Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 30. I can remember drink coffee, cream and sugar since the age of 5. A few people that I know also have IBS/loose stools. Both of them began drinking coffee at a very young age.I wonder if starting a coffee habit in diapers has led to my bad stomach/colon.Any others out there been life long coffee drinkers?Curious?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My IBS symptoms developed when I was 22 -- didn't start drinking coffee until I was 30+. I do have to watch how much coffe I drink. When my symptoms are the worst I can't drink as much or any at all as it seems to make it worse.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also started drinking coffee at a very young age (when I was 6 I would drink coffee with milk and sugar and could tolerate it fine).Now at 23 though just the smell of coffee can sometimes make me run for the nearest bathroom (especially early in the morning).Also I first started noticing my IBS-D symptoms after I would drink coffee or one of this shakes loaded with caffeine at Starbucks

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I didn't start until I was about 20; but I had a horrible dependance on it for a number of years. In my 30s, as a cook, I could drink up to 20 cups a day. Since my IBS seemingly developed from digestive problems (indigestion to gastritus to IBS-D to reflux) coffee, cigs, alcohol, and a high fat diet all played a part.Mark

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I drink coffee in the morning, I immediately (within moments) run to the bathroom and explode. If I drink it later in the day it hurts my stomach. I have a horrible dependency on it but I'd rather not have these problems so I should probably give it up.I was just curious on how many people started drinking the stuff at a young age to see if coffee is the culprit to IBS. Just searching for answers. Guess I'll have to ask God....when I get there..lol.Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coffee goes right through me within 15 minutes- I usually have 1 cup every morning- doctor told me to cut out all caffeine. I have found that black or green tea does not bother me as much and for some reason hot tea is more tollerable than ice tea for me.

G

·
quote:Originally posted by sickofbeingsick22:I am 30. I can remember drink coffee, cream and sugar since the age of 5. A few people that I know also have IBS/loose stools. Both of them began drinking coffee at a very young age.I wonder if starting a coffee habit in diapers has led to my bad stomach/colon.Any others out there been life long coffee drinkers?Curious?
Wow...that is really interesting. I started drinking coffee at a young age..maybe 13 or so. I love it and cannot go one day without it. That could be a big reason for my loose stool and D. I remember going to a local Dunkin Donuts about 6 months ago and getting a very large coffee with whipped cream on top and that afternoon, I had one of my worst D experiences of my life! I swore off Dunkin', not coffee...figuring it was maybe a dirty coffeemaker or unsanitary habits of the personnel. Maybe it was the coffee after all. I can't give up coffee though! I'm in serious denial here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.