Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people have had colonoscopies? One of my doctors told me to have one then another said that after the GI and the Cat Scan that it wasn't necessary. I'm caught in the middle, not sure what to do, I don't want to go through the procedure.kren###localnet.com

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Joy, and welcome to the Board. I have only had a flexible sig and barium enema done so far. I've always heard that the colonoscopy is the best procedure to have done, so I'd go ahead with it if I were you. I wish my doc would authorize one for me!I've never had a GI or cat scan done. What type of problems are you having?JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joy,PLEASE get the colonoscopy! It is a very important part of the diagnosis and can help rule out other potential problems.It makes me so sad that people like Jean have had problems getting this very important test done! It just doesn't make sense to me that with the symptoms we have they should deny this test to some.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Joy..I'd have the colonoscopy,it pretty much tells you everything,and puts your mind at ease after its over.I was scared to death,but it wasn't that bad ,the prep is what got to me,but alot of my friends had no problem with that part, so everyones different,but the actual test is nothing to be afraid of.The Today show just did a segment on a colonoscopy to show people that theres nothing to it.If I were you I'd get it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've had 2 in the last 3 years!!! Had one 2 weeks ago, not one problem at all, easier for me then going to the dentist for a cleaning!!! I was out shopping all day 2 hours after the test was over...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi joy, I wish I had never had the barium enema and went straight to the colonoscopy. I found it far easier on me all the way around and the diagnosis isn't complete without a colonoscopy. Jackie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Joy...I would strongly advise you to go for the procedure...although it is invasive ...it can rule out many diseases...some Gi do random biopsies like in mine to test for microscopic colitis. I have had 2 done in a short space of time...not usual but I insisted with my Doc and he went along with my line...basically that if there is nothing up then my mind would rest if it confirmed and being a very risk free procedure it worth the going thro the PREP....thats the worst part...GO for the little bottle ie Fleet oral rather than Kleen prep which i had the second time...I suppose drinking 200ml of something disgusting is better than 4000ml of something less horrible. I mean one go of Fleet was better than taking lots of Kleen prep.The other thing is try to eat lightly before the prep since then it will be easier to clean the bowel quickly. You may lose some weight i lost 2-3 lbs and it takes me ages to get that back.I hope it goes well...its the least worrying procedure...I'd have another if it was essential anyday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am disturbed that people are saying to just have the colonoscopy, without cautioning that person that there are risks, as there are with any invasive procedure. My experience was a bit different than that of others on the board: The procedure was started - the next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room a couple of hours later with a wound on my abdomen. After another day in the hospital, I was able to go home. The surgeon explained that my colon had been punctured, and that emergency surgery had been performed (the G/E, supposedly one of the most adept at performing colonoscopies, never showed his face). I was then presented bills totaling some four thousand dollars for the surgeon and hospital/lab - but also a fifteen hundred dollar plus bill for the colonoscopy. I called the G/E's office to get the results, and was told that they had an incomplete view of the descending colon only. Malpractice action is impossible in this state, since this is considered to be one of the normal risks associated with the procedure (I think I remember signing something, but it was after they had started the medication for the procedure). Additionally, if you start legal action, it has to be approved by a board of physicians, appointed by the state. The latest is that my G.P. wants me to go back to this clown to get another colonoscopy, since no usable results were found by the first (aborted) colonoscopy. So if I seem a bit negative to the idea, and think that doctors are jerks, this may provide a bit of insight, as to why.The lession to be learned from this is to question everything, and do research on your own, before agreeing to any type of invasive test. Physicians take no responsibility for their actions, and if something goes wrong, they throw the responsibility right back at you.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is an accepted risk of the proceedure, and MOST physicians will give you information warning you of this. It is for this reason that a flex sig is done in the office, and a colonoscopy is done in the hospital.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
oh, blauer, how terrible for you!still, the colonoscopy is the best test. because it IS invasive, many docs will wait to do this test -- or will do other less-invasive tests instead. my own doc waited months and months before even giving me a sigmoidoscopy (NOT good judgment on his part, in my case). because of what he found there, he had to give me a colonoscopy three weeks later anyway! (and, I'll now have them every 1-3 years for the rest of my life!) anyway, I think it depends on your own unique set of symptoms, etc., etc., as to which tests you should have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi JeanG,No lasting problems from the experience - the gut was cranky from the antibiotics I was given - the whole situation just made me mad, especially since I don't know how it happened (did the gastro doc screw up, or is there a weakness in the wall of my colon). I'm not sure how to proceed - I hear it's pretty hard to feel dignified while undergoing the barium enema, but that may be the way to go for me - hopefully, my colon won't pop like a balloon when they introduce air into the bowel. I've has IBS for 33 years, so I'm not particularly worried about having anything worse than IBS (if it were cancer, I figure I'd be dead 20 years ago), it's just that I've passed the 50 year mark (how did THAT happen so soon ?).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts