Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am 36 and have been having terrible trouble with C for the last 7 months. I had a colonoscopy several weeks ago and they found a polyp. It could not be removed trough the procedure so I am sceduled for surgery on the 17th. The polyp itself is bigger than they would like but looks healthy. The base of the polyp is the thing of concern - it is a broad base - because of this fact it was not able to be removed during the colonoscopy. My surgeon wants to remove it through laproscopy - she will remove a portion of my colon not just the polyp. She wants to remove what she would remove if the polyp were cancerous so that if the tests come back with a bad report she will not have to go back in. She says that this is very unusual to have to do but thinks that it may help my C as well. I have too much colon so I have some to spare.
I have - since the test - really increased my fiber intake and I am going fine but have pain when I do go from hemmies - I assume - there may also be some sort of pelvic floor disfunction too - - Does anyone know if the polyp can cause pain??Also has anyone here had to have surgery to remove a polyp??Pam

·
Registered
378 Posts
fourstars I had I think two polyps removed by colonscopy in 1991. In 96 or 97 I had barrium enema which did not indicate that the polyps came back.I have lower back pain, I do not know if it is a pelvic floor dysfunction.Insouluble fibre like GNC colon care will send me into extreme pain.The best is the calcium/magnesium supplements.There is no differance pain wise after I got my polyps removed. however calcium supplements reduce the pain significantly.startch containing food will magnify the pain, and elemenating startch, gluten, dairy, refined shugar (fruits are ok in moderate ammonts in my case) will reduce the back pain to a bairable situation.I hope that you will do better

·
Registered
378 Posts
fourstars I had I think two polyps removed by colonscopy in 1991. In 96 or 97 I had barrium enema which did not indicate that the polyps came back.I have lower back pain, I do not know if it is a pelvic floor dysfunction.Insouluble fibre like GNC colon care will send me into extreme pain.The best is the calcium/magnesium supplements.There is no differance pain wise after I got my polyps removed. however calcium supplements reduce the pain significantly.startch containing food will magnify the pain, and elemenating startch, gluten, dairy, refined shugar (fruits are ok in moderate ammonts in my case) will reduce the back pain to a bairable situation.I hope that you will do better

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I also had a colonoscopy last year and they found a polyp that they couldn't remove. I had to go back a few weeks later, to a surgeon, who removed the polyp in out-patient surgery. I did not have to have part of the colon removed, I guess it was a separate surgery because of the size and the location. I had had a lot of bleeding and pain and D, and thought I had hemms, but it actually was from the polyp. Once the polyp was removed I felt a whole lot better. Apparently polyps can cause pain and bleeding etc. but not always, it sure did in my case. Good luck with the surgery. Did you get a second opinion? Did both dr.s say to remove part of the colon? I have no idea if that makes things more complicated or not, I would look into it and get a second opinion if you haven't already. Whatever you do, good luck to you, I hope you feel much better. By the way, they say that fiber and calcium helps prevent polyps from returning, so I would give that a try too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I also had a colonoscopy last year and they found a polyp that they couldn't remove. I had to go back a few weeks later, to a surgeon, who removed the polyp in out-patient surgery. I did not have to have part of the colon removed, I guess it was a separate surgery because of the size and the location. I had had a lot of bleeding and pain and D, and thought I had hemms, but it actually was from the polyp. Once the polyp was removed I felt a whole lot better. Apparently polyps can cause pain and bleeding etc. but not always, it sure did in my case. Good luck with the surgery. Did you get a second opinion? Did both dr.s say to remove part of the colon? I have no idea if that makes things more complicated or not, I would look into it and get a second opinion if you haven't already. Whatever you do, good luck to you, I hope you feel much better. By the way, they say that fiber and calcium helps prevent polyps from returning, so I would give that a try too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Pam,My husband (aged 39) had 18 inches of his lower left colon removed 18 months ago due to the presence of 12 polyps - one of them was as big as a man's thumb apparently. He says he was fine, no digestive symptoms, until we had a bout of D in the family, probably infectious. His D just went on and on and he had some bleeding, as well as pain in the lower left. The D did go away after 4 weeks or so but the pain stayed.He went for a colonoscopy and that doctor recommended having his entire colon removed due to the cancer risk. When they biopsy the polyps they only take a little piece of the surface and have no way of knowing whethter there are cancer cells under the surface - I guess with large polyps this is a stronger possibility. The surgeon that we saw was not keen but did offer the option of having a " left hemi-colectomy" which is what we did. He was able to do it laparoscopically, which is good, apparently it can cut the recovery time by up to half and lowers the risk of adhesions forming. My husband was in hospital for six days and off work for a further four weeks. No lifting.I enquire every now and then and he says he has no pain, no D and no problems. Although I reckon he's more flatulent now than he was before the surgery
. He's just had a follow-up colonoscopy and had six polyps removed. Gee, I'd love to know what else to do to prevent them forming. We eat so much broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables! I'll have to research the calcium thing.Good luck to you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Pam,My husband (aged 39) had 18 inches of his lower left colon removed 18 months ago due to the presence of 12 polyps - one of them was as big as a man's thumb apparently. He says he was fine, no digestive symptoms, until we had a bout of D in the family, probably infectious. His D just went on and on and he had some bleeding, as well as pain in the lower left. The D did go away after 4 weeks or so but the pain stayed.He went for a colonoscopy and that doctor recommended having his entire colon removed due to the cancer risk. When they biopsy the polyps they only take a little piece of the surface and have no way of knowing whethter there are cancer cells under the surface - I guess with large polyps this is a stronger possibility. The surgeon that we saw was not keen but did offer the option of having a " left hemi-colectomy" which is what we did. He was able to do it laparoscopically, which is good, apparently it can cut the recovery time by up to half and lowers the risk of adhesions forming. My husband was in hospital for six days and off work for a further four weeks. No lifting.I enquire every now and then and he says he has no pain, no D and no problems. Although I reckon he's more flatulent now than he was before the surgery
. He's just had a follow-up colonoscopy and had six polyps removed. Gee, I'd love to know what else to do to prevent them forming. We eat so much broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables! I'll have to research the calcium thing.Good luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.