Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the web looking at different articles and products regarding "Colon Cleansing". Some say it's healty and others say it is not.Have you ever used a colon cleanser? WIll it react wtih my medications (Zoloft, Bentyl)?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alot depends on what exactly is in the "colon cleanser".If it is a fiber only product then there may not be any problem with the drugs you are on. But if fiber makes your IBS worse than this fiber would be no different than any other. If it has heavy-duty herbal laxatives (the herbal stimulatory laxatives are just as harsh as the chemical ones used to be...in the US most of the chemical ones are off the market and Ex-lax and all those things are all Senna-based) and those laxatives cause you severe diarrhea you may not completly absorb the drug if it gets washed out of your system to fast. But I don't knw of any other specific interactions between the herbs some of these contain and any particular medications.You colon is self cleaning, so doesn't really need to be cleansed of anything (although the thought of poop sitting in there for as long as it does makes alot of people feel the need to clean). The cells lining the colon are shed just like your skin is so even if they get loaded up with crud somehow in a couple of days they are on their way to the waste-water treatment plant. You can't get the layer of crud some say you have (that has never been seen in any colonoscopy) or all those cells would never get out of your body and that would probably kill you sooner or later from having the outer wall of the intestines finally give way from constant expansion outward or from an obstruction as the cells sloughing off finally pushed the crud layer into the middle. K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alot depends on what exactly is in the "colon cleanser".If it is a fiber only product then there may not be any problem with the drugs you are on. But if fiber makes your IBS worse than this fiber would be no different than any other. If it has heavy-duty herbal laxatives (the herbal stimulatory laxatives are just as harsh as the chemical ones used to be...in the US most of the chemical ones are off the market and Ex-lax and all those things are all Senna-based) and those laxatives cause you severe diarrhea you may not completly absorb the drug if it gets washed out of your system to fast. But I don't knw of any other specific interactions between the herbs some of these contain and any particular medications.You colon is self cleaning, so doesn't really need to be cleansed of anything (although the thought of poop sitting in there for as long as it does makes alot of people feel the need to clean). The cells lining the colon are shed just like your skin is so even if they get loaded up with crud somehow in a couple of days they are on their way to the waste-water treatment plant. You can't get the layer of crud some say you have (that has never been seen in any colonoscopy) or all those cells would never get out of your body and that would probably kill you sooner or later from having the outer wall of the intestines finally give way from constant expansion outward or from an obstruction as the cells sloughing off finally pushed the crud layer into the middle. K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.