Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opted for the Visicol prep. I had read that it was a bit uncomfortable swallowing these HORSE pills. A large vitamin was all they were. No taste and only one glass of water with each 3-4 pills every 15 minutes. I do not think it could have been any easier. Never would I suggest that anyone drink anything when the pills are available. 20 pills at 5pm and then 20 at 10pm. The only tricky part was that they did not kick-in until 2:30AM! So did not sleep all that great but the cleansing was very very mild, no real cramping and no pain at all! Hell, I could do that twice a week if I had to.The part that needs tweaking because of this delay in the cleansing was that I was no way leaving the house at 7:30 AM for a 9:00 AM colonoscopy. (I was still cleansing at 7.00AM) So, if anyone is going to opt for the pills make sure you discuss with your doctor and adjust your timing.Another tweaking would be to ask if you can take an Imodium once you are passing only water. The active ingredient in Visicol will continue (not sure how long it actually stays in the body) to draw water into the large intestines even though your tract is empty. Taking the Imodium made it much easier getting to the doctor�s office.As far as the actual procedure ... all I remember or felt was the IV prick ... counting back from 100 to 97 and then being woken-up! No pain, no soreness. Results of the test are great, just waiting for biopsy results.I was a bit nervous about the whole thing, but now feel like it could not have been better.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is perfect timing for me! I start the Visicol tomorrow for my Thurs. colonoscopy! I'm glad to hear such good things about it although I was hoping for small little pills. Big ones tend to stick in my throat if I don't swallow them straight.The only thing is I stopped at the pharmacy to get them today and because they're so new no one has them in stock! They ordered them and they're suppose to be in around 3pm tomorrow. I have to start them at 6pm so I hope they make it! Then the instructions say to take 20 more the day of test at least 4 hours before. Will that allow enough time you think?I don't look forward to any of this but reading your post really helps. The worst part for me is always getting the IV since I have a needle phobia and they always seem to miss my vein. Thanks for posting!------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is perfect timing for me! I start the Visicol tomorrow for my Thurs. colonoscopy! I'm glad to hear such good things about it although I was hoping for small little pills. Big ones tend to stick in my throat if I don't swallow them straight.The only thing is I stopped at the pharmacy to get them today and because they're so new no one has them in stock! They ordered them and they're suppose to be in around 3pm tomorrow. I have to start them at 6pm so I hope they make it! Then the instructions say to take 20 more the day of test at least 4 hours before. Will that allow enough time you think?I don't look forward to any of this but reading your post really helps. The worst part for me is always getting the IV since I have a needle phobia and they always seem to miss my vein. Thanks for posting!------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CatherineI also heard that not all drug stores are carrying it yet. Maybe you should call around and see if any other local stores have it just in case.I think you should talk to your doctor about the timing of the pills and mention to him some of the stories you are reading and let him make the call.I failed to mention that my GI who I just went to told me that he took the pills for a colonoscop just 2 weeks ago and had the same delayed effect.I imagine that it effects people in different ways, but the maufacture's instructions says that it should induce D within 3-5 hours.My wife is also deathly scared of needles, but what's a small pin prick ... the rest of it was a total breeze ... I don't remember anything.Good Luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey CatherineI also heard that not all drug stores are carrying it yet. Maybe you should call around and see if any other local stores have it just in case.I think you should talk to your doctor about the timing of the pills and mention to him some of the stories you are reading and let him make the call.I failed to mention that my GI who I just went to told me that he took the pills for a colonoscop just 2 weeks ago and had the same delayed effect.I imagine that it effects people in different ways, but the maufacture's instructions says that it should induce D within 3-5 hours.My wife is also deathly scared of needles, but what's a small pin prick ... the rest of it was a total breeze ... I don't remember anything.Good Luck

G

·
Thanks for the information. I'll be getting a colonoscopy later this year and would like to know how to time the tablets so I can make the one-hour drive to the doctor. Please let usknow how this can be done, will you? Thanks very much.

G

·
Thanks for the information. I'll be getting a colonoscopy later this year and would like to know how to time the tablets so I can make the one-hour drive to the doctor. Please let usknow how this can be done, will you? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I called my doctor this morning and was able to get the last free sample bottle of Visicol! I have the pharmacy instructions and they are: The evening before the procedure, 3 tablets should be taken with at least 8 ozs. of clear liquids every 15 min. for a total of 20 tablets. The day of the procedure, (starting 3-5 hours before) 3 tablets should be taken, etc, for a total of 20 tablets.Since I have to be at the hospital around noon I think I'll take the second dose around 6am and see how that goes.I'm surprised they had you take both doses in the same evening. I am sooooo hungry! Fasting is really hard!------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I called my doctor this morning and was able to get the last free sample bottle of Visicol! I have the pharmacy instructions and they are: The evening before the procedure, 3 tablets should be taken with at least 8 ozs. of clear liquids every 15 min. for a total of 20 tablets. The day of the procedure, (starting 3-5 hours before) 3 tablets should be taken, etc, for a total of 20 tablets.Since I have to be at the hospital around noon I think I'll take the second dose around 6am and see how that goes.I'm surprised they had you take both doses in the same evening. I am sooooo hungry! Fasting is really hard!------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

G

·
If you take 3 tablets and a glass of water every 15 minutes until you've consumed 20 tablets, with water each time, that's still a lot of water to drink. 5 or 6 glasses, right?

G

·
If you take 3 tablets and a glass of water every 15 minutes until you've consumed 20 tablets, with water each time, that's still a lot of water to drink. 5 or 6 glasses, right?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, that's still a lot of water but that's so you don't become dehydrated after taking the pills. They suck a bunch of water from your body into your intestines. It's still better than drinking a gallon of the yukky tasting stuff I would think!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, that's still a lot of water but that's so you don't become dehydrated after taking the pills. They suck a bunch of water from your body into your intestines. It's still better than drinking a gallon of the yukky tasting stuff I would think!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.