thanks again, I really really appreciate it.Aubs

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It won't hurt to take it forever sine it is just fiber, not a laxative. I used to take it religiously and it worked pretty well. I've found since that it wasn't enough but hopefully it will be for you.good luck!nancyp.s. I saw Walmart has a generic equivalent now in the capsules. Almost 50% less too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I take the Citrucel that you mix with water each morning after breakfast. My doctor recommended it to help remedy constipation! And it has been very helpful. (I only have D if I accidentally eat a trigger food; otherwise, C is my curse.)I tried Metamucil but it makes me gassy/burpy. My mom however swears by it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have bad abdominal pain (not just IBS related), and when I bought Citrucel, it said not to take it if you have abdominal pain. I tried Fiber Choice but they didn't do much. I just bought a cereal called "Fiber One"... one cup of it and you have all of your daily fiber. It doesn't taste good, but its worth it if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was having abdominal pain that was IBS related. I also had (could still have) and ovarian cyst and after I started taking the Citrucel, I could pin point exactly where the cyst was and when I was in pain from it, it was only in that one place. I haven't had anymore serious abdominal pain since. Aubs

·
Registered
290 Posts
hey meckle, how d'you find the citricidal? i've been taking it for ten days, and really it's the only thing that's ever shown concrete results for me in that kind of timeframe. no cure as such, but a pretty cool level of improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.