Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the new release "Castaway" the other night and I heard Tom Hanks say, during the movie, that cocunut milk was a natural laxative. I don't know if this is true or not...i've never heard of it before. Has anyone tried it for "C" type?

·
Registered
546 Posts
i was just watching a survival show last night (NOT "Survivor", but a real show on survival skills). the survival guide said that you can drink the milk and eat the meat of 3 coconuts in one day, but any more than 3 and you will start feeling the natural laxative affects of the coconut. he did not state specifically if its the milk OR the meat, or both combined that create a laxative. PLUS, any "coconut milk" i've seen in the stores are full of sugar, just like the shredded coconut you find in the baking goods section. perhaps buying whole coconuts would be the smartest way to go if you want to try this to help with ibs-C (which i'm guessing is what you have?)i'd be really curious to see how this would help someone with IBS-c. has anyone tried this to see if its a good remedy?

·
Registered
546 Posts
i was just watching a survival show last night (NOT "Survivor", but a real show on survival skills). the survival guide said that you can drink the milk and eat the meat of 3 coconuts in one day, but any more than 3 and you will start feeling the natural laxative affects of the coconut. he did not state specifically if its the milk OR the meat, or both combined that create a laxative. PLUS, any "coconut milk" i've seen in the stores are full of sugar, just like the shredded coconut you find in the baking goods section. perhaps buying whole coconuts would be the smartest way to go if you want to try this to help with ibs-C (which i'm guessing is what you have?)i'd be really curious to see how this would help someone with IBS-c. has anyone tried this to see if its a good remedy?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know how this would help me...I've always wondered what would happen to me if I was stranded on a desert island. I thought I'd die of C without my water and magnesium. Now I know to eat coconuts!I saw the movie the other day too and was actually thinking about looking it up!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know how this would help me...I've always wondered what would happen to me if I was stranded on a desert island. I thought I'd die of C without my water and magnesium. Now I know to eat coconuts!I saw the movie the other day too and was actually thinking about looking it up!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I have read and heard that the fat from coconuts is one of the worst kind for your heart. I don't think I'd want to consume large amounts of it very often. If moderate amounts were helpful though, it would be worth it. I guess it boils down to the question of which you prefer--a heart attack or C.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I have read and heard that the fat from coconuts is one of the worst kind for your heart. I don't think I'd want to consume large amounts of it very often. If moderate amounts were helpful though, it would be worth it. I guess it boils down to the question of which you prefer--a heart attack or C.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't know whether it would help with C or not. I just wanted to mention that he was referring to the water in the coconut when you crack it open. You can by canned coconut milk in stores, but that is coconut meat processed with water, which isn't the same thing.Coconut in various forms has been used throughout history to help with digestive ailments. I read that in an article about how some people with Chron's benefit from eating coconut every day.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't know whether it would help with C or not. I just wanted to mention that he was referring to the water in the coconut when you crack it open. You can by canned coconut milk in stores, but that is coconut meat processed with water, which isn't the same thing.Coconut in various forms has been used throughout history to help with digestive ailments. I read that in an article about how some people with Chron's benefit from eating coconut every day.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is really interesting. I'm C, and havecraved coconut of late. I've made two big batches of pineapple coconut rice. (Made the rice with unsweetened low fat coconut milk I found at Trader Joe's.) It was like a comfort food ... soothing to my digestive tract. Less bloating for a while than usual. I thought I was just satisfying mycraving, but maybe my body was telling me something? Anyone else actually tried coconut, in any form?

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is really interesting. I'm C, and havecraved coconut of late. I've made two big batches of pineapple coconut rice. (Made the rice with unsweetened low fat coconut milk I found at Trader Joe's.) It was like a comfort food ... soothing to my digestive tract. Less bloating for a while than usual. I thought I was just satisfying mycraving, but maybe my body was telling me something? Anyone else actually tried coconut, in any form?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I tried coconut macaroons after reading about how they helped people with Crohn's. It gave me one of the worst IBS attacks ever. Then I was on vacation in Key West (years ago, when I could still work and travel), and had two pina coladas (ended up in the Emergency Room and they were considering gallbladder surgery). It's now ten years later and I still haven't had my gallbladder out or any gallbladder problems. I think I just cannot tolerate coconut milk or coconut flakes. I'm C-type.------------------***Gail

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I tried coconut macaroons after reading about how they helped people with Crohn's. It gave me one of the worst IBS attacks ever. Then I was on vacation in Key West (years ago, when I could still work and travel), and had two pina coladas (ended up in the Emergency Room and they were considering gallbladder surgery). It's now ten years later and I still haven't had my gallbladder out or any gallbladder problems. I think I just cannot tolerate coconut milk or coconut flakes. I'm C-type.------------------***Gail

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.