Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone with IBS who swears that eating 2 Archway coconut macaroons a day keeps her symptoms at bay. Any experience with this "cure?"

· Registered
880 Posts
I read an article in Prevention magazine saying some people swear by two coconut macaroons a day to help digestive problems. It said something about coconut be a remedy for digestive ails in a lot of cultures. My mom have I have even joked about it -- our IBS problems are always better when we are together (we live 1200 miles apart so we're only together a few times a year)... and we used to thing it was that life was less stressful when we were together. Then I read that article, and I said maybe it was because we eat a lot of coconut macaroons when we are together! Who knows?[This message has been edited by Mannie (edited 02-08-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, but this just cracks me up!!! If there ever was a coincidence, this is it.You see, I was in the cookie aisle at the market the other day and I stumbled upon...you guessed it-ARCHWAY COCONUT MACAROONS!! "Yum" I said. "It's been years since I've had one of these". Well, I took a nap on Sunday, woke up with my usual munchies and ate three of those delectable little morsels. (I hardly EVER eat sweets). They were so good. After that, I made a stirfry (my "IBS" is usually brought on by too many fresh "blanched" veggies in one day and sometimes I forget) which launched a heinous attack on my innerds. Guess I should have saved the macaroons for dessert, eh?Weird weird weird.Feel better everyone.Alison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing...Did you guys know that Archway Coconut Macaroons contain 5 grams of fat and 100 calories per cookie!??? YIKES!Alison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prof. Knows-too-much will now provide the answer to this vexing question. The well known botanic antifungal Caprylic acid is isolated from coconut! (think dried coconut=Copra). The mixture with the antioxidants in the chocolate obviously ...well it does some mysterious thing, along with the preservatives in those cookies, which can sit on the sink for 2 months and still be edible (except in houston). Remember, taking the 4 basic food groups, sugar, salt, fat, and preservatives, can kill all the bad bugs in your gut.Professor knows-too-much has channelled with advanced civilizations from the future who subsist wholy on Archway coconut maccarons. They have one bowel movement a week, fridays at 4:21 pm. (rough on the sewer system).[This message has been edited by Chuck-w (edited 02-09-2000).]

· Registered
2,986 Posts
Last year, I also started a thread about this same thing. Only, my info. from the newspaper mentioned the macaroons being helpful for certain people with Chron's. However, that was GOOD enough for me! Off I went immediately on an Archway CM hunt. The cookies did ME no good, except that I enjoyed them (and I went through at least 3 boxes of them). You're right: they don't last so long in Houston -- for various reasons!
Interesting info., Chuck! However, I should add that some people may be a bit sensitive to coconut (I could be one of them). Also, the sugar (fructose?) in the cookies might bother some IBSers -- since sugar can overstimulate the colon and on and on...you know.------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.