Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to know the difference between the two. There are some tapes out there by Lucinda Bassett that are cognitive therapy in nature. I asked them today on their line if this was hypnotherapy and they told me NO it was cognitive therapy.I have been thinking about doing either these tapes or Mike's tapes and just wonder what the difference might be. I think hers work on the stress, anxiety and worry issues and not sure what Mike's tapes are all about.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hi Rita, both those programs are very different. Lucinda Bassett tapes are tapes for anxiety and are around 250.00 dollars I believe. I have heard others thats have used them and liked them very much. This is mainly for anxiety however. Which helps IBS, but not like the specific HT for IBS.Mike's tapes are 88 dollars and are Hypnotherapy specifically for IBS. It is a 100 day program and is Gut specific hypnotherapy a type of HT for IBS that Mike has been doing for years. They will reduce the anxiety, but they also work on reducing all the symptoms of IBS. Where as the anxiety tapes reduce anxiety which in turn may help your IBS. Reading this, your probably wondering what the difference really is, but actually there is a big difference one works also conciously, Lucinda's and Mike's works on another level subconciously where digestion works for the most part.These are two completely different programs used for different reasons, although they overlap at anxiety.Its easier for me to point you to Mike's website to explain, but if you have questions let me know.www.ibsaudioprogram.comI have heard good things about the anxiety ones also.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think her tapes are more like $400.00. Well I am checking into all this. I might benefit by some of this but I am not sure what is best for me. I need to try to evaluate myself....
I think with IBS there is a general anxiety caused by IBS but I am suspicious that some of the short of breath trouble I have been getting lately might be stressed induced as well. I have never thought of myself as an anxious type person but I do tend to be a worrier at times and this I know is also anxiety related.Anyway, sounds like Mike's tapes might be the way to start and perhaps one of Lucinda's books for now..

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Rita, if the anxiety is IBS driven, then you probably want to go with Mike tapes. One thing about HT, is you don't have to do anything but listen, there is no concious effort involved.Even if a person things stress is not involved in their IBS, relaxation can still work on IBS. HT however is not just relaxation or to get rid of anxiety, these are benefits of it like side effects.Dr Bolen's book, is CBT for IBS so you know. You can also get DR Bolens book and Mike's tapes together off the site at a discount.Lucinda's tapes must have gone up, I thought they were cheaper then that really. I have like I said heard good things about them though, but if its IBS anxiety and IBS symptoms I recommend the HT route, its easy, enjoyable and all you have to do is listen and they are effective for the majority (80% if not higher even) of people who do them for IBS. There are no side effects and its safe and easy. It is the only thing I do know personally and I have had severe pain predominate c and d IBS for thirty years.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will order Mike's tapes and start there. My gastro has advised biofeedback many years ago but of course I didn't do it. I am having a bout right now and I am on my bentyl the last few days and it is working somewhat but I need to do more. Exercise only gets me so far and then it is too much and then I don't feel good so I don't exercise.I have had IBS since childhood...always been a C type. When I was a child I just didn't go to the bathroom (once a week maybe). I hated public places and learned just not to go in public restrooms. I was very picky about where I went to the bathroom. Even at friends or relatives homes it was difficult for me. As I am older now I don't have those issues about restrooms or where to go to the bathroom.I do have this constant idea when I am in a bout that something else is wrong (anxiety kicks in). I have had most of the tests but I need to still have the upper GI and the hida scan. My symptoms for years were lower colon and mostly on my left side. Now everything seems to be in the upper right. I am still not sure that it is not my gallbladder although my gastro tells me that IBS does affect the upper right quadrant as well. But then you hear so many people who suffered so long with a bad gallbladder and then finally have it out and they are fine.The thing I hate most is you are going along just fine and then bam....here it is again!!! When I am busy and I get in a bout of IBS I do get very anxious about what I have on my plate. I guess I don't want to have to cancel or not meet my obligations. (We are hard on oursleves)!I have a huge project I am involved in right now and I think in the back of my mind I am thinking about it in reference to this IBS bout I am in. I have a deadline in a couple of weeks and I am very stressed about not feeling good and being able to finish it. I have asked for some help and my friends have been wonderful to help but still the majority is on me. Like most of us on here...it is so difficult at times to over extend ourselves or meet deadlines when we are not feeling good. You know the "I want to be normal" talk we give ourselves.Anyway, that's where I am at today.... I had lunch with my husband and I asked him if he thought I was an anxious person... he said well no but he thinks I am under a lot of stress and the two go hand in hand. I told him about the tapes and he thinks it is a good idea too.Thanks for the information...I have found a couple of web sites also that helped me to know the difference in CBT and HT.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Rita, just know that we will help you out with all this and that the things you describe are very common in IBS as fas as our thoughts go.I urge you to make sure if your symptoms change to have that check out right away with your doctor, before you start anything. Its very important.Like I said we will help and guide you through and if you have any questions just post them to the CBT and HT forum. Also, it will help to look and read around that forum. The preference is set for thirty days, but you can change that and I have posted a ton of info on there over the years.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Rita:I'm glad you've decided to try the tapes. They definitely do help a great deal.
But, as Eric says, make sure your doc knows what's going on with you.Are you still having the breathing problem? I hope it clears up soon. Keep us posted.JeanG

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Rita, I am not saying this is what the problem is, but some people with IBS have the breathing problem, because when the colon contracts like that it puts pressure on the diaphram. However, you want to be sure.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rita,I did both sets of tapes. I did Lucinda Bassett's tapes many years ago, around 1993. They helped alot with the anxiety, and in those tapes I first learned about IBS. I also did hypnotherapy before, but it was not gut-directed like Mike's tapes, and although it helped with anxiety, it did not affect my IBS symptoms. Mike's tapes are the only thing that worked on my IBS symptoms, and it also helped my anxiety. I would advise doing Mike's tapes first. You probably won't need any others.AZ

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Rita, just FYI - there was a study done that showed that the pain signals in IBS patients didn't go to the painkilling part of the brain - they went to the anxiety part. This may explain on a more biological (I don't think that's the right word - maybe physiological?) level why IBS people can feel the anxious, something's wrong feeling when they get pain. I'm sorry that I don't have a link to the article.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My symptoms haven't changed in a lot of years mabye the last 6 or so. I get the upper right quandrant pain and Eric yes you are right my Dr. told me the same thing -- presses on the diaphragm. I get that heavy feeling in my chest also because of indigestion. Last night I had a burning sensation from my right rib area down to my right hip area and of course I always feel the pain in my shoulder blades. This week the bentyl did help relax some of the spasm up there because some of the pain in my shoulder blades decreased. I have this gurgling sensation on the right side today. I remember having this a few months ago. It is like there is a tightening and things are slipping through a narrow space. Anyway...last time I saw my Dr. a couple of months ago he firmly believed it was still IBS but he does want to do the hida scan. I put it off because of my fear of being allergic to the injection. I have been so allergic the last couple of years and I put it in my head that I could be allergic to the injection. I talked to my Dr. at my last visit and he explained how rare that would be. Now I just need to schedule it.So I will get the tests and I will order the tapes. Thanks for all the information...AZ I am glad you recommend Mike's tapes because that's the direction I was thinking too. Lucinda's tapes sound good but they seem to be for people who are very anxious and with panic attacks.. Not really sure.wandering: if you ever find that article I would be interested in seeing it. My Dr. always told me that IBS causes anxiety. You don't feel good they tell you nothing is really wrong...enough right there to set it off. Jean: Are you better...?? I hope you are doing better. was it the thyroid meds? My breathing seems to be a bit better the last couple of days. I have less pressure going on. I am sure it is IBS. I have a recheck next week for my ear next week and I will have my Dr. check my heart also. I doubt it is my heart and more from the IBS.Tom, I think 260 for more than 2 visits would be great...I don't where in this town I could find someone who charges that. The psychologist who my husband and I went to charges around $125.00 - 150.00 per hours. Better to see him with insurance..only costs $25.00 then. We stopped going because our insurance changed, etc. Went twice without insurance and looked at each and said hey....we can do this ourselves...
Eric, I am busy reading everything today..thanks for the info.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
RitaLucy, Guess i should move to Houston? But seriously, i think your experience describes what I am seeing for the most part. if you see somebody competent the 'problem' is usually defined in one or two sessions. often people learn enough about themselves to take care of the problem on their own.tom

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Rita, let me know if I can help with anything.This is what Wanderer was talking about."What would be an example of new understanding? Well one example is that we're starting to understand how the brain is responding to the pain in IBS. There have been some studies done where they've artificially created a kind of an irritable bowel by placing a balloon to stretch the bowel, and that produces pain. Then they've compared people with IBS to non-IBS, or "normal" individuals. And what they've found is that when you stretch the bowel-and use PET scans to monitor the response-in normal individuals, certain areas of the brain that register pain respond and release chemicals called neurotransmitters that suppress and lower the pain. But it seems that doesn't happen as well in people with IBS. In fact, in people with IBS another area of the brain responds that is associated with anxiety. So what we find is that people with IBS, aside from having a bowel problem, may have some difficulty in terms of the way their brain is regulating the pain." http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Rita:I'm glad you're feeling better.
I am too, since they took me off the thyroid med that they think may have caused the problem. I go to the endocrinologist today.Have fun with the hypno.
It's been part of my life now for 2 years, since it's so relaxing (and enjoyable).JeanG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.