Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had this done? A nurse that I was talking to on the phone said this was an option to drinking the 1 gallon of Go-lytely ####. I dismissed it right away because I didn't even want to think about someone putting a tube down my nose and putting a gallon of liquid into my stomach that way, but the more I read about the awful puke-inducing taste of go-lytely, the more I'm considering it. My procedure is on Friday, so if anyone could reply thursday night into friday morning, that'd be great. Thanks to anyone who bothers replying!

·
Registered
922 Posts
while I admit that it is not fun to drink this stuff one glass at a time over 3 or 4 hours and spend a bunch of time on the toilet, I don't think putting a tube down the nose and loading your stomach with a gallon of this stuff all at once would be a very good idea. This process is not that bad, and you can get the cherry or pineapple flavored. The trick is to just drink down the glassfull and don't linger and taste it. The aftertaste is not that bad, just the going to the toilet and pouring liquid, which will still happen either way. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
while I admit that it is not fun to drink this stuff one glass at a time over 3 or 4 hours and spend a bunch of time on the toilet, I don't think putting a tube down the nose and loading your stomach with a gallon of this stuff all at once would be a very good idea. This process is not that bad, and you can get the cherry or pineapple flavored. The trick is to just drink down the glassfull and don't linger and taste it. The aftertaste is not that bad, just the going to the toilet and pouring liquid, which will still happen either way. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
581 Posts
I didn't have to drink anything near a gallon of prep. Fleet makes a prep that I think it like 4 ounces total. Check out the alternatives, having a tube down your nose is NOT fun. It gives you a serious sore throat.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I didn't have to drink anything near a gallon of prep. Fleet makes a prep that I think it like 4 ounces total. Check out the alternatives, having a tube down your nose is NOT fun. It gives you a serious sore throat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Britta, I have used the Fleet Prep Kit 3 on several occasions for colonoscopies, barium enema's etc. They are the only way to go in my opinion. Why would anyone agree to drink a gallon of the worst tasting #### ever bottled when they can hold their breath and drink down a half a glass in one big gulp and it's over?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree Britta, I have used the Fleet Prep Kit 3 on several occasions for colonoscopies, barium enema's etc. They are the only way to go in my opinion. Why would anyone agree to drink a gallon of the worst tasting #### ever bottled when they can hold their breath and drink down a half a glass in one big gulp and it's over?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking 6 Dulcolax tablets (and a modified diet) over two days time was my idea of a great prep....I am spoiled now...its that way or NO way now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taking 6 Dulcolax tablets (and a modified diet) over two days time was my idea of a great prep....I am spoiled now...its that way or NO way now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stuff is not all that bad if you chill it alot. It has only a slight salty taste. I think most of the concern is that you 'think' it must taste bad because... to do what it does "it must be nasty." Another trick is, as you drink, don't breath out of your nose. You can't taste something you can't smell.Flame on...Dell

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stuff is not all that bad if you chill it alot. It has only a slight salty taste. I think most of the concern is that you 'think' it must taste bad because... to do what it does "it must be nasty." Another trick is, as you drink, don't breath out of your nose. You can't taste something you can't smell.Flame on...Dell

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ask if you can drink cranberry juice with the prep. When i drank a glass of the prep, I would chase it with a few gulps of cranberry juice cocktail. It killed the taste of the prep. Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ask if you can drink cranberry juice with the prep. When i drank a glass of the prep, I would chase it with a few gulps of cranberry juice cocktail. It killed the taste of the prep. Good Luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Be proactive and demand an alternative prep. That is what I did for my last colonoscopy because I just cannot tolerate the Golytely routine. My doctor was perfectly agreeable. The most popular (among gastroenterologists) alternative involves taking Fleet phospho soda oral laxative and dulcolax tablets. You have to be on a clear liquid diet for slightly longer and some doctors add an enema or suppository the morning of the exam. I actually did some research on preps and found several studies in the medical literature which indicate that the Phospho soda - dulcolax prep is just as effective in cleaning the colon as Golytely. Having had it for my last colonoscopy, I definitely recommend phospho soda - dulcolax over Golytely, which for me caused intolerable nausea, bloating and cramping. By contrast, the alternative prep is pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Be proactive and demand an alternative prep. That is what I did for my last colonoscopy because I just cannot tolerate the Golytely routine. My doctor was perfectly agreeable. The most popular (among gastroenterologists) alternative involves taking Fleet phospho soda oral laxative and dulcolax tablets. You have to be on a clear liquid diet for slightly longer and some doctors add an enema or suppository the morning of the exam. I actually did some research on preps and found several studies in the medical literature which indicate that the Phospho soda - dulcolax prep is just as effective in cleaning the colon as Golytely. Having had it for my last colonoscopy, I definitely recommend phospho soda - dulcolax over Golytely, which for me caused intolerable nausea, bloating and cramping. By contrast, the alternative prep is pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have real problems keeping the phospo soda down. It is gag city for me. I find the magnesium citrate a lot more palatable as long as it is cold. My fav prep is a bottle of the mag citrate and 2 ducolax pills. It works quite well but you need to drink a lot of water before the prep. If you don't drink enough water then the prep can be harder on you and doesn't work as well or as quickly. When you are running clear, you can stop the prep and stop drinking. Once you stop drinking water, the prep slows right down and starts to quit. Don't forget to pick up some baby wipes for your soon to be sore bottom. Everytime I have a scope or barium enema, I go to my favorite fast food restaurant after and let me tell you, it is the fastest food I have ever eaten lol. Definately a low calorie meal so I do not feel guitly after. Silly isn't it?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have real problems keeping the phospo soda down. It is gag city for me. I find the magnesium citrate a lot more palatable as long as it is cold. My fav prep is a bottle of the mag citrate and 2 ducolax pills. It works quite well but you need to drink a lot of water before the prep. If you don't drink enough water then the prep can be harder on you and doesn't work as well or as quickly. When you are running clear, you can stop the prep and stop drinking. Once you stop drinking water, the prep slows right down and starts to quit. Don't forget to pick up some baby wipes for your soon to be sore bottom. Everytime I have a scope or barium enema, I go to my favorite fast food restaurant after and let me tell you, it is the fastest food I have ever eaten lol. Definately a low calorie meal so I do not feel guitly after. Silly isn't it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you find the idea of drinking Golytely difficult, you would really hate having a naso-gastric tube inserted. I think your friend was talking hypothetically. I have seen this done for people in hospital who already have a naso-gastric tube inserted, but I can't imagine any dr ordering one just to instil a bowel prep.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you find the idea of drinking Golytely difficult, you would really hate having a naso-gastric tube inserted. I think your friend was talking hypothetically. I have seen this done for people in hospital who already have a naso-gastric tube inserted, but I can't imagine any dr ordering one just to instil a bowel prep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts