Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does ayone know what is the recommended interval between check-up colonoscopies? I remember a doc telling me something like "If you have a colonoscopy which shows everything's OK then you should be in the clear for ten years" but that seems a long time? It was such a painful procedure I'm not in a rush for another! (Even though they had me on medication . .)Would appreciate any info on the subject!Many thanks, Ama

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I think the time frame answer is different for each individual depending on family history and ones personal body condition. I was told about every 4 years for me.And regarding that pain stuff.....Next time tell them you absolutely must have big meds for the procedure. Demand your humane care and tell them it's the humane way or no way.If your doctor will not assure you a painless and sleepy process walk out of the office and call another doctor. It's absolutely insane to subject people to pain and torture and a whole bunch of bad memories.I slept totally through mine.I was ouchy afterwards but I am not traumatized from that particular experience.( other experiencs maybe but not that one)I do not fear my future colonoscopies because I know that there is a way to make these things as easy as possible.You don't need to suffer.Kamie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had the Colonoscopy done onm 9/6/2002. The prep was yhe worst part, but not that bad, you really feel cleaned out. Doc gave me a mild sedative, next thing you know I am in recovery, woke up at first , then noticed I had gas, let it rip, and then was sensitive in that area for about 4 days, and still have IBS. I need to have the procedure done in 5 years, I am 36 years old so I will be 41 for the next procedure, not looking foward to it, but definitly, not scared.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
President Bush had a colonoscopy 2 years after they found polyps.My gi doctor said I should have my third in 2 years since they found one polyp, and Crohn's.I waited 4 years for my 2nd colonoscopy, which my GI said was too long.O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.