Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an a sufferer of IBS C for 12 years and I am only 26 years old. I pretty much gave up on life and only had one choice left. The colonoscopy was my last resort and the test came out showing a normal functioning intestinte. I wanted something to be wrong to prove I was not crazy. Now it is the day after the test and I am in more pain then ever. How do I explain to people that all this pain is all in my head?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
(((((Karen))))) The pain is NOT ALL in your head hon. I know it is an awfully long post, but please try to read Eric's "4th Attempt" post on the page here. And post all of your questions here on the board. But understand this, IBS is not imagined. It is a true disorder. Meaning, something isn't functioning correctly. You will be told that it is a "functional disorder" and that simply means that nothing "looks" wrong on the tradtional diagnostics (tests), that DOES NOT mean something isn't wrong. It means that they just can't "see" it. You can manage symptoms. No cure for this as yet, but symptom management can and is accomplished by many here. It is alot of trial and error. And all of us are different. What helps one may not help another. So if I were you I would just pick your worst symptom and check out what others have tried to manage it. Use all of the forums that apply to you. Have you checked out the "Constipation" Forum yet? Also the "5-HT4" Forum would be good for you to read too. This is something I learned; educating myself about IBS in general and my symptoms was key to getting me to symptom management. I read and read here and asked tons of questions. I strongly urge you to do the same. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for what we have. However, I'm grateful that IBS is ALL I have.The Forums I mentioned can be found at the bottom of the page here by the "Hop To:" navigator. Here is a great GI site as well that has some basic and easy to understand info. http://www.gicare.com Click on "Diseases" and then click on "IBS". They have a link on the bottom of the IBS page that says "Related diets" which has a list of foods and their fiber contents as well as explaining the different kinds of fiber and which helps what. Check it out.Have hope hon. And never give up. We are all here and will help as much as we can.
BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Forgot to mention that perhaps the pain you are having today, post colonoscopy, might be gas. I remember them telling me to expel the gas right after the test or I would have the mother of all belly aches. So I would suggest you eat and keep yourself moving. Take a walk too if you can. (I know it is bitter cold out there so perhaps an indoor walk might be better.) Have a cup of peppermint tea too. Peppermint is a natural smooth muscle relaxant and may relax any gut spasms you might be having which may in turn allow the gas to pass.Hope you feel better real soon.BQ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.