Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Doctor has suggested that I try "Codeine 2x30 mg" for days when I have to be somewhere and am having a bad Bathroom morning. He says it will parlyze the bowel for a short (1 - 2 hrs) time and that will allow me to drive to where I am going without stopping at the bathrooms along the way. Has anyone heard of this or tried it ? I'm a little concerned because the warning label says it might cause drowsiness ? (Also posted this on the Med's board)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I take codeine 3 with tylenol and it is very constipating. However, I don't use it like your doctor suggests, I only know that it does constipate. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I used to be on pain killers(tylenol 3, plain codeine). I found the pure codiene made me very ichy. I was on the Tylenol 3s for a very long time and was taking up to 8 a day. I was taking it for pain control(Not for IBS) but i didn't find it did anythign for my D. The whole time i was on the pills i had very bad D. I have no proof fo rhtis but i think me taking so much tylenol and other meds(mostly the tylenol as i was on that most of the time) cause my IBS problems. Its really not good to be taking a pain med for very long. Its not good for your liver and it can't be good for your stomach.I wouldn't suggest taking codiene or tylenol jsut for D prevention. If you want somethign to stop the D try Immodium, its gut specific

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your feedback. Sort of what I have thought. I had never heard of it for treating IBS / D but just wondered. I do take Immodium on a fairly regular basis but feel that it is not doing what it used to. Seems like I need twice as much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have never tried pain relievers and have never heard it before recently. Now I here it all the time. Like you, I used to use immondium. My doctor some years ago when I was in high school suggested it to help with cramping and D. Unfortunately, since he told me to take every morning, I became pretty immune to it and now have to take so many pills to control anything , it isn't worth it. On top of all those pills, I still go to the bathroom. I have tried all the different pills out there and nothing has worked. I am getting ready to start lotranex tomorrow. I am scared cause of the side effects, but I have heard some great feeback from everyone here and I am going to try it. I am only taking 1 mg every three days to start. I hope you find something to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Codeine has long been recognized and used to treat diarrhea....I think you can read more about it on a pharmacy website.The codeine that was mentioned in the original post does not contain tylenol...so there shouldn't be any liver concerns associated with using the tincture. Actually, pain killers that do not have aspirin or tylenol combined with them are some of the safest drugs out there to treat pain....as far as not affecting organs adversely (like the NSAIDs do, for example). Although not as commonly prescribed for diarrhea nowadays.....codeine is a safe and effective way to control it for some people. It is worth a try in my opinion, as every one finds the right solution by trial and error. And why dismiss something that may work incredible well?Do a search and you will find a few threads / post that discusses the use of codeine to treat diarrhea.Laurie

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you have the pure codiene it may be worth trying. But be wary of the side effects. After taking it for a while i got VERY VERY itchy and just like any other pill it causes drowsiness. So make sure you dont' have anything important to do when you first start taking it untill you are sure how you react. I found it amde me very tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts