Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very C lately and am having the colonoscopy on Mon. My Dr said if you are very C then the Fleet Phospho-soda would not work and she gave me a script for Visicol. Those tablets are way too big for me and the idea of taking three every 15 min for 1 1/2 hes with 8 oz of water makes me not want to have the test done. Too much water and pills,even if I cut them in half to swallow. I am thinking of going with the fleet phospho-soda and hopeing for the best. Has anyone who is C NOT have luck with this? Anyone have any advise?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm never C... but you can ask your dr about taking GoLytley (sp?) or NuLytely which is the gallon of gross-tasting stuff. I would SO much rather have done the prep you are talking about...I can take pills much better than drink gross liquids...am horrible with liquid medications. But if you don't think you can do the pills, or the phospho-soda, ask your dr about the gallon of stuff if you think that sounds easier than the pills.If I figured it right, the pills would be taken 7 times, 3 pills each time. Just how big are these suckers? Can you take them with something other than water, then follow with the water? Can you break them in half if you need to? (Of course, this means you effectively swallow 6 pills...)Talk to your dr's office about your options.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm never C... but you can ask your dr about taking GoLytley (sp?) or NuLytely which is the gallon of gross-tasting stuff. I would SO much rather have done the prep you are talking about...I can take pills much better than drink gross liquids...am horrible with liquid medications. But if you don't think you can do the pills, or the phospho-soda, ask your dr about the gallon of stuff if you think that sounds easier than the pills.If I figured it right, the pills would be taken 7 times, 3 pills each time. Just how big are these suckers? Can you take them with something other than water, then follow with the water? Can you break them in half if you need to? (Of course, this means you effectively swallow 6 pills...)Talk to your dr's office about your options.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pills are horse pills. I'm not kidding. No I could never ever do the golytley. I want to do the fleet phospho-soda but am afraid it won't work. It has in the past though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pills are horse pills. I'm not kidding. No I could never ever do the golytley. I want to do the fleet phospho-soda but am afraid it won't work. It has in the past though.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Noreen, You could get by on the Fleets if you have b/4 I guess. But perhaps call him and ask the Doc if you can do this in conjunction with something else b/4 like Ducolax or whatever. Or perhaps you'd have to change the fast or something. Just ask the Doc and tell him the pills are HUGE for ya. See what he says. The worst that can happen is he says no. But as far as I know, the Dr and the nurses at the hospital the day of my colonoscopy said as long as you are running clear, you're cleaned out enough. Ask the Doc though, you have nothing to lose.Good Luck with this.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Noreen, You could get by on the Fleets if you have b/4 I guess. But perhaps call him and ask the Doc if you can do this in conjunction with something else b/4 like Ducolax or whatever. Or perhaps you'd have to change the fast or something. Just ask the Doc and tell him the pills are HUGE for ya. See what he says. The worst that can happen is he says no. But as far as I know, the Dr and the nurses at the hospital the day of my colonoscopy said as long as you are running clear, you're cleaned out enough. Ask the Doc though, you have nothing to lose.Good Luck with this.BQ

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I�ve compiled this information from posts made in the past about Colonoscopy Preparation on that Forum. Notice the remarks with Fleet Soda. Using it alone as directed did NOT work for me!!!!!! I therefore suggest a liquid diet and no fiber for 2 days before the prep. Then ask how many Ducolax you will be allowed to take and start them before the day you are told to!!! That should work!!!! Well it makes sense. I Quote, �I have posted this prep many times in the past because I think it is bound to be the easiest. It was originally suggested to me by a long time board poster but my Gastro doc also endorsed it as effective and thorough when done correctly. I begin four or five days prior to the test by taking in a lighter food intake. Increase liquids and no hard or slow to digest foods. Three days before the test I take two Dulcolax tablets at 10 PM. The next morning you begin an even lighter intake of food. You take two more Dulcolax at 10 AM. Two more at 4 PM. Take in as many liquids as you can (any clear liquids are fine). Nothing by mouth after midnight. the test is usually scheduled quite early the following morning. Thats it..no more or less. All squeeky clean with no horrible #### to drink. I think the modified diet has a lot to do with the effectiveness.�Other People:Drink white Grapefruit juice it is a clear liquid and tastes good.The Fleet Soda is easier to drink than the Golytely or Nulytley since you don't need to drink as much yucky stuff. Calcium Citrate:One person found a Doctor that did not require drinking a gallon of that awful Golytley stuff. They were required to follow a 24 hour clear liquid diet the day before the procedure, and drank 2 -10 oz bottles of calcium citrate and took 4 Ducolax tabs. This cleaned them out.Fleet Phospho-Soda:You can mix it with sugary water, since you can only drink clear liquids. For drinking the Fleet Soda plugging your nose helps. The smell of this one will stay with you forever. It is easy to swallow if you can�t smell it. Plug your nose with cotton so you can't smell anything.. That really helps not tasting the junk. Suck on lemon wedges to get the taste of the stuff out of your mouth as soon as you are finished drinking. This works well.Someone said they were told to take 1 - 1/2 of a Gravol right after drinking the Phospho-soda and it worked so they were not nauseous. Gravol is some anti nausea pill.Some people are also told to use Ducolax Laxatives with the Fleet Soda.Golytely:The difference between Golytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable.Some people have trouble drinking all that liquid so fast every 15 to 20 minutes. One person said a Doc let her start drinking at noon the day before and drink it more slowly....a glassful every 45 minutes. Some say every 30 minutes.If you go on a liquid diet for days before the prep you wouldn't have to drink all the Golytely and yet would run clear fluid and/or mucous. The longer a liquid diet the faster you run clear with this stuff.It has been said if the Diarrhea from all the stuff starts to run clear you can stop drinking the Golytely. Some people have run clear after consuming half a gallon of Golytely. If it is very cold that is said to help. Having your nose plugged and sucking on a lemon wedge might help also_Other advice was to rinse out your mouth with Sprite (or 7 Up) after each drink, then spit it out. That helped a lot and stopped the gagging. Do not swallow the Sprite, just rinse out your mouth with it. It made the whole prep a lot more bearable. Hope some of this helps.See this site:Colonoscopy etc.
Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I�ve compiled this information from posts made in the past about Colonoscopy Preparation on that Forum. Notice the remarks with Fleet Soda. Using it alone as directed did NOT work for me!!!!!! I therefore suggest a liquid diet and no fiber for 2 days before the prep. Then ask how many Ducolax you will be allowed to take and start them before the day you are told to!!! That should work!!!! Well it makes sense. I Quote, �I have posted this prep many times in the past because I think it is bound to be the easiest. It was originally suggested to me by a long time board poster but my Gastro doc also endorsed it as effective and thorough when done correctly. I begin four or five days prior to the test by taking in a lighter food intake. Increase liquids and no hard or slow to digest foods. Three days before the test I take two Dulcolax tablets at 10 PM. The next morning you begin an even lighter intake of food. You take two more Dulcolax at 10 AM. Two more at 4 PM. Take in as many liquids as you can (any clear liquids are fine). Nothing by mouth after midnight. the test is usually scheduled quite early the following morning. Thats it..no more or less. All squeeky clean with no horrible #### to drink. I think the modified diet has a lot to do with the effectiveness.�Other People:Drink white Grapefruit juice it is a clear liquid and tastes good.The Fleet Soda is easier to drink than the Golytely or Nulytley since you don't need to drink as much yucky stuff. Calcium Citrate:One person found a Doctor that did not require drinking a gallon of that awful Golytley stuff. They were required to follow a 24 hour clear liquid diet the day before the procedure, and drank 2 -10 oz bottles of calcium citrate and took 4 Ducolax tabs. This cleaned them out.Fleet Phospho-Soda:You can mix it with sugary water, since you can only drink clear liquids. For drinking the Fleet Soda plugging your nose helps. The smell of this one will stay with you forever. It is easy to swallow if you can�t smell it. Plug your nose with cotton so you can't smell anything.. That really helps not tasting the junk. Suck on lemon wedges to get the taste of the stuff out of your mouth as soon as you are finished drinking. This works well.Someone said they were told to take 1 - 1/2 of a Gravol right after drinking the Phospho-soda and it worked so they were not nauseous. Gravol is some anti nausea pill.Some people are also told to use Ducolax Laxatives with the Fleet Soda.Golytely:The difference between Golytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable.Some people have trouble drinking all that liquid so fast every 15 to 20 minutes. One person said a Doc let her start drinking at noon the day before and drink it more slowly....a glassful every 45 minutes. Some say every 30 minutes.If you go on a liquid diet for days before the prep you wouldn't have to drink all the Golytely and yet would run clear fluid and/or mucous. The longer a liquid diet the faster you run clear with this stuff.It has been said if the Diarrhea from all the stuff starts to run clear you can stop drinking the Golytely. Some people have run clear after consuming half a gallon of Golytely. If it is very cold that is said to help. Having your nose plugged and sucking on a lemon wedge might help also_Other advice was to rinse out your mouth with Sprite (or 7 Up) after each drink, then spit it out. That helped a lot and stopped the gagging. Do not swallow the Sprite, just rinse out your mouth with it. It made the whole prep a lot more bearable. Hope some of this helps.See this site:Colonoscopy etc.
Vikee

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Noreen,The phospho soda has always helped me in the past to get things "going" when I have been very "C".If your test is Monday, maybe you could do the Phospho two days in row....Saturday and Sunday...1 full bottle each day. That ought to clean you out. Make sure to eat lightly for these two days and drink lots of liquids. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Noreen,The phospho soda has always helped me in the past to get things "going" when I have been very "C".If your test is Monday, maybe you could do the Phospho two days in row....Saturday and Sunday...1 full bottle each day. That ought to clean you out. Make sure to eat lightly for these two days and drink lots of liquids. Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.