Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS for about 1 1/2 yrs. now. I've been to several doctors but to no success. My last resort was a natural pathic doctor. I was skeptic at first, but had nothing to loose. It was the best relief I ever had. I don't know what I would have done without it.. Hospital maybe. It is called hydrotherapy, AKA. Colonics. It's a colon treatment, using water to fill up the colon from a tube, then released, several times. This releases gases and constipation crap�.. I leave feeling like a new person. Lighter and happier. In my IBS C condition I usually do this monthly. I found it to be a great help, more as a maintenance type program. My Medical Doctor agrees with me that it can't hurt you. My sister-in-law also does this and loves it. Any thoughts or comments appreciated it

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
A colonic irrigation involves flushing the colon with huge volumes of water. Usually, it is performed by someone who routinely does this procedure. Basically, the patient lies stomach-side down on a table and the practitioner passes a tube into the rectum. This tube is connected to a tap water feed and water is allowed to pass into the colon for about 45 minutes to an hour. During this time, the anus is allowed to drain feces. The primary principle motivating this therapy is that stool becomes "stuck" in the colon and this buildup of stool causes the buildup of toxins, which can make one sick. In fact, advocates of this procedure may claim that they have found mother�s breast milk or even a child�s nails (from nailbiting in childhood) in the colon of an adult!These claims are without merit. Normally, the digestive system does not tolerate such a buildup of stool ( ). It prevents this by employing a housekeeping activity known as the migrating motor complex, or MMC for short. Every day a wave of peristalsis sweeps over the entire length of the digestive tract, moving material along. Of course, it is possible that the MMC is not working right. The result is a slowing of movement in the GI tract, known as stasis, which can lead to bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. However, colonic irrigations do not reach the small bowel. Finally, toxins, such as ammonia, are not allowed to buildup in the digestive tract. Whether one is constipated or not, there is a continual supply of new material entering the colon. So old or new, toxins must continually be processed by the liver. They buildup only if there is a problem with liver function, as in he-patic encephalopathy ( ). In addition to the illogical basis for colonic irrigations, there are potential dangers. First, putting a large volume of water in the intestine can lower the osmotic potential in the lumen forcing important minerals, such as potassium, to leak out of the body, resulting in an electrolyte abnormality. Further, it is possible to damage the rectum when placing the speculum (the tip of the tube that enters the rectum) causing a rectal prolapse or other damage to the rectum ( ). Finally, if the instruments used are not sterile, the patient might develop an infection with a dangerous pathogen ( ).

·
Registered
327 Posts
I absolutly agree with Flux this time!! We are being bombarded with the latest phase in high colonic therapy! This has all gone round before...every decade or so it goes around. The colon can take care of itself...it's made to do that. this constant washing out can be dangerous at the worst and unnecessary at the least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by flux:A colonic irrigation involves flushing the colon with huge volumes of water. Usually, it is performed by someone who routinely does this procedure. Basically, the patient lies stomach-side down on a table and the practitioner passes a tube into the rectum. This tube is connected to a tap water feed and water is allowed to pass into the colon for about 45 minutes to an hour. During this time, the anus is allowed to drain feces. The primary principle motivating this therapy is that stool becomes "stuck" in the colon and this buildup of stool causes the buildup of toxins, which can make one sick. In fact, advocates of this procedure may claim that they have found mother�s breast milk or even a child�s nails (from nailbiting in childhood) in the colon of an adult!These claims are without merit. Normally, the digestive system does not tolerate such a buildup of stool ( ). It prevents this by employing a housekeeping activity known as the migrating motor complex, or MMC for short. Every day a wave of peristalsis sweeps over the entire length of the digestive tract, moving material along. Of course, it is possible that the MMC is not working right. The result is a slowing of movement in the GI tract, known as stasis, which can lead to bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. However, colonic irrigations do not reach the small bowel. Finally, toxins, such as ammonia, are not allowed to buildup in the digestive tract. Whether one is constipated or not, there is a continual supply of new material entering the colon. So old or new, toxins must continually be processed by the liver. They buildup only if there is a problem with liver function, as in he-patic encephalopathy ( ). In addition to the illogical basis for colonic irrigations, there are potential dangers. First, putting a large volume of water in the intestine can lower the osmotic potential in the lumen forcing important minerals, such as potassium, to leak out of the body, resulting in an electrolyte abnormality. Further, it is possible to damage the rectum when placing the speculum (the tip of the tube that enters the rectum) causing a rectal prolapse or other damage to the rectum ( ). Finally, if the instruments used are not sterile, the patient might develop an infection with a dangerous pathogen ( ).
Flux: First off you're obviously not adequately educated in this area!!! Colonics have been around since ancient times and is not a fad or phase. 1. You do not lie on your stomach. You are in a very comfortable position on your back with your knees up and a blanket covering you. The doctor needs to listen to your stomach and massage sometimes during the process. 2. They don't use huge volumes of water in colonics. It goes in a very slow rate. The temperature of the water and amount of pressure is completely controlled.3. The statement about mother's milk and nails in the colon are absurd. This sounds like scare tactics to me. 4. Why do you state "These claims go without merit", obviously these claims are without merit because they are fabicated and don't exist. They are absurd.5. As far as your statement "Illogical basis for colonics", is your perception based on what???? Not facts. Its just your statement made with no basis. "illogical basis"????6. This statement "First, putting a large volume of water in the intestine can lower the osmotic potential in the lumen forcing important minerals, such as potassium, to leak out of the body, resulting in an electrolyte abnormality." This is a fallacy and is not true. 7. This statement is ludicrous. No kinda funny. "Further, it is possible to damage the rectum when placing the speculum (the tip of the tube that enters the rectum) causing a rectal prolapse or other damage to the rectum ( ). Wouldn't you say it is just based on the quality of the practitioner who performs the procedure!!! Beware of lions, tigers and bears oh my... 8. Hello!!! This statement is just plain stupid. "Finally, if the instruments used are not sterile, the patient might develop an infection with a dangerous pathogen.Who's to say thier not sterile, repeat not sterile, hello!!!! Can this be found in open-heart surgery? Once again it's the quality of the practitioner "Doctor"My Doctor uses only sterile instruments..... 9. If the American Natural Pathic Medical Association knew of tap water being used, it would be cause for absolute malpractice. Only filtered water is used.10. It is a completely controlled and safe Procedure. My doctor uses brand new equipment everytime. I see the new bag being torn everytime.11. In my opinion you can go to a disqualified person in any field and have a bad experience. I've been incredibly lucky to have found an expert in this field of colonics.Finally I would just like to say that colonics may not be a cure all and not for everyone. All I know is that the quality of my life is enhanced because I had an open mind to try anything that could give me Ho_pe. Please everyone keep an open mind.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Most of the above qualifies as
quote:Colonics have been around since ancient times and is not a fad or phase.
Don't know how long they have been around, but they were fad back in days of Kellogg (the cereal guy) and are once again now.
quote:The doctor needs to listen to your stomach and massage sometimes during the process.
Doctors don't generally do the procedure. Usually it's chiropractors or naturopaths, neither of whom are doctors.
quote:3. The statement about mother's milk and nails in the colon are absurd. This sounds like scare tactics to me.
This is the rationale stated by proponents of the procedure. See some descriptions on the web.. http://www.homecolonics.com/myresul2.htm http://colonhealth.net/colon_hydrotherapy/ct_prblm.htm http://www.steppenstones.com/greenfoods/ce...olemaboardf.htm http://www.thecolonet.com/benefits.html http://www.o3zone.com/ozoneser/pat/colonic2.htm http://www.mforum.com/eroticstories/storie...ENEMAFUN55.html These correctly termed scare tactics is exactly what the alternative medical vulture culture uses to lure their prey.
quote:4. Why do you state "These claims go without merit", obviously these claims are without merit because they are fabicated and don't exist. They are absurd.
See above.
quote:5. As far as your statement "Illogical basis for colonics", is your perception based on what???? Not facts. Its just your statement made with no basis. "illogical basis"????
Based on our knowlege of colonic physiology.
quote: 6. This statement "First, putting a large volume of water in the intestine can lower the osmotic potential in the lumen forcing important minerals, such as potassium, to leak out of the body, resulting in an electrolyte abnormality." This is a fallacy and is not true.
Of course, it is correct. Look up diffusion and osmosis in a standard textbook of biochemistry.
quote:7. This statement is ludicrous. No kinda funny. "Further, it is possible to damage the rectum when placing the speculum (the tip of the tube that enters the rectum) causing a rectal prolapse or other damage to the rectum ( ).
This is, in fact, a common occurrence. Many people have had to have surgery to correct the damage done by improperly done colonics. Colonics are popular among Hollywood actors. Anyone know an actors/actresses who have their insides torn apart?
quote:8. Hello!!! This statement is just plain stupid. "Finally, if the instruments used are not sterile, the patient might develop an infection with a dangerous pathogen. Who's to say thier not sterile, repeat not sterile, hello!!!! Can this be found in open-heart surgery? Once again it's the quality of
You mean if a person is deceived into getting one of these things done and happens to be the butt (no pun intended) of a non-sterile instrument and then gets hepatitis, that situation is stupid. Yep, I could agree with that.
quote:9. If the American Natural Pathic Medical Association knew of tap water being used, it would be cause for absolute malpractice. Only filtered water is used.
Sometimes, it's not only tap water, but other things like coffee.
quote:10. It is a completely controlled and safe Procedure. My doctor uses brand new equipment everytime. I see the new bag being torn everytime.
Some states do have requirements to protect patients from harm. However, this doesn't 1) make the irrationality of the procedure any less irrational nor 2) does it help the patient (because it's a useless procedure to begin with).
quote:I've been incredibly lucky to have found an expert in this field of colonics.
You mean a
quote:please everyone keep an open mind.
Perhaps we should start doing them on the brain of the practitioners who perform this thing.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 04-27-2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.