Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that African coffee triggers fireworks in my gut after drinking it a few days while American coffee (South or Central) is fine. All the coffee that is produced in the UK or Europe is from Africa, unless Colombia or a specific American country is specified. I am not a special coffee lover and do not notice any difference in the taste, just in the effects.I have searched the Internet and have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. Can anyone confirm this from their own experience? Or perhaps someone wants to try it out and see if it helps them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I noticed when I drink coffee from Kenya, I'm flying to the loo with bad cramps and D. American coffee is fine with my stomach as well.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know about region, but there are different beans and often the cheap coffee anywhere tends to be "robusta" and "arabica".I believe robusta has more caffiene.I found this site and it looks like they grow more "robusta" in africahttp://kaffee.netfirms.com/Coffee/robustavsarabica.htmlCaffiene can set off diarrhea/IBS and if the coffee has more caffiene in it you could see a bigger effect.There may be differences in the oils that make the flavor and that may have some effect.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get the coffee from Gevalia where they tell you what part of the world that it comes from. I stay away from all african beans, but the coffee from Kenya just tastes soooo good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every standard coffee that is processed in Europe, no matter which brand, is from African beans. That is if it is manufactured in Britain, or Germany or Portugal or France or anywhere else in Europe, then it is made from African beans (unless it says specifically otherwise). Every coffee made in the Western hemisphere is made from American coffee beans (unless stated otherwise). I cannot detect any difference in taste but my stomach can tell the difference. I saw a Nestle coffee manufactured in Korea. I asked the importer which beans were used in its manufacture but I was told that is a trade secret. There are supposed to be 3 major coffee growing regions: South and Central America, Africa and Indonesia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts