Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my first colonoscopy and upper GI Monday at 9am, and my doctor's office has ill-prepared me for it. And being as today is Sunday, I have no one to call for answers. Can anyone help?1. I'm doing the HalfLytely prep- what time should I start it at?2. Also, in looking for answers to my HalfLytely question online, I see that a lot of places tell you to stop taking iron pills anywhere from 1 week to 24 hours in advance, which was not mentioned to be in any of the paperwork my doctor sent me (which I only received on New Years Eve). I've also seen a lot of reasons for this- they turn the stools black, they make it harder for the stools to loosen and some out, they effect the lining of the colon... Anyone know what the deal is with this and whether or not they'll still be able to do the colonoscopy? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry it took so long for somebody to respond to your post! I've had a few colonoscopies over the years and they never do give you a whole lot of info in advance. Just about everybody takes vitamins, suppliments, etc, on a regular basis and I've never had issues with that (just don't take any pills the morning of the procedure!) I think it would only be a problem if somebody was taking some extreme amount of iron supps.Hopefully you got through the prep ok (it's the worst part of the whole thing). I found it's smarter to start drinking it about an hour or two BEFORE the time they tell you, and so you will be done before 8pm no matter what. People generally don't need to drink the whole thing, and can't. And drinking it faster doesn't make it work any better, usually just makes people nauseous.Never had any problems that prevented them from being able to do it. Just the usual screwups like last time the nurse was confused about why I was there I guess and kept telling me there would be no sedation whatsoever, when I had been scheduled to be completely knocked out. She said she didn't read my chart, lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts