Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you will probably have lots to say to me good and bad, but here goes.Has anyone had any experience with Colonics for their IBS, good or bad ? As a nurse, I realise the risks of "non-mainstream" medicinal practices, and also the risk of many traditional practices. Someone the other day told me that they had a good experience with them, so I was curious. Desprate times call for desprate measures.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Count me in as opposed. Good post Museam.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Count me in as opposed. Good post Museam.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out that website, and I see the point they are trying to make, but I also keep in mine that Traditional Western medicine often poo-poohs things not taught in Medical School. My take on it personally, is that it may be the person is actually in need of a psychologial cleansing or purging and might find the Colonic the way to go. I myself think that it would be dangerous to have a liquid instilled under pressure. As far as it appealing to gay men as the article alluded to, I think thats a bit homophobic & prejudiced.I also think that with the amount of "D" that I have, there could not possibly be anything left in there to clean out.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out that website, and I see the point they are trying to make, but I also keep in mine that Traditional Western medicine often poo-poohs things not taught in Medical School. My take on it personally, is that it may be the person is actually in need of a psychologial cleansing or purging and might find the Colonic the way to go. I myself think that it would be dangerous to have a liquid instilled under pressure. As far as it appealing to gay men as the article alluded to, I think thats a bit homophobic & prejudiced.I also think that with the amount of "D" that I have, there could not possibly be anything left in there to clean out.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the biological thought behind them aren't that valid, so I dunno if there is any benefit to be had (other than psychological like you mentioned)My main concerns are:Is the equipment sterile?The colon can perforate when you do these things and you usually aren't at the hospital where they can get you to the ER immediately.You may muck up the colonic flora in unpredictable and not always beneficial ways.IBSers often tolerate much much less pressure in the rectum that others so it could set of some really painful spasming that may take hours to days to settle down.I know my sigmoid which is MUCH less time than a colonic made me much achier and spasmier (is that a word
) than usual for about 3-4 days.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the biological thought behind them aren't that valid, so I dunno if there is any benefit to be had (other than psychological like you mentioned)My main concerns are:Is the equipment sterile?The colon can perforate when you do these things and you usually aren't at the hospital where they can get you to the ER immediately.You may muck up the colonic flora in unpredictable and not always beneficial ways.IBSers often tolerate much much less pressure in the rectum that others so it could set of some really painful spasming that may take hours to days to settle down.I know my sigmoid which is MUCH less time than a colonic made me much achier and spasmier (is that a word
) than usual for about 3-4 days.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Desprate times call for desprate measures
What do you think is wrong that you need one? What do you think it will do?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Desprate times call for desprate measures
What do you think is wrong that you need one? What do you think it will do?------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.