Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all how bad does all the prep make you feel, do you get cramping with all the emptying out? Second, my MD says I must do the prep as printed on instruction sheet, but I only weigh 100 lbs. Doesn't seem like I should do the same as a 200lb.person!? Third, are adhesions visible from the inside of the colon? Forth, when they take biopsies during the procedure do you bleed afterwards? Fifth, are you able to function normally the following day-work, etc.? Thanks in advance, this is obviously my first and I know many of you have had this experience before.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
Body weight has no bearing on the prep since that it outside the gut and the prep is intended to remove what is inside.If you had surgery inside the gut itself, I think adhesions could occur there and be visible, but it certainly seems possible for them to be about peritoneum invisible to the scope.Biopsies should not cause bleeding although there is always a small risk of bleeding (especially if you have a bleeding disorder).

· Registered
119 Posts
Hi,Everyone preps for a colonscopy the same way.No, you can't see adhesions on the outside of the colon and there are no adhesions on the inside. You should have no bleeding after the biopsy.------------------BARBARA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, trust me you're going to be fine with all the prep. and procedure stuff. I've been though two colonoscopies and one sigmoidoscopy. I'm hardly a fan of these tests, but it's better for them to "go in" and figure out what's going on than to worry about your health!Yes, the night before is tough for some people. What did they give you to prep, the little bottle or the big bottle? I recommend lots of gatorade/all sport for the entire day before. I mix it with pedialite becuase I'm suseptable to dehydration. As for cramps and stuff, my dr. told me I could take meds. The only thing is that you may not absorb them because of what's going on. Purchase some good books for the bathroom. I like crossword puzzles 'cause they keep my mind off what's going on. Some people don't even end up in there that often, and some do (like me). It varies widely. If you're really nervous, and you're not opposed to general anesthesia, I would suggest talking to your doctor. I went all the way under for my second one and when I need to go in again, I will go with the same option. I didn't feel a thing after they stuck me with the IV. I went to work after my last scope experience, but planned the sig. and 1st colonoscopy for Fridays. You may want to consider asking if you possibly could stay home the day after (just in case), and then you can see how you feel.I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

· Registered
6,913 Posts
thronequeen:I havan't had the colonoscopy but had 2 sigmoscopies done. The first time was several years ago and I went into work after it. It would have been better to go home as I had a lot of air come out all day. The second time I just took the whole day off. It's probably best to take the whole day, and if possible schedule it for a Friday.A coworker had a colonoscopy done and went under. She said it was very easy that way.Let us know how you do. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi-I think the prep is the same if you are a little person or a big one, I think it depends on the DR or the facility as to the specifics. I don't remember having alot of cramping during the emptying process, I do remember being on the throne just about every half hour the entire night before. Most places sedate you for the proceedure, I think Versid with or without Demerol is commonly used. Most people don't remember the proceedure at all-Versid has amnesia properties. I had a RARE bad reaction(it didnt work on me)which they tell me is highly unusual and will more than likely NOT happen to you. After the proceedure I passed alot of gas for a long time but many people are able to go right back to work either that day or the next. I was hugely relieved afterward as all they could come up with was IBS. Regarding bleeding afterwards, the DR told me I had a huge roid on the right side and that I might bleed for a few days after having a BM from all the manipulation, but I didnt. I didnt have any polyps or biopsys done, most people I know who did, did not experience any added discomfort or bleeding afterwards. Hope this helps and that you get a good report,(they should tell you what they find as they do the test or right after)
------------------Nancy

· Registered
820 Posts
This test is by far the lesser of the evils! I was completely out and don't remember a thing. The prep for me wasn't bad, just a liquid diet the day before and a small bottle of stuff to drink with water. I didn't experience any cramping, just complete cleansing of the colon. I couldn't go to the work following the procedure because of the anesthesia. The next day I went to work, but my insides felt kinda shaky (of course I wear heels to work) and a bit sore on my left side where my pain usually is; it took a couple of days for me to feel back to normal. It is nothing to worry about and I would have one in a heartbeat as opposed to having either one of the other tests!! Good luck and good results!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thankful today for all these kind, sympathetic people who answered my post. Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!!(Hoping we won't all pay tomorrow for the great food we eat today!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi throne, I just wanted to clarify something flux said. There IS a chance that you may bleed after having biopsies done, and that was stated on my recovery instruction sheet. Think about it, they snip pieces of tissue out, so they bleed. I dont mean gushing of blood from the rectum but you may see some visible blood in your stool for a few days afterward. Hope all goes well for you

· Registered
39 Posts
Thronequeen,I've only had sigmoidoscopies myself, but as for the prep, i suggest you get your friends together. The first time I had mine, my friends all came over when I was drinking the citro-mag, and we had a gas of a time (yes the pun was intended). we were all laughiong ourselves silly b/c of my running to the bathroom and all the accompanyinig noises. After that they all made a deal with me, they would prep with me too the next time I got one. SO the second time, myself and three friends all sat down with some monty python vids ad each drank a bottle of citro-mag. this time was even funnier, because I only had one bathroom in my basement suite, so people were running outside and doing it in the bushes, I know it sounds bad, but it kept my spirits up.

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Hi Buttburn:You've got some really good friends! Hang on to them. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.