Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, long time no see (read)
Well, I promised (a couple of *years* ago) to do a followup on my experience with the colestid, so here it is. It was GREAT...for a while. I guess maybe 3 months, but then the effect of curtailing my "D" began to wear off. I stayed on it for a couple of months more anyway, but then my cholesterol started going up, so the doc switched me to Zocor (nope, doesn't help the "D" a bit). Sooooo, back to watching my diet and taking Immodium.For those of you wondering what I've been up to, Mazzy and I got married
and she's been keeping me pretty busy around the house, but at least it looks like someone actually lives here now! ROFL (and I'm *very* glad we have 3 bathrooms
) I've also been busy working with a Post Polio Syndrome support group, so I haven't had much time to check in here and see what's happening. Its okay, tho, I should be able to catch up in oh, say, a couple of *months*! WOW, Jeff, this board has GROWN!Anyway, hello to all my old friends, and howdy to the new folks.

G

·
Bill: It never did work for me as a cholesterol med. I take it along with my regular cholesterol stuff (doc says thats fine). Did you try upping the dosage off Cholestid? I read here that there was someone taking 4 pills a day.

G

·
Bill: It never did work for me as a cholesterol med. I take it along with my regular cholesterol stuff (doc says thats fine). Did you try upping the dosage off Cholestid? I read here that there was someone taking 4 pills a day.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ma'am, at the doctor's request, I upped it to 4, then 6 then 8 per day with no effect on the cholesterol (well...*some* but not enough). But even at those dosages (sheesh, nothing like trying to swallow 8 of THOSE horse pills at once), I never did get the initial relief from D I was hoping for.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes ma'am, at the doctor's request, I upped it to 4, then 6 then 8 per day with no effect on the cholesterol (well...*some* but not enough). But even at those dosages (sheesh, nothing like trying to swallow 8 of THOSE horse pills at once), I never did get the initial relief from D I was hoping for.

G

·
Whoa--that's a lot of pills! And still no relief? I'd give it up at that point too. Since the instructions say to take a glass of water with a pill you could at least get your full day's supply of water real fast.
Sorry it didn't work for you--it's like a miracle when it does!

G

·
Whoa--that's a lot of pills! And still no relief? I'd give it up at that point too. Since the instructions say to take a glass of water with a pill you could at least get your full day's supply of water real fast.
Sorry it didn't work for you--it's like a miracle when it does!

· Registered
30 Posts
BillDid you try the powder ??? My GI dr. told me that the pills are not for stopping D. I have been on the powered for 6 weeks now and can eat almost anything....sure hope it keeps working. We're trying it because I've had my gallbladder out and the GI dr. said all my problems might be due to what is called bile salts D .....I can only ray this will keep working.Becky

· Registered
30 Posts
BillDid you try the powder ??? My GI dr. told me that the pills are not for stopping D. I have been on the powered for 6 weeks now and can eat almost anything....sure hope it keeps working. We're trying it because I've had my gallbladder out and the GI dr. said all my problems might be due to what is called bile salts D .....I can only ray this will keep working.Becky

G

·
Actually, the pills work much better for me than the powder. But, it can't hurt to try the powder. Neither lowers my cholesterol, but since Questran and Colestid don't get processed through the liver it is OK to take them along with your other cholesterol meds (I've been told). I don't like the powder because I find it harder to take and it causes me worse heartburn than the pills.

G

·
Actually, the pills work much better for me than the powder. But, it can't hurt to try the powder. Neither lowers my cholesterol, but since Questran and Colestid don't get processed through the liver it is OK to take them along with your other cholesterol meds (I've been told). I don't like the powder because I find it harder to take and it causes me worse heartburn than the pills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.