Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question - I am due for a colonoscopy at the end of June and I am likely to have my period (which can be pretty heavy) at that time. Is this still doable?? I normally do not wear tampons as they do not last for me but I will if I have to. Anyone experience this additional unplesantry?? Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same conflict. I changed my date for the procedure. I am sure it is doable but I didn't feel comfortable with it. On top of that, the prep they give you makes me crampy so I didn't want to have that on top of menstral cramps.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have always planned my operations right after my period was over so I wouldn't have a problem. It is really funny when I would tell my doctors' of my plans. They always agreed with me and my plans. I advise you to do the same. Why suffer with the second problem. I am a heavy menstral bleeder, I would never ever do a colonoscopy at the same time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't know if you get painful menstrual cramps, but I would not have such a procedure done around my period, because the prescription med I take for pain probably wouldn't be good in combo with what they give you for the colonoscopy. Not to mention the pain of having your period when you are sitting on the toilet literally pooping your guts out during the prep...no need to add some menstrual blood into the mix!Rescheduling might be a good idea. One other possibility, if you by chance are on birth control pills, is to take active pills a littler longer, so your period will come later. I think I took mine an extra day or two before my colonoscopy, because I wanted to make sure it didn't start while I was still all groggy from the procedure or otherwise recovering. It would be a good idea to check with your dr before doing this, esp. if it would involve taking them more than a day or two longer. It shouldn't be a problem, tho... I now take active pills continuously, with my gyno's blessing, and haven't had a period in at least 3 months.
No more worse IBS symptoms during my period, no more bad cramps!
Anyhow, I wanted to mention that possibility. Because I know those things can take a while to reschedule sometimes, and it's nice to just get it over with... If you do take bc pills for, say, 2 days longer, if it won't bother you to get your period on different days of the month, just stop taking active pills one day earlier for the next 2 months.Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with atp. Plus that's a really gross thing to go through. Having something up your butt and knowing people can see your "string". I wouldn't want to be in that position.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi, Lost - had the same experience and it was "small potatoes." Since I am menopausal, there was no knowing for sure when my period would hit. Naturally, it hit a week or so late, the of my colonoscopy. And, I don't use tampons. It was no problem with the doc or me (and I am verrrry modest). At that point, with someone probing your rear end, there is little modesty left, anyway. I would add, though, that I usually don't have cramps.Pat

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes, I'd say it can be doable. But my personal choice for various reasons is to reschedule, which I did do once (I was interrogated about rescheduling, but no big deal).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much for your opinions. I'm still not sure what to do because I am pre-menopausal too and my periods come between 22 and 28 days right now. Unfortunately, if I do reschedule , it could keep happening and since my husband travels a lot it makes it particularly hard to find a safe date. My periods are fairly heavy but I tend to be hungrier, more tired and prone to migraines during my period so it does not go well with the prep stuff! It is not urgent that I have the colonoscopy but I am due to get one done and I hate to keep putting it off. I think I will wait until it gets a little closer and see what happens. Thanks for your help and opinions!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, yeah, it's doable. :) Heck, I started my period during my 'scope, last month. So did one of my best friends, during her recent 'scope.In fact, I started my period 1 hour before my laparoscopy last week! What IS it with Mother Nature, anyway?
She's got a wacko sense of humor, all right.By the way, my laparoscopy turned out fine. They thought I had an ovarian cyst, but turned out to be nothing but my fibroids, apparently. So, between my 'scope and my 'scopy, all my "plumbing" appears to be OK, and I didn't have to have anything taken out. Looks like my occasional abdominal cramps ARE due to IBS, as I suspected. What a relief!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.