Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 23 year old man. I suffer from IBS C and D (mainly D) for my entire life. It's become a daily (or multiple daily) issue. Sitting through class becomes a chore and I often find myself in pain or running to the bathroom. Professors sometimes say "sure, you can leave the test to go to the bathroom, but at that point, you're done w/ the test."
Some professors don't even give a **** what's going on with me.
I just found out I can get the Student Disabilities Services to help me. They said that quite a few people with IBS are being helped by them. They asked me what I want. I don't know what I want, but my grades are being massacred. I just want to graduate and get a job so that I can get on with my life.What has worked for you? Note takers? A/V equipment? They keep offering me a van that gives me rides... but honestly sometimes the walk does my bowels some good. Plus - there's no bathroom in a van, and I'm an expert at knowing where the bathrooms are on the way to class. They keep asking me what I want, but I wouldn't know where to start.I do not take medication because I'm hypersensitive to just about everything and I get terrible side effects. I've taken: Bentyl, Lomotil, Levsin, Levbid, Nulev, Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid, Prilosec, Donnatal, a plethora of antidepressants: Paxil-CR, Zoloft, Prozac, Klonopin, Xanax-XR, Elavil, Ativan. I've tried every diet imaginable. The high fiber one? Forget it. I have 17 credits left and I would hate to quit now. I'm so close. Please help me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't rush yourslef to graduation, u won't have a boss at work who doesn't give a damn what time you come to work like professors in college. It is much easier to go to college than to go to work. more stress at work and more responsibilities.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey angst I'm in the same boat... I'm a year and a half behind all my former highschool friends at college because of having to take time off because of IBS. Last semester I went part time because it got so bad.Luckily this semester I was able to schedule all my classes online, which is great. Since you only have 17 credits left I'm sure these are the classes they don't offer online, but that's what's going to help me this semester.Until I find a medicine that works.I've tried... Prevacid, Nexium, Prilosec(before it was OTC), Donnatal, Donnatal Extentabs, Librax, Levbid, and anti depressants/anxiety meds like Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor XR, Tofranil, and Xanax. The 2 that controlled my symptoms the best was the combination of Tofranil/Xanax. However, both have gone into hibernation mode with controlling my symptoms.Lotronex caused more pain.My next combination is going to be Elavil/Neurontin. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.After this semester, I don't know what I'll do, because since I scheduled all my classes online, I moved back home with my parents... and if I end up having to go back to school the next semester I'll have an hour commute each way everyday... While I'm at it, what seemed to last longer... the Xanax or the Klonopin?

·
Registered
482 Posts
yes your university can belp you a fair bit if you give them the information they need....i have a note taker on monday mornings as it still my worst day really and if im not they, i ring in and the note taker stays in my class and takes notes and i get them the next time i see her... i also have expections for missing field trips, exams and that knd of stuff of course i dont just say i cant be bothered, its just a weight off my mind knowing if im really ill all i need is a doctors letter, which arent ahrd to get and only cost about £20, cheaper than resitting... of course its hard to keep grades up, impossible sometimes but sometimes knowing you survived is enough to be proud of

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my prof's notified of my condition and I was surprised at how accepting and helpful they were, mind you I go to a college with 1300 students so we are pretty close to are teachers. I also have been 'lucky' that my worst attacks come during the summer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My profs are NOT understanding. I'm a cs major. These guys think everything is cut and dry. I've told each one and they say "isn't there a pill you can take for that?" And they say "without a doctor's note each time, I can't excuse it." What am I supposed to do? See the doctor 5 times a week? I think not.Well, anyways, the school said that all I have to do is go to my main doctor (I'm going to go to the 3 I've tried out so there's no room for argument) and get a note signed saying that I can basically fill out my own attendance notes, and at that point all the profs have to know is that "I have some sort of disability." They don't have to know anything about my lower extremeties (which I find extremely embarassing).I go to a university with about 40,000 students... so I'm sure profs have heard every excuse in the book.So far I like your feedback (everyone). So far I think I need a note taker for my morning classes (worse in the morning) and another room to take tests in.Any other hints?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going into my third and final year of college. My ibs went from mild to severe while in school because of the stress. Fortunately, my teachers are very understanding. I dont keep it a secret from teachers or classmates. They all know the hell I go through on a daily basis (although crying in pain at my desk could have been a dead give away). I am able to write my tests and exams in disability if the teachers give me any problems. I think the stress of school plays a big part in my ibs. It is too bad that your prof's dont understand very much. It is people like those that really **** me off. If they had to walk one day in our shoes....well, I would just like to see them do it. Good luck to you this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All I can say is don't stress over it, and tell your professors. Believe it or not, they are people too and they do understand. IBS isn't as rare as people make it out to be. I have gone to and finished college, twice with the help of teachers and friends. A lot more people around you have it or are exposed to it. As long as you let them know, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so the university kicked me out.Here's something I find almost illegal:"Once you have pursued these steps you will be welcome to repetition; however, with your new petition you should include a letter from a healthcare professional stating that you are ready to resume full-time study."Is this even legal? How can that be? Basically, I had about 3 incompletes turn in to F's. I'm filling one of the incompletes now, and I talked to a professor, he's letting me make up the F. The way it was explained to me was that I needed 9 credits at a B average to get back in. I figure that I can get back in based on my grades, but no healthcare professional is going to sign something like that based on the severity of my ibs.What about Section 504? I go to a public college."Section 504 is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. Section 504 ensures that the child with a disability has equal access to an education. The child may receive accommodations and modifications.Unlike the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 does not require the school to provide an individualized educational program (IEP) that is designed to meet the child's unique needs and provides the child with educational benefit. Fewer procedural safeguards are available for disabled children and their parents under Section 504 than under IDEA."I'm really upset w/ my school, because two years ago I met w/ them and told them that I'm sick every day, and all they did was tell me how to drop classes, and when I finally broke down and asked if there was anything they could do (because my buddy at UCLA with Crohn's got the hookup - note taker, parking pass, etc) they finally started calling other departments and found me the Student Disability Services group.But it doesn't matter, I got kicked out before I got to use it.Ugh. Only have 17 credits left. The GPA thing is my fault (well, not really - it's the IBS and the fact the the school's health center would put me on medications like antidepressants and refuse to refill them for me - leaving me in withdrawal-hell). What should I do? I don't want to give up, but I highly doubt a doc is gonna sign off on that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just graduated with a BA in psychology in May. Now I'm back starting Tuesday for a post-bachlaurete(sp?)classes for teacher certification. I had a few years that my IBS was worse particularly freshman year, I suppose it was the fact that high school to college was a huge change. What I found helpful was to schedule my classes for times of day when I feel better. I have IBS-A but most times I'm D. I found that I feel worst in mornings until at least 10-11:00am, so I found that if I took classes after that time I was ok. I had some instances where my schedule didn't permit me to take later classes, if that were the case I just woke up super early and trick my body into thinking that the time of day were later. I also found that drinking something hot in the morning really helps. I always start my day off with tea. Lately I just drink Chamomile tea, but sometimes I'll have some kind of mint or green tea, they're all good for the digestive system. I eat something dry such as toast for breakfast and oatmeal is also good with my stomach.I went to small schools where they took attendance, I did have some classes that I missed alot. Usually the teacher would pull me aside once I was close or had passed the allowed limit and ask me what was up then I would just say I have bad chronic stomach problems so I'm sick alot. Most teachers accepted that and didn't want details of what my ailments were and for the few that need more info I gave them my doctors phone number. None of them ever checked that what I told them was true I think the fact I gave the doctors # was enough proof for them. It took me many years but I finally found a doctor who understands and suffers from it herself. She has put me on a few antidepressants and we've played around with them. We found that for me Lexapro and 300 mg Wellbutrin work for me. I have Klonopin for emergencies if I have a panic attack but they're rare now that the IBS is under control for the most part.I also found diets help, although I don't do this now I found low carb diets to really work and make me feel better. I avoid alot of fruits because they give me D. Other than that I eat normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had anorexia while I had ibs which sorta mucked things up, because I also got hooked on laxatives. groan. I still have an ed, and it's really, REALLY hard trying to recover from a condition that took my down to almost 70 something pounds...I found that I became phobic of EVERYTHING because I NEVER wanted to bloat up (I wound up with edema on top of ibs symptoms...yuck).Amazingly, true to my self-destructive and perfectionistic form, I forced myself to go to class NO MATTER WHAT. If I had to leave to run to the washroom 5 times, so be it. And I developed a phobia of solid foods, partly due to the anorexia, and lived off toilet paper (to quiet my stomach) and herbal tea. I don't want to get into how sick I got doing that ****...I wound up on an IV.Basically, I'm a semester late graduating, but that's it...and I'm very lucky, I guess, for that. Like I said, I forced myself to go to class when I was really ill. In second year, I vomited blood in microbio and didn't go home. DEF not recommending people abuse themselves to get through school...TAKE TIME and CARE FOR YOUR BODY. (hugs)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats, but I just can't do it man.I cannot sit in class when I'm in such terrible pain and exploding from the nether regions.Evidently this decision about the school kicking me out has inflamed my mom quite a bit. She called the Office of Civil Rights in Chicago. They were pissed when they heard, too_Oh yeah, did I mention, in 2003 I saw the Dean (of my own volition) because I was worried about IBS and grades. I gave her a doctor's note that said: "Mike suffers from irritable bowel syndrome. It can cause him to miss class."And she did nothing. Now all I get is the school telling me "I'm sorry she didn't do her job right", "Yeah that's not very fair", but they won't let me back in.I'm .03 away from being auto-readmitted. I have to spend even more money now because I'm sick.I hope karma does exist and that it comes back to these people.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Please update me on your situation...I'm very concerned for you, and I want things to work out.I know how frustrating it can be. Trust me. I'm in the SAME boatlike I mentioned above.Fortunately, im just in the 2nd year and I was able to get all my classes online.. but next semester.. if i have to go.. not only will i have a 45 minute drive, but i'll have to sit thru class. I don't think so. At that point, I would just assume NOT go to college, because it is too difficult for me to do it.. I mean I have a 3.4 so I've done alright, but thats because the last 2 semesters have been general studies and I can take them online, but when I start getting more into the "core" classes for my major, they aren't offered online..
I'm interested in what they do for you, as I might have to pursue a very similar course of action.

·
Registered
482 Posts
wow none of my courses are online i have to wlak 20mins to bus station then 45min bus ride no toilets or i risk failing as if i miss classes i have mitigating but i hav to have done some work to get my marks... =) hope all goes well for you.... get yourgp to write a note adn take in a copy of mollys brochure off the site

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
silentandsuffering: After my first year of college I had a 3.4. Then I had one good semester, which brought it down to a 3.2 (I suck at calculus..
)Then I started going down hill health-wise and gradewise (diarrhea sometimes up to 6 hours.. while I was on antidiarrheals, etc... side effects from other meds...) All C's, D's and F's for that semester. I had already been diagnosed by two different doctors as having severe IBS. I showed a doctor's note to the dean at this point. She did nothing except show me how to drop classes. One D and a bunch of W's for the next. (Still, magically in school) A bunch of incompletes and a C- for the next. Those 4 incompletes just turned into F's on me. It put me .03 under the safe allowed GPA. That should speak a little better of my GPA that 4 F's can put me .03 under.Since I showed the doctor's note and was denied even being told that the school could help me (note takers, etc.) I have racked up about 60 credits. That wasn't freakin' easy.Right now the Office of Civil Rights is on my side, but my college isn't. They even admit they screwed up... and that it wasn't right. But they aren't letting me back in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a meeting with the Dean of "Education" on Monday; my parents came down and bitched because they don't find it very fair, either.They were finally able to cut through the red-tape and the runaround the Univ. was giving me. The only one above the Dean of Education is the President of the University. When my parents were at Student Legal Services, they were told "Oh, the dean would LOVE to hear this. This doesn't sound right at all."My step dad (who I didn't expect to be on my side) said that "The university ****ed up big time here, there are no provisions about health in the Student handbook. There's spots about gayness/gender identity, but nothing about health. You might be the one that gets a department created."

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I met w/ the Dean today. He mentioned the word "lawsuit" a few times and looked at me. Like I might have a lawsuit against the school or something. Which isn't what I want, but if it comes to it, I'm going to sue the #### out of them for what they do to me. I'd rather this be resolved amicably though.I came armed w/ a transcript of what we talked about in 2003 (me and the Dean of my "school").
quote:Michael came in on an appointment basis to discuss his probation status. He brought in a doctor's statement to explain why he had missed many of his classes. (See confidential envelope in folder.) He asked if he could "wipe out" his last semester's grades: F, D, I, F, A+ and then he said that what he could do is retake the two F grades and FX for the sake of the transcript after he retakes them. It was decided that would be the best route for him to take.I gave him information from the Student Advocate Office and told him that if he should get ill and attendance become a problem that he should see the SAO during the semester about processing a withdrawal. He said that he did take the tests in all of the classes. He stated that he will re-sit the project for the Incomplete next spring. I told him that he should make arrangements with the instructor to find out when he is teaching it.His CGPA is 2.182 and his major GPA is 1.740 with a deficit of 4. I stressed to him the importance of designing a fall semester where he could produce a semester GPA of a 2.0 or better. We reviewed his fall enrollment. I gave him information about requesting MSAPRs and told him that he is welcome to make an appointment with me before the automatic W deadline and we would talk about adjusting his schedule if needed. He liked the idea about the MSAPRs and said that he would do that for a couple of classes whether he makes an appointment with me or not. He is not on the checklist and may register during CSR.
No help, and only wanted to talk about how to drop classes, not how to help me pass them.I REALLY feel violated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
angst-its hard--trust me i know!! i just graduated in may with ulcerative colitis!! the way i did it was for one--i informed all my professors with whom i had classes with and they understood(i was a biology major) and offered help as well. then, i made sure to take as light as load possible. it was tough yes, but i made it and i'm very proud of myself and so is my family!! don't worry, keep your head up!! talk with your disability office--they should be able to help!! best wishes!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.