Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Occasionally you find someone here who finds any of the assorted "colon cleansing" routines helps them (whether it is colon hydrotherapy, massive doses of fiber, or massive doses of purgative herbs...depending on which proticol you are looking at).The people who promote all these things will always tell you it cures IBS, as they tend to promote these colon cleansings as able to cure every single ill every human ever had
Some of these things may also cause some IBSers any world of problems as they won't tolerate the treatment well.The colon is self-cleaning and doesn't need serious intervention to remove anything from it. It does a good job of that all on it's own.K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have extensive experience with this (fortunately or unfortunately).about 10 years ago (in my mid-20's) I began to have severe constipation. At the age of 29 I presented with lower right quadrant pain. The doctor determined that it was not appendicitis (after nasty tests) and that I was VERY constipated (duh). Turns out that 30 grams of fiber daily just wasn't doing it for me. After trying everything under the sun I stumbled upon a product called "colon cleanse" with senna in it. The first day I used it I felt like I was eliminating things I hadn't even eaten yet. I felt great. I then used about two pills per day for over a year. This helped the constipation. When I was 31 I was finally diagnosed with IBS after a colonoscopy ruled out Crohn's disease and cancer. After the colonoscopy and with a completely food-free colon I decided I no longer want to rely on Colon Cleanse. I just didn't think it was a good idea - although my doc knew what I was taking and how often and was not bothered by it.Now, I eat scandanavian crisp bread every day and use Colon Cleanse only when things seem backed up. Usually one day of taking it (you have to take about 8 pills throughout the day) sort of "resets" my colon. It'a almost like there's a glitch in there - maybe an allergic reaction or some other kind of fussiness to the food that I ate that day - and the colon cleanse just gets it to slide out and start over again. Importantly the colon cleanse products CURE NOTHING. But on occassion I personally find the product helps me with symptoms. I use it a maximum of twice per month and in most months don't use it at all.I am not selling anything and I have no connection with any of these prouducts. This is just my story. Hope it helps you decide.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The senna based ones are nothing other than Ex-lax or other senna based over the counter laxatives in sometimes more attactive, and often expensive packaging.Limiting herbal stimulatory laxatives to once or twice a month is a good idea because there is concern that constant daily use, especially if you get into the trap of upping the dose over and over could make your colon unable to function without them.Various "cleansers" are different things and how a particular product will work depends on lot on whether it is just a lot of fiber, herbal purgative laxatives (senna and Cascara, which are what most OTC "what people think are drugs" laxatives are made of) or osmotic agents (either orally or water up the back end)None of them cure anything. But most of them will cause you to poop, usually a lot (unless you take a high fiber one and your colon muscles are shot...slow-transit constipation...as you can't move anything to start with and filling yourself up for days/weeks at a time is uncomfortable).K.K.

·
Registered
410 Posts
For temporary constipation, hard, small stool movements, would you or would you not recommend an OTC colon cleanse to get things mcing?Should I go to CVS and buy one, and is that likely to achieve the desired results, and if sone so occasionally, once a month, is this a good step? Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kathleen- I am the one you are talking about with the colon muscles being shot!
The ONLY thing that will stimulate my bowels is a gallon of GOLYTELY colon prep (what you take before a colonoscopy test) It really gets it all out though. I have had severe constipation my whole life so I have always relied on medicine to make me go because if I dont I will be impacted & in ALOT of pain!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
VOL I'd go for the cheaper stuff and not spend big buck on fancy colon cleansers that often mix together a bunch of products, or are just expensive versions of psyllium fiber, senna or other herbal laxative or magnesium oxide/milk of magnesia, sometimes in combination.Get the regular old stuff that is one product whichever one is in the range of time you want it to work. (see the constipation thread where I spelled it out for you)But if you want to spend $15-$75 rather than $5 or less go right aheadK.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
mandabell25 Some people really do have serious colon doesn't work problems. Most constipated people are not anywhere near that far gone.It may be worth talking to someone about the idea of getting part of the colon removed to shorten it up so that as that can for some people do some good. However any surgery can cause complications, so that is usually last resort.Have they tested you to make sure you can defecate properly, and all like that. Some people's pelvic floor doesn't relax right and that can cause some serious backed up/impacted issues.K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is this also include products that make taking fiber easier?I don't have constipation ,my major problem is execessive gas and feeling unevacuate after bowl movements,my doctor (after several medication that didn't work)suggested me this product.it is called benefibra and it contains :pHGG:sorbitol,maltitol,potassium sorbate,citric acid monohydrate ,sodium benzoate,Acesulfame k.I am not sure if it is helping me or not,but at least I hope it doesn't make any harm?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kath- I have talked about the partial colectomy surgery with my doc, but I dont want to trade one problem in for another (constipation for diarrhea)! BUT, I think I would feel better using the loo 10 times a day versus once a month and still not feeling like I am getting it all out. SO I am contemplating it. Thanks for all your advice! Happy Holidays!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.