Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having worked in a gourmet coffee house and enjoying a good coffee like a glass of wine, I have to resign myself that coffee is a total trigger for my IBS-D and bloating symptoms. Yesterday, for example, no coffee and I felt fine... today, I had a nice cup of gourmet Second Cup "Paradiso Noir" and tonight... ick... bloat and D.I am willing to bet that coffee is a major trigger for almost everyone, eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I think Coffee is a trigger.Talking to people at work I get the feeling it affects other people the same way.Wheather they have IBS or not.As for me, If I drink it earlier in the morning it acts as a instant laxative.I can drink coffe but my body handles it better later in the day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am wondering about coffee too - I hear it is a trigger for many people... I have a hunch it might be for me too, but I love the stuff so god-dam much that I've never tried to cut it out (stupid, huh!) I like tea too, not as much as coffee, but I would be more than willing to have it as a substitute...however, there's just as much caffeine in tea than coffee isn't there? Is it actually the caffeine that causes the problem though? So many questions!... I can't stand herbal tea (well, I can, but I can't imagine getting out of bed hnd having my morning 'herbal tea' instead of that wonderful 'morning coffee'!Sorry, guys, not a helpful post as such, just my thoughts and ramblings!

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
tree,there is not that much caffiene in tea (maybe a third as much???). tea has other stimulants besides caffiene and that is why it still acts as a stimulant. i think that theophyline (sp??) is one stimulant.coffee seems to aggravate everything in me. tea not as much but it can still cause extreme jitters.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, regular coffee was a trigger for me too. I have been drinking KAVA which is 90% acid neutralized. I seem to handle it very well and this way I can still have my "cake and eat it too"
. The taste is something you will have to get used to. I am to the point now where I actually like the stuff a lot.
Angela

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm by no means an expert here but I believe it's the caffeine that's causing the problem. I have been drinking decaf coffee and tea for years. Admittedly, my IBS is only a year old but I've had no particular reaction to the decaf. It's not that bad once you get used to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
JayW,For me it is definitely not the caffeine; if it was, I would not be able to drink KAVA. When I have a regular cup of coffee I hurt big time. I believe it's the acid in the coffee that is causing the pain for me. Angela

·
Registered
517 Posts
Coffee causes me problems too. I usually never drink it unless i want to have stomach problems. I usually drink it if i have somewhere to go in the afternoon as its my "test". If i can drink the coffee without getting sick then i should be fine the rest of the day. I fi drink it and get D then it is usually over by the time i have to go out later and i don't haveto worry about my tummy for the rest of the day. Its really weird

·
Registered
510 Posts
Coffee was the first thing I gave up to relieve my symptoms. It was a major break-through at the time. I read somewhere that regular and decaf are both triggers because of an enzyme in the coffee. (I think it was Heather Van Vorous' book.) I gave it all up. I drink chamomile and peppermint tea sometimes when I need a hot drink. I'm an extreme person, not someone to do things in moderation, so if I can give up coffee, I imagine most people can! But I still love the smell and hang around the coffee pot to get a good whiff!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used to drink 4 cups a day...and now i quit...and I MISS IT. But i too tried Decaf and had the same reaction...I will say i was like a clock on coffee...9:30am EVERY DAY.Now i go 2 days with no BM and then on Day 3 i "unload"

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have found that certain kinds of coffee are easier to tolerate than others - I always figured it was the acid or some kind of enzyme that varies from variety to variety.I do well with organic sumatran -ground fresh - as long as I don't have more than a cup. But if I have Folger's or something similar, forget it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.