Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been several years since I had my last colonoscopy, that one went OK, but I used Phospho-soda at that time and I didn't have any troubles with the prep at all. This time tho I am using 4 bisacodyl tablets and drinking the magnesium citrate. Hoping it goes well. I know from past experience that I'm not always able to get all of the prep down, it usually makes me too ill (nauseated). I was diagnosed with IBS-D many years ago, but over the past year and a half my symptoms have become much more severe, and because of a few members of my immediate family having colitis, we need to get this colonoscopy done to see what I am dealing with, my doctor thinks I may have colitis. I applied for social security disability in June of 2009, so another reason I need to get the colonoscopy done. Anyone ever had the magnesium citrate before? Is it a lot like the Phospho-soda prep?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Epona try our GI Related Diagnostic Test Forum and perhaps do a search there. I'm sure you will find some info.I wish you all the best with this.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Looks like not many people on here have had this done.....at least with the prep I am using....

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Epona no worries now... as soon as you are running clear>>>> you are DONE prepping! It is a newer prep I guess. But a few have done it that I remember anyway. And most had trouble finishing ALL of the Mag Citrate.. so keep that in mind.I don't think they want you vomitting so.. don't force things, if you know what I mean. I am sure it will all be ok. I have you on my brain for tomorrow.. so you won't be alone.... I will be "with" you in spirit!Keep us posted!XO

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Finally back on here..... well, the prep went OK, at first. I took the 4 bisacodyl tablets, and then that evening drank the mag citrate, I was surprised that I was able to get it down OK, and I didn't throw it back up. Whew. So, after several runs to the biffy, I seemed to be cleaned out, no problems, didn't feel that bad....and I went to bed. I woke up about 2:30 in the morning tho.... and had to make another run to the biffy, and then I got faint, dizzy, sweaty and chilled.... I have never felt so dizzy and faint ever..... tried to make it back to bed, and almost made it..... and then collapsed. I have no recall of passing out, last thing I remember I was reaching out for my bed..... and then I was waking up and I was flat on my back on the bedroom floor a couple feet from my bed. Fortunately I didn't hit my head or get hurt, but I was still weak and I had to lay on the floor for awhile. I live alone, so I was a bit scared.... I did manage to make it back to bed, laid down and just dozed off.....until the phone rang a few hours later and it was my friend who was giving me a ride to the colonoscopy. I told her what happened.Anyway....long story short... the colonoscopy went OK, I had a new GI doc tho, and she was rude and abrupt and I really did not much care for her. My blood pressure was 200 over 80 right before the procedure tho, and that had me worried. I was not 100% out during the colonoscopy but I don't think I was in any discomfort..... I will never go back to that GI doc tho. Anyway, that was yesterday.... today I am not faint or weak, but I am still having diarrhea and abdominal discomfort, so I talked to my regular doc's nurse today, I will follow up with my regular doc tomorrow. So far results of the colonoscopy showed some diverticular disease, and we are waiting for the biopsies to check for colitis, we should know more tomorrow. This diarrhea yet tonite and the abdominal pain has me a bit worried, so if I still feel this way tomorrow morning I may go in to see my regular doctor. I had a couple colonoscopies several years ago, and I didn't feel quite so lousy afterwards, so I hope this new GI doc didn't do something and screw up..... I'm sure the diarrhea and abdominal pain are just form my already-irritated colon, and I had been having troubles the week before anyway. But, I am still a bit concerned.....Thank you for your good thoughts BQ! ~Renee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts