Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone with IBS who swears that eating 2 Archway coconut macaroons a day keeps her symptoms at bay. Any experience with this "cure?"

·
Registered
880 Posts
I read an article in Prevention magazine saying some people swear by two coconut macaroons a day to help digestive problems. It said something about coconut be a remedy for digestive ails in a lot of cultures. My mom have I have even joked about it -- our IBS problems are always better when we are together (we live 1200 miles apart so we're only together a few times a year)... and we used to thing it was that life was less stressful when we were together. Then I read that article, and I said maybe it was because we eat a lot of coconut macaroons when we are together! Who knows?[This message has been edited by Mannie (edited 02-08-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, but this just cracks me up!!! If there ever was a coincidence, this is it.You see, I was in the cookie aisle at the market the other day and I stumbled upon...you guessed it-ARCHWAY COCONUT MACAROONS!! "Yum" I said. "It's been years since I've had one of these". Well, I took a nap on Sunday, woke up with my usual munchies and ate three of those delectable little morsels. (I hardly EVER eat sweets). They were so good. After that, I made a stirfry (my "IBS" is usually brought on by too many fresh "blanched" veggies in one day and sometimes I forget) which launched a heinous attack on my innerds. Guess I should have saved the macaroons for dessert, eh?Weird weird weird.Feel better everyone.Alison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing...Did you guys know that Archway Coconut Macaroons contain 5 grams of fat and 100 calories per cookie!??? YIKES!Alison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prof. Knows-too-much will now provide the answer to this vexing question. The well known botanic antifungal Caprylic acid is isolated from coconut! (think dried coconut=Copra). The mixture with the antioxidants in the chocolate obviously ...well it does some mysterious thing, along with the preservatives in those cookies, which can sit on the sink for 2 months and still be edible (except in houston). Remember, taking the 4 basic food groups, sugar, salt, fat, and preservatives, can kill all the bad bugs in your gut.Professor knows-too-much has channelled with advanced civilizations from the future who subsist wholy on Archway coconut maccarons. They have one bowel movement a week, fridays at 4:21 pm. (rough on the sewer system).[This message has been edited by Chuck-w (edited 02-09-2000).]

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Chuck, really? Members of advanced civilizations from the future who exist on Archway coconut macaroons? Four basic food groups, you say? Well, the caprylic acid sounds credible...except maybe in Houston. Funny!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Last year, I also started a thread about this same thing. Only, my info. from the newspaper mentioned the macaroons being helpful for certain people with Chron's. However, that was GOOD enough for me! Off I went immediately on an Archway CM hunt. The cookies did ME no good, except that I enjoyed them (and I went through at least 3 boxes of them). You're right: they don't last so long in Houston -- for various reasons!
Interesting info., Chuck! However, I should add that some people may be a bit sensitive to coconut (I could be one of them). Also, the sugar (fructose?) in the cookies might bother some IBSers -- since sugar can overstimulate the colon and on and on...you know.------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.