Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I'm a college-aged girl suffering with IBS-C. I was diagnosed in my early teens, and have tried a variety of treatments and medications including MiraLAX (up to 3 capfuls per day, which caused uncontrollable diarrhea along with occasional bouts of extreme constipation), a few different antidepressants, and am now on Amitiza and Prozac and taking 3 Ex-Lax per day, as well as 2 Culturelle capsules per day. I suffer from extreme bloating, constipation, and cramping (especially when taking Ex-Lax), and now a rectal prolapse, but nothing seems to be helping make my life more manageable. I am reaching out to an online community for the first time to ask if anyone has ANY tips, ideas, or advice for making life with IBS less of a nightmare. I am currently trying to cut out a lot of dairy like ice cream, milk, and yogurt from my diet, as I noticed it caused some bloating, but I am still having trouble coping with the unpredictability of this disorder and the grief it is causing me. I have been a lifelong runner...is this helping or hurting my condition? Is there any type of exercise that would help? Is there any medications any of you out there take that you can consistently rely on to help you have a complete BM daily? I would greatly appreciate any help, as I feel very alone and desperate for an answer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi liv4290,

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles.

Although I have been dealing with this just a couple of months, what I found works for me is a combination of Movicol (Miralax) 1 satchet every 10-12 hours along with an anti-spasmodic for pain relief occasionally on an as needed basis; 20-30 mins before a meal with no more than 3 tablets per day.

Two antispasmodics that I found most effective are Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) and Colofac (mebeverine hydrocholoride).

Other than that I try to eat normally with my family; with dinner being at least 3 hours before bed time - I find it best to keep your body used to a balanced diet.

I might add Isphagula husk (Fybogel) to the mix soon to see if it improves things - it is quite effective for normal grade constipation but can't say for sure to what degree it will help with IBS-C or CIC.

That being said, we are all different & I do get good days and not so good ones too.

I hope this helps you & please check with your doctor before taking any new medications or making any changes to your routine intake.

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
so sorry for all your problems. living with chronic constipation can be miserable.

i do hope you have a good gastroenterologist who is helping you with all this. there are a couple other constipation meds available if you don't feel that amitiza is working too well--linzess and trulance.

both running and walking are good exercises for C. they help keep the digestive tract moving.

i suffered from chronic constipation due to colonic inertia ( and other problems) from childhood. because nothing else worked for me, my gastro doc had me on a combination of dulcolax and milk of magnesia and i usually had good results with that. you have to take those two at least an hour apart or you'll get cramping. a lot of people on here get good results from taking Dr Schultz intestinal formula #1. if you can't find it in stores you can buy it from amazon or from their website. a lot of people here say it really works.

i'm so sorry you have a rectal prolapse. that makes it even harder to go. is your doc suggesting any type of surgery for it?

about the bloating--have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine bacterial overgrowth? symptoms of sibo include constipation and extreme bloating.

http://www.siboinfo.com/

you might want to check out this thread for suggestions for dealing with C:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/152106-the-great-list-of-remedies/

good luck with everything. i do hope you can find some relief. take care.

Reactions: liv4290

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Liv4290,

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles.
Although I have been dealing with this just a couple of months, what I found works for me is a combination of Movicol (Miralax) 1 satchet every 10-12 hours along with an anti-spasmodic for pain relief occasionally on an as needed basis; 20-30 mins before a meal with no more than 3 tablets per day.

Two antispasmodics that I found most effective are Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) and Colofac (mebeverine hydrocholoride).

Other than that I try to eat normally with my family; with dinner being at least 3 hours before bed time - I find it best to keep your body used to a balanced diet.

I might add Isphagula husk (Fybogel) to the mix soon to see if it improves things - it is quite effective for normal grade constipation but can't say for sure to what degree it will help with IBS-C or CIC.

That being said, we are all different & I do get good days and not so good ones too.

I hope this helps you & please check with your doctor before taking any new medications or making any changes to your routine intake.
Thank you for your help, I will check out the Isphagula husk!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so sorry for all your problems. living with chronic constipation can be miserable.

i do hope you have a good gastroenterologist who is helping you with all this. there are a couple other constipation meds available if you don't feel that amitiza is working too well--linzess and trulance.

both running and walking are good exercises for C. they help keep the digestive tract moving.

i suffered from chronic constipation due to colonic inertia ( and other problems) from childhood. because nothing else worked for me, my gastro doc had me on a combination of dulcolax and milk of magnesia and i usually had good results with that. you have to take those two at least an hour apart or you'll get cramping. a lot of people on here get good results from taking Dr Schultz intestinal formula #1. if you can't find it in stores you can buy it from amazon or from their website. a lot of people here say it really works.

i'm so sorry you have a rectal prolapse. that makes it even harder to go. is your doc suggesting any type of surgery for it?

about the bloating--have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine bacterial overgrowth? symptoms of sibo include constipation and extreme bloating.

http://www.siboinfo.com/

you might want to check out this thread for suggestions for dealing with C:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/152106-the-great-list-of-remedies/

good luck with everything. i do hope you can find some relief. take care.
Annie7,

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into getting a SIBO test done and checking out the Dr. Shultz Intestinal Formula #1. As of now, my doctor is not recommending surgery for my prolapse. I will also try the milk of magnesia and see if I can get any results with that. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Annie7, Flossy,

I see folks recommending Dr Schultz intestinal formula #1 on here - yourself included. Is this FDA approved?

I mean the internet is full of herbal products & seems it is quite tricky to differentiate between one that is useless & one that actually works -

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Annie7, Flossy,

I see folks recommending Dr Schultz intestinal formula #1 on here - yourself included. Is this FDA approved?

I mean the internet is full of herbal products & seems it is quite tricky to differentiate between one that is useless & one that actually works -
Short answer is no - herbal products & supplements are not test/approved/whatnot by the FDA here in America.

I wouldn't recommend something to you that is useless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.